Thiamin Deficiency

Help Support CattleToday:

Bestoutwest

Reaction score
I've got a friend with a steer that is lethargic, won't move to eat or drink, and is seizing (he just sent me a video). The vet thinks it's a thiamin deficiency. He gave a shot, and they're going to do a regiment of shots here in the next few days. Has anyone heard of this? Will the steer come of out it or is this a "start digging a hole" type of deal?

Thanks

Bestoutwest":2derf9nk said:
I've got a friend with a steer that is lethargic, won't move to eat or drink, and is seizing (he just sent me a video). The vet thinks it's a thiamin deficiency. He gave a shot, and they're going to do a regiment of shots here in the next few days. Has anyone heard of this? Will the steer come of out it or is this a "start digging a hole" type of deal?

Thanks

What had the steer been eating?? Most likely grain and not enough roughage. If so then yes it could be a thiamine deficiency.

wbvs58":1jcyf9bh said:
Polioencephalomalacia, yes they can recover with aggressive B1 treatment.

Ken

Isn't that what sirloin or someone-or-other used to post about? Or am I thinking about someone else and some other "polio...." issue? :?

That sucks!

Where's Sir Loin when you need him!

If they have a number of animals it may be wise to give them some preventative medicine at this point, and to monitor sulfur in the water and feed?

Workinonit Farm":33vq8b8c said:
wbvs58":33vq8b8c said:

Ken

Isn't that what sirloin or someone-or-other used to post about? Or am I thinking about someone else and some other "polio...." issue? :?
Yes, except he made it sound like it was a bacterial or viral disease and didn't seem to care to differentiate PEM from Polio known in humans, they're utterly different diseases

Nesikep":1mltxkxc said:
Workinonit Farm":1mltxkxc said:
wbvs58":1mltxkxc said:

Ken

Yes, except he made it sound like it was a bacterial or viral disease and didn't seem to care to differentiate PEM from Polio known in humans, they're utterly different diseases

Yes, they are two very different things.

Thanks Nesi, good to know my memory is still okay. ;-)

Good for you, not for me.. I had to look it up due to a brain fart! I knew if I searched for Polioencephalomalacia I'd find it though... Then there was NC Liz with more of the same.. and Flounder that manages to stick around

Nesikep":3r5f48fq said:
Good for you, not for me.. I had to look it up due to a brain fart! I knew if I searched for Polioencephalomalacia I'd find it though... Then there was NC Liz with more of the same.. and Flounder that manages to stick around

Oh Lord! I had forgotten about NC Liz! Awful!!! I guess that's why I had blocked/forgotten that poster!

Branguscowgirl had a very similar experience.
It turned out to be a selenium deficiency

If there's any suspicion of mineral imbalances, I'd definitely recommend a blood panel on them... way better than shooting in the dark.

Nesikep":34lk06g1 said:
If there's any suspicion of mineral imbalances, I'd definitely recommend a blood panel on them... way better than shooting in the dark.

I would certainly be worth the few dollars it will cost. Not very expensive at all.

Latest posts