Thin cow

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

I bought a cow and calf and the cow is really skinny she is eight years old her calf is two months old still nursing.I gave her plenty of cracked corn but she olny eats a few bites but she grazes quite a bit. How can i get her to eat her grain i would like to get her back in shape. Thanks for all help.-----jim

The first thing that comes to mind is to worm both the cow and the calf. Feed a sweet grain type of mixture to increase her interest in the grain. You could try creep feeding the calf to cut the strain on the cow. You may also want to get her teeth checked. The quality of the grazing may not be high enough to meet her needs. Also, there are cows that just fall off in condition. We have a cow that as a heifer last year weaned a 522 lb heifer. During the heat of the summer she would just lay around the water trough and graze a little at night. She made a heavy miling Holstein look fat. She cycled and bred back with no problem. This year her bull calf will wean in the 600 lb range, she has milked down to nothing again but is grazing occasionally during the day. Once again she bred back on time. This is a moderate framed cow that weighs around 900 lbs wean we wean her calf. No grain, no creep, she's just "one of those kind of cows". Just some thoughts.

dun

> I bought a cow and calf and the
> cow is really skinny she is eight
> years old her calf is two months
> old still nursing.I gave her
> plenty of cracked corn but she
> olny eats a few bites but she
> grazes quite a bit. How can i get
> her to eat her grain i would like
> to get her back in shape. Thanks
> for all help.-----jim