They wanna stimulate me......

Help Support CattleToday:

Fred Belknap

Reaction score
Three people from the USDA stopped by couple days ago. They wanted me to sign up for a stimulus program that was new. It had to do with flood plain and getting paid for not using it. Everything was very vague, they didn't know how much money was involved, they didn't know if it could be used for hay or pasture but thought it could, they thought there were restrictions on row crops like corn. I ask what the acronym for it was and they said it was so new that it didn't have one. Also I had till the 27 of March to sign up. I said thanks but no thanks. Was wondering if anyone else had been contacted?
Fred

Fred Belknap":24d4bcn4 said:
Three people from the USDA stopped by couple days ago. They wanted me to sign up for a stimulus program that was new. It had to do with flood plain and getting paid for not using it. Everything was very vague, they didn't know how much money was involved, they didn't know if it could be used for hay or pasture but thought it could, they thought there were restrictions on row crops like corn. I ask what the acronym for it was and they said it was so new that it didn't have one. Also I had till the 27 of March to sign up. I said thanks but no thanks. Was wondering if anyone else had been contacted?
Fred

No contact here.

Sounds like like a CRP program to me. Friend of mine signed up for a CRP program on a swamp he owned and he had to agree to continue to maintain it as a swamp and couldn't build houses on it or develop it or farm it. Logging could be performed but no clearcutting. He netted $650,000 after taxes then turned around and sold it to someone else. He had a hard time selling it with this easement but it is afterall a swamp so maybe the easement had nothing to do with it. Government also installed duck boxes and bird boxes on the property. It is still a swamp. Always has been always will be.

Sounds like some kind of scam to me . I've never known USDA or FSA to ride around and get anybody to sign up for anything, they just don't do business like that and to not know what acronym to use because it is so new? and a sign up period of a week ? At some point these guys are gonna ask for money to get "signed up" . JMHO

Larry

larryshoat":5kao8uwg said:
Sounds like some kind of scam to me . I've never known USDA or FSA to ride around and get anybody to sign up for anything, they just don't do business like that and to not know what acronym to use because it is so new? and a sign up period of a week ? At some point these guys are gonna ask for money to get "signed up" . JMHO

Larry
I am pretty sure they are legitimate as I have done business with them before and one of them I have known for a few years. I have had them visit before.

I'm sure there is a catch. If it is part of the stimulus bill and you live in West Virginia then I am sure that you will have to put up a sign calling it the Robert C. Byrd Flood Plain Conservatory to qualify for the benefit.

You Guy's Keep Signing up for that Big Cash. Starting in April when you sign for that new check, ie contract it allows the USDA to have the IRS inspect your tax records if they want to make sure your not going over the allowed allotment for the program. IRS, scary CIA, scary and FBI,scary and in that order of Scaryness.........

Fred Belknap":3g6iggf1 said:
larryshoat":3g6iggf1 said:

Larry
I am pretty sure they are legitimate as I have done business with them before and one of them I have known for a few years. I have had them visit before.

Well Fred, I reckon they must do business a little diferent than here but, be careful, sounds kinda funny .

Larry

Same program has been advertized in all the local papers here for the last two weeks. We have very little floodplain in the mountains so I think they have spent more for the adds than they will give out. Trying to justify their jobs!

They are really interested in the bays and river bottoms and seem to want to protect them from what I don't know since best management practices seem to do a pretty decent job when followed.

Latest posts