thin cattle

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

Had a chance to buy several head of bred thin cattle real cheap. I plan on worming them tomorrow. Any thoughts on putting some weight on them and cleaning them up a little. Thanks!

[email protected]

De-worming is a start. Provide them with plenty of free-choice hay (roughage) as well as decent pasture if you have it. Might also include a flake of alfalfa hay along with hay choice. Range cubes and/or some "beef feed" of the bagged type can also be used. Be sure to provide them with free-choice mineral block (or molasses tub) plus other salt (if minerals have low salt content)--these are needed for health and nutrition as well as stimulating them to eat more roughage and drink more fresh, clean water. Good luck! P.S. it may take several weeks or even a few months to get them back into good condition.

Just wondering if you know the reason the cows are thin? I'd hate to see you bring Johnes or another disease onto your property. If you have other cattle, I would quarantine these away from your other livestock for 30 days and have a vet check done.

> Had a chance to buy several head
> of bred thin cattle real cheap. I
> plan on worming them tomorrow. Any
> thoughts on putting some weight on
> them and cleaning them up a
> little. Thanks!

> Just wondering if you know the
> reason the cows are thin? I'd hate
> to see you bring Johnes or another
> disease onto your property. If you
> have other cattle, I would
> quarantine these away from your
> other livestock for 30 days and
> have a vet check done.

The guy I bought them off of lost 2 of his lease places and was short on hay and pasture.

[email protected]

>Always good to start with a high energy supplement but make sure you start off slow because you dont want to upset the digestive system. Make sure through forage and grain samples that protein levels are adequate for the cattle's age and gestation stage requirement. Worming is always a good idea but make sure that there arent underlying factors that you arent aware of. Always consult a veterinarian.

[email protected]

Latest posts