Things are getting WAY out of hand

Help Support CattleToday:

That's high, but a low hour 4640 still has a lot of utility for it's age. New stuff is expensive too, and has all of the emissions BS that nobody wants to deal with.

We got an old 4430 a couple years ago, I put more hours on that tractor than any other. They are a joy to run IMO, even though the quad range is a little bit of a crash box.

I went to an estate sale auction this past Saturday to bid on a 2006 Lincoln Town Car with 49,000 miles and watched it get bid up to $17,500.00.

This was a $7,000 car dammit!!!
A good friend of mine has a Buick. Loaded. 77,000 mi. They gave $6,500 for it several years ago. Had a dealer come out and look at it. The car dealer told him that he was a damn fool if he took less than 9,000

Well why not? Their are 3/4 ton trucks with $80,000 price tags and no one blinks an eye. I rather spend $50,000 on a 40 year old tractor than $17500 on a shiny new one the way stuff is built today. The $10,000 I sunk into the engine, clutch, hydraulics and AC on a 20 year old tractor 11 years ago is paying dividends now. I'd be scrapping the one the dealer tried to trade with me at the time about now.

I'm sure that's what the new owner is thinking. But in 1982 a 4640 cost $51,000. That tractor could be a nickel and diming pain in the butt. All the hoses and lines are still probably original. That stuff wears out whether the tractor is sitting or being used .

More plays into it too... use and need... If I'm making a living with the equipment, it needs to be ready to go all the time. I understand that. And yes, I replaced a 38 year old hydraulic hose just last week....started leaking while I was charging the new AC compressor...dry rotted tire on the rake came apart last week. Took both of them in today to have new put on. Never ending cycle, but no way new equipment pencils into this operation.

More plays into it too... use and need... If I'm making a living with the equipment, it needs to be ready to go all the time. I understand that. And yes, I replaced a 38 year old hydraulic hose just last week....started leaking while I was charging the new AC compressor...dry rotted tire on the rake came apart last week. Took both of them in today to have new put on. Never ending cycle, but no way new equipment pencils into this operation.
I hear' ya. I'm actually in the process of buying a 4640 from the local JD dealer. But I guarantee it won't cost anywhere near what that one brought.

Every load of silage for 600 or so cows we feed at work gets fed with a 4440 with the hourmeter rolled over. Extremely reliable, I've barely worked on it in 2 years aside from a few minor issues (fuel return line leak, changed the fuel sediment bowl, hydraulic line).

The buyers are probably thinking the tractors have no emissions, don't break down much and are comparing the 55,000 to something less reliable for 3x the price that they can't diagnose or repair themselves.

Hard to say for sure if it's a good idea to shell out that much for a 40 year old tractor but there's a good chance it works out just fine.

We are buying a new tractor. Got tired of things happening seems like ever time the older ones are used. We've put enough money in keeping them up to buy a new one after a few years, and just got tired of it. I know there will be issues with a new one too but hopefully it will be a good enough machine or at least the warranty will take care of it for a while.
They are scarce around here, There we're only about 5 tractors at the dealership we are buying from. None at another dealer that has two brands and they didn't know when they would get any in.

I'm sure that's what the new owner is thinking. But in 1982 a 4640 cost $51,000. That tractor could be a nickel and diming pain in the butt. All the hoses and lines are still probably original. That stuff wears out whether the tractor is sitting or being used .
That tractor is over $100K new. It would take a lot of nickles and dimes to make up that other $50k+... and I still don't know if you would have a tractor half as good.

People keep saying that John Deere said they are not making any more tractors this year or some thing to that effect. They are telling me the JD dealers are buying up the used ones to put on their lots and selling them with JD financing. Our JD dealerships are bare around here.

I have been trying to find a truck for my son. People are wanting $15K for trucks with 200k miles. That's insane.

That tractor is over $100K new. It would take a lot of nickles and dimes to make up that other $50k+... and I still don't know if you would have a tractor half as good.
The salesman I'm working with said they have a JD 7810 2wd with 3200hrs - $80,000. It looked like new. Just way out of my price range.

Salesman said you could buy a new tractor from Deere today, they hoped you would have it by spring, knew you wouldn't get it by the first of the year. I asked if you could lock in a pro e on new? He said "yes" with a guaranteed price increase by the time of delivery.

It's time to dig in and fix the old stuff for the foreseeable future.

The salesman I'm working with said they have a JD 7810 2wd with 3200hrs - $80,000. It looked like new. Just way out of my price range.

Salesman said you could buy a new tractor from Deere today, they hoped you would have it by spring, knew you wouldn't get it by the first of the year. I asked if you could lock in a pro e on new? He said "yes" with a guaranteed price increase by the time of delivery.

It's time to dig in and fix the old stuff for the foreseeable future.
Yup. I was basically given carte blanche to get a new 120-ish-hp tractor, 4wd, loader, what ever. Just finding one was the first problem. Then you were settling for what they found. I heard the same thing about ordering one. It sounded like all doom and gloom. I couldn't see spending that kind of money and having to settle for some thing you did not want or just being on the hook for when they decided to get a tractor to you. I asked the boss man if I could buy a used one to get us past this mess knowing we may sell it in a couple years to then get a new one. He was good with it. He had to do the same thing trying to buy a truck. After months they couldn't get their hands on what he wanted so he ended up just buying one to get by for now.

I don't know of any industry that isn't buying used to sell. Cars trucks tractors boats copiers computers etc…. We are all buying used to have inventory. The explanation doesn't make sense to me. Not to get political but look who is in charge

I've been told it's going to be at least a couple years before things get substantially better, too. Even if production gets rolling again, there's so much pent up demand that it's going to be a long time to build up inventory.
Great place to start will be the midterms in 2022. We can finish the job in 2024.

Latest posts