They're here!!!

Help Support CattleToday:

Muddy

Reaction score
Finally! Four F1 black baldy calves are on ground today. One cow had twins (m/f), and the rest are heifers. I ended up grafting the freemartin calf to a cow that lost her own calf three weeks ago. Fastest grafting I ever had. Super lively & hyper calves. I was concerned about the hybrid vigor might affect the birthweights but all calves are 70-80lbs.

Nice bull calf out of a belted cow
[image]261[/image]

This cow give us twins....again! The freemartin calf was grafted to a cow that lost her own calf.
[image]263[/image]

A nice bull calf out of Angus cow
[image]279[/image]

A beautiful baldy heifer out of a belted cow
[image]280[/image]
Surprised that this year we have no belted calves born from our belted cows. Got some red baldy calves and surprisingly all red baldy are heifers.

Congrats! I'm glad everything is moving right along. Is the "belt" a dominant trait? I've never had any Galloway, thought I had heard somewhere that it's hard to knock the belt off them. Looking at your pics, it doesn't appear to be too hard..

Gators Rule said:
Congrats! I'm glad everything is moving right along. Is the "belt" a dominant trait? I've never had any Galloway, thought I had heard somewhere that it's hard to knock the belt off them. Looking at your pics, it doesn't appear to be too hard..
Belt are hard to knock off if they are purebred as you usually get 100% belted calf every time but with the crossbreds its usually 50% chances of getting solid calves or belted calves. These belties are crossbreds but it surprised me they didn't give me a belted calf this year. Typically I should get one to three belted calves out of 7 belted cows every year. Im down to one belted cow left to calve, she will be 18 years old this summer and i would be extremely upset if she didn't give me a belted heifer calf. I am planning on retire her from the breeding and let her live out her life in peace.

Latest posts