Things are getting very scary here.

Help Support CattleToday:

hillsdown

Reaction score
Well, I don't know how many of you know about this but western Canada has been suffering from a fuel shortage. We have been unable to get dyed diesel for two weeks now and as of yesterday there is no clear fuel around within a 150 mile radius.

It is affecting all aspects of life as there are not very many gas vehicles around in the work sector, ie oilfield ,trucking ,farm machinery.

If something doesn't change soon we will be in desperate conditions and that is terrifying to think of. The article below is about the effects in Manitoba but it is the exact same way for Alberta and Saskatchewan.

http://www.cbc.ca/money/story/2008/10/1 ... rtage.html

Western truckers fuming over diesel shortage
Last Updated: Thursday, October 16, 2008 | 2:35 PM ET Comments49Recommend28CBC News
A shortage of diesel fuel is stalling truckers in Western Canada, where some fill-up stations are rationing the amount they will sell and others are completely dry.

Every Petro Canada card-lock station in Manitoba was emptied of diesel fuel Thursday afternoon except one in Portage la Prairie, where the fuel was said to be running low.

Geraldine Eberhardt, a truck driver who was able to fill up in Regina, told CBC News on Wednesday that limits are in place at some pumps in that province.

"If it is rationed, they come out and they talk to us right away, [saying:] 'You know you can only put so much in,' " Eberhardt said. "It's all you can do until you get to the next truck stop."

Some commerical Esso stations in Calgary ran out of diesel this spring. (CBC)
Daily allocations have also been imposed at card-lock locations in Saskatchewan and Alberta, with pumps shutting off automatically when they reach 250 litres.

The lack of diesel has been linked to breakdowns at refineries in Alberta.

Sneh Seetal, a spokeswoman for Petro-Canada, told CBC News that supplies are running low nationwide, but the impact has been felt most on the Prairies.

"Primarily in the industrial sector in Alberta," Seetal said from Calgary on Wednesday. "With the demand growth within Alberta we are seeing this situation in Western Canada."

Bob Dolyniuk, general manager of the Manitoba Trucking Association, said the widespread shortages will have an effect on truckers across the West.

"Certainly [it's] going to impact the bottom line of companies and certainly independent truckers, so there is a concern there," he said. "If it's a prolonged rationing, then we're going to have some very serious concerns."

I haven't checked to see if the Flying J station in Headingley, MB still has fuel...hope so. You know something is in the wind as diesel prices have not been dropping in Manitoba like gas has. :cowboy:

Something rotten is in the wind when diesel prices havent come down like regular gas. :? :???:

They have to keep the diesel prices up to justify the heating oil prices this winter. No matter what you do they find a way to screw you.
Tom :cboy:

They have to keep the diesel prices up to justify the heating oil prices this winter. No matter what you do they find a way to screw you.
Tom :cboy:

baxter78":blcysujv said:
I am having my oil well uncapped in November to drill baby drill. If I get a million barrells a day out of it I will send some your way. With my luck there will only be a quart in there.

Maybe you will. With the price of oil down, I bet domestic production will fall, as well. It costs more to get it out of the ground than it is worth.

Lammie":z6spdhlm said:
baxter78":z6spdhlm said:
I am having my oil well uncapped in November to drill baby drill. If I get a million barrells a day out of it I will send some your way. With my luck there will only be a quart in there.

Maybe you will. With the price of oil down, I bet domestic production will fall, as well. It costs more to get it out of the ground than it is worth.

Lammie...you just justified $140 oil and $4.00 gasoline....Hush your mouth before the Oil companies hear you. :lol2: :lol2:

If oil drops to 40 dollars a barrel they would still make a killing on it. The tar sands in Alberta costs the most to produce and even the companies extracting and cleaning the fuel would make a bundle from the profits.

Got a call this morning that diesel came in so I managed to grab 500 litres. :banana: Hopefully that will last us long enough to haul manure and break up some land with a little left over to run a tractor to feed the cows.

Hubby is working in Saskatchewan I hope they can find fuel to bring him and the line truck home.. :roll:

This is what scary looks like! Fuel queues in Bulawayo, Zimbabwe.

10C1BB8805.jpg

They say now that things will be fixed by the end of the month..Whatever..

I will let you all know if I see any pigs flying.. :p

Diesel for autos has had a huge increase in Europe for autos....massive amounts of diesel is used in countries all around the globe
that have less than reliable electric grids in order to power generators...then add in home heating oil and the expotential population
growth globally = there you have it.

OK Jeanne":348vzcyf said:
Diesel for autos has had a huge increase in Europe for autos....massive amounts of diesel is used in countries all around the globe
that have less than reliable electric grids in order to power generators...then add in home heating oil and the expotential population
growth globally = there you have it.

OKJeanne, you are right... when we were over there two summers ago, there were alot of small diesel cars running around.

Latest posts