They Never Forget the Halter

Help Support CattleToday:

Bright Raven

Reaction score
I bought this cow as a heifer 3 years ago. That was the last time she was haltered until today. Her Sire is AJE/PB MONTECITO 63W. Her Dam is RS&T TOP PRINCESS 90X. Both have traits for heavy pelage. I brought her in today and shaved her down. Walked up to her and slipped the Halter on. She respected the lead rope like we do it everyday. Clipped her and took this picture. She is a beast!

rc0bwl.jpg

Just as well she remembers Ron that panel looks like it is only lightly wired to that post. Looks like the halter only just fitted her head. Does she still shed her coat after being clipped?

Ken

A month ago had to bring one cow in heat to the pen for AI. Brought some meal, put a halter on while she was eating and walked over a mile with her. She has been haltered the last time, when she had her first calf, so abit more than 5 years ago. I was abit surprised. There are a number of others which had seen a halter in their life time, but some wouldn't let you even close if they saw you with a rope.

wbvs58":2vdydje6 said:
Just as well she remembers Ron that panel looks like it is only lightly wired to that post. Looks like the halter only just fitted her head. Does she still shed her coat after being clipped?

Ken

:nod: . But that is a bull gate and heavy brace wire. You are correct. I suspect when I break the green ones, it is going to be tested.

Yes. She will still shed. I combed her with a flat brush and she was shedding. I clipped her right down to the skin. The other cows are slick, with just a couple still having some clinging hair.

Yes, she is a tank.
Most of my cattle have not shed out yet. Been sooo cold, but then we had a couple of 90 days last week & them & I about died. Back in the 40's & 50's. Turned my damn heat back on.
I would love to shear all my cattle, but I don't have the time or energy to do that. I did shear a couple of their faces/necks while they were in the chute for AI. Helped cool them off.

Jeanne - Simme Valley":2ty275oe said:
Yes, she is a tank.
Most of my cattle have not shed out yet. Been sooo cold, but then we had a couple of 90 days last week & them & I about died. Back in the 40's & 50's. Turned my be nice heat back on.
I would love to shear all my cattle, but I don't have the time or energy to do that. I did shear a couple of their faces/necks while they were in the chute for AI. Helped cool them off.

I know a breeder who shears all his cows and he has a bunch. He says it is a huge health booster.

I'd like to halter train a cow and calf for farm days at the schools. I just can't see being able to find the want to, and also have no clue as to where to start.

True Grit Farms":2gxpz3x4 said:
I'd like to halter train a cow and calf for farm days at the schools. I just can't see being able to find the want to, and also have no clue as to where to start.

It is a source of entertainment. I enjoy young calves. I got a great set-up. I halter them all. I start at about 5 to 6 weeks old. If they get bigger, I cannot handle them.

Grit - put a halter on, let them drag it for few days, while you hand feed them to get them used to being close.
Put in small pen. I tie an extra lead to the end of their halter. Let them walk/run around the pen with you holding onto the rope. I use a show stick to turn them. Try to get them to only go to the left so the rope doesn't get wrapped around them. He/she will finally stop. I use the show stick to "touch" them/scratch them. When they settle down, just put slight pressure "asking" them to take a step. As soon as they step, release pressure. Kinda like lunging a horse. I am not strong enough to hold onto one if they want to run, but in a small pen, you don't have to stop them. Just let them wear themselves out. You might get a little dizzy - LOL

I find getting the halter on can be a bit of a challenge, but they'll behave once caught

This one hadn't been haltered in 2 years.. had an abscess on her cheek you can probably see so I brought her up for observation.. it popped and I didn't need to intervene though
https://photos.app.goo.gl/I5XtAZpIKJ82S3N62

I halter break just about all my replacement heifers.. I slacked off this year and didn't start any of the calves, but they're docile and tame.. it won't take much

callmefence":154cwu7r said:
prince...you get time I got a couple id like you to halter break for me.....

Bring them here. I assume they got great show potential. :cboy:

callmefence":jrn7e9ox said:
Bright Raven":jrn7e9ox said:
callmefence":jrn7e9ox said:
prince...you get time I got a couple id like you to halter break for me.....

Bring them here. I assume they got great show potential. :cboy:
I'm pretty sure it would be a show worth watching

Put her in my facility. Halter her in the chute. Tie the Halter lead to a D3G Cat before we open the chute. (Better get a heavy duty halter). All she could do is beat herself up on the back of a dozer. Lol

Y'all definitely handle your cattle different than we do, and everyone around here thinks our cattle are tame. I'm sure that I can walk up and pet a 1/3 of our cows in the field, but there's not a single calf that I can walk up to and pet. I really need to ride out back and check on the cows, I haven't seen them in a few days. I do like the idea of trying to halter break a couple, might try it this winter when we start feeding hay.

I always have a few calves early in the season that end up friendly. They prob get a little extra attention and head rubs until calving really gets going, and then the rest I can't touch. 95% of my cows I can get close enough to rope, but they may not like it once I do.

Probably 2/3 of my cows will let me give them a scratch on their butt, a few I can scratch their heads, but I can never touch a calf - until I halter break it. We bring 4 heifers in at a time. Lock them in the barn during the day, out with mom at night, so they don't get weaned. Halter them & work with them for about 2 weeks, then they go out to pasture with mom. Then we bring the next 4 in. They are not quite "show" ready, but at any time in their life, if we need to halter them, they know what it is and don't fight it. Just makes life easier on the farm, and if we decide we do want to show one as a yearling or cow/calf, it doesn't take much to finish them off.

Latest posts