They went on to make history

Help Support CattleToday:

Dave

Reaction score
The other day was looking at something in the fishing rules on the Columbia River. It listed something from Bonneville Dam to Fort Raines. I had never heard of Fort Raines so I googled it to find the location. I found the location and a story about the Indian wars in 1855. Part of the story was about a troop of Calvary came up river from Portland to rescue the settlers. The officer in charge of that troop was a Lt Phil Sheridan.
That reminded me of two other historic people who had an impact here in Washington. A friend of mine happens to live on the Willamette Meridian. There is an old survey marker on his property line he showed that is dated in the 1850's (I don't remember the exact year) that carries the name U. S. Grant.
Up north by the border are the San Juan Islands. Back in the day they were claimed by both the USA and the British. So they both had a garrison on San Juan island. I forget which garrison it was but one of them had a pig. The pig got into the other garrison's garden and did what a pig will do in a garden. The garden owners shot the pig. The result was the two garrisons going to war in what is referred to as the pig war. Before it became an international incident cooler heads prevailed and shooting stopped. The American officer involved was a Lt. Pickett, who is best known for Pickett's charge at Gettysburg.

Along with Pickett on the San Juan islands was another American officer with the last name of Roberts. He later went on to write Robert's Rules of Order.

Latest posts