They said it couldn't be done ....

Help Support CattleToday:

Jogeephus

Reaction score
They said that Gelbvieh meat could never be made to taste as good as CAB. After much discussion and debate I took on the challenge and took a Gelbvieh sirloin cap and rubbed it down with the following:

2 TBS salt - to make up for the mineral they can't seem to get enough of
2 TBS black pepper - to add some flavor to an otherwise bland tasting breed
2 TBS onion powder - to add some more flavor to well you know
2 TBS garlic powder - to mask the odor
4 tsp dried oregano - cause some Italians have been known to raise them and it only seemed logical
2 TBS paprika - to give it some semblence of red meat
2 tsp chili powder - to counter the sage brush taste

After a thorough dusting it almost looks like real beef.
Cook002.jpg

Smoked it in hickory to mask the sagebrush taste
IMG_6311.jpg

Finished and sliced. Wasn't a total waste of time cause it almost tastes like CAB. Almost. :hide:
IMG_6314.jpg

Jo, the problem has been that you have been eating meat from a Gelbvieh that has been bred to live at high altitudes. Now you need to try a Tennessee, fescue fed Gelbvieh. You don't even need salt to make it taste good :mrgreen: Now that Italian cowboy you are talking about needs to send me his pick of the litter next year and I will make sure they get treated right and fed a nice fescue / clover diet. :cowboy:

HOSS":r2bkofad said:
Now that Italian cowboy you are talking about needs to send me his pick of the litter next year and I will make sure they get treated right and fed a nice fescue / clover diet. :cowboy:
High endophyte really toxic fescue I hope.

Won't that toxic fescue poison the meat? Hoss, I think he has a bull that keeps jumping the fence that would be a real money maker for you. Just think of all the vacation money you'd be saving and that equates to pure profit doesn't it?

weee doggies joe that meat sure looks yummy.i bet you done went an ate all of it.

Jogeephus":8rbytlt9 said:
Won't that toxic fescue poison the meat? Hoss, I think he has a bull that keeps jumping the fence that would be a real money maker for you. Just think of all the vacation money you'd be saving and that equates to pure profit doesn't it?
Yeah it poisons it so bad I wouldn;t feed it to a dg, so I scarf it up instead

Jogeephus":2mv3gtvm said:
They said that Gelbvieh meat could never be made to taste as good as CAB. After much discussion and debate I took on the challenge and took a Gelbvieh sirloin cap and rubbed it down with the following:

2 TBS salt - to make up for the mineral they can't seem to get enough of
2 TBS black pepper - to add some flavor to an otherwise bland tasting breed
2 TBS onion powder - to add some more flavor to well you know
2 TBS garlic powder - to mask the odor
4 tsp dried oregano - cause some Italians have been known to raise them and it only seemed logical
2 TBS paprika - to give it some semblence of red meat
2 tsp chili powder - to counter the sage brush taste

You measure ??? :p :lol:

Looks delicious Jo, but also know that Gelbvieh is a very good beef product or I would not be a GV seed stock producer and advocate of the breed . :tiphat: Agree with Dun about them "THEY" . ;-)

I'm with you HD. Just poking a little fun your way and toward those other two I thought needed their hair razzled a bit.