They can't give it away

Help Support CattleToday:

"They" somehow think that veggy burgers could be a more environmentally friendly alternative? Hardly, when it'll force more ground into heavy tillage and erosion for soy production, which directly generates more flooding, soil loss and surface runoff of nutrients into the "surface waters of the United States". Pretty hard to beat a well managed pasture for all around environmental benefit!

"They" somehow think that veggy burgers could be a more environmentally friendly alternative? Hardly, when it'll force more ground into heavy tillage and erosion for soy production, which directly generates more flooding, soil loss and surface runoff of nutrients into the "surface waters of the United States". Pretty hard to beat a well managed pasture for all around environmental benefit!
The regenerative AG folks say we need perennials and plant biodiversity. Sounds like a pasture to me.

Also, Beyond Meat is losing money handover fist. stock is 67 down from 221. Looks like the vegan party has hit a rough spot!

They will buy it, someday.

Real beef will be so expensive the fake beef will sell. Takes time.
You can look at butter vs margarine sales over time and see how this "could" play out. It took forever but people are starting to see margarine for the plant based BS it really is, regardless of price.

You can look at butter vs margarine sales over time and see how this "could" play out. It took forever but people are starting to see margarine for the plant based BS it really is, regardless of price.
Does not seem like a real apples to apples comparison. Margarine was intended to be a cheaper and less perishable option to regular butter. It was invented over 100 years ago It did not have backers like Bill Gates, Richard Branson and the green wave behind it saying "Traditional meat production is ecologically devastating, and a growing world population could make farm-raised animal meat unfeasible by 2050." It did not have giant conglomerates like Tyson and Cargill investing billions of dollars in its production and marketing success.

Comparing margarine to fake meat is like comparing walking to the mailbox and going to the moon.

Does not seem like a real apples to apples comparison. Margarine was intended to be a cheaper and less perishable option to regular butter. It was invented over 100 years ago It did not have backers like Bill Gates, Richard Branson and the green wave behind it saying "Traditional meat production is ecologically devastating, and a growing world population could make farm-raised animal meat unfeasible by 2050." It did not have giant conglomerates like Tyson and Cargill investing billions of dollars in its production and marketing success.

Comparing margarine to fake meat is like comparing walking to the mailbox and going to the moon.
Oh, I would say margarine had PLENTY of backers.

What we need is for saturated fat to be exonerated as a health problem.
Check this out. This gal is a science writer for the LA Times (or was) and did a really honest investigation into the whole lipid hypothesis that we all bought into.

Oh, I would say margarine had PLENTY of backers.

What we need is for saturated fat to be exonerated as a health problem.
Check this out. This gal is a science writer for the LA Times (or was) and did a really honest investigation into the whole lipid hypothesis that we all bought into.

I cannot see how you can equate the two.

Butter is a byproduct of milk. No efforts are being made to synthesize milk. And for some reason the greenie weenies have set their sight on beef cows and not dairy cows.

Time will tell.

The global beef market is over $300 billion. Prediction are fake meat will be $28B by 2025

The global butter market is about $23B
The global margarine market is about $3B

Butter is a byproduct of milk. No efforts are being made to synthesize milk. And for some reason the greenie weenies have set their sight on beef cows and not dairy cows.

Time will tell.

The global beef market is over $300 billion. Prediction are fake meat will be $28B by 2025

I don't doubt that the dairy industry will get its turn.

I don't doubt that the dairy industry will get its turn.
Oh they have but the greenie weenies think that the entire beef industry is a feedlot. They don't seem to notice cows on pasture because they have to leave the city I guess? Maybe pastured cows don't suit their agenda?

A good line, but I disagree. I think it is a valid example for comparison.

I remember Oleo the forerunner to Margarine. Both were touted as healthy alternatives to Butter. 40+ years later it turns out consumed in equal amounts butter is the healthier choice.

Consumers "think" plants are healthier than meat and therefore believe they are doing something good for themselves. What the average consumer isn't aware of is the amount of 'over processing' involved in creating artificial or fake meat. I fully believe over time real beef will be proven to be the much healthier choice.

Last edited:
I remember Oleo the forerunner to Margarine.
Oleo was not a 'forerunner' of margarine. It's just a shortened name version of oleomargarine.
Oleo and margarine are the same thing and always have been (unless you go back to the 1870s (Napoleonic war period) when it was sometimes or partially made with animal tallow and I'm pretty sure you don't remember that.

oleomargarine

Time will tell.

Almond milk, oat milk, soy milk???all plant-based and pretty popular

A good line, but I disagree. I think it is a valid example for comparison.

I remember Oleo the forerunner to Margarine. Both were touted as healthy alternatives to Butter. 40+ years later it turns out consumed in equal amounts butter is the healthier choice.

Consumers "think" plants are healthier than meat and therefore believe they are doing something good for themselves. What the average consumer isn't aware of is the amount of 'over processing' involved in creating artificial or fake meat. I fully believe over time real beef will be proven to be the much healthier choice.
I actually asked the question of some vegans and vegetarians I work with. They said it isn't the health issue that makes them seek meat and dairy alternatives, it's an animal welfare issue. This is where the mom and pop ranchers and local poultry producers are missing a huge marketing potential. Corporate farms and confinement production are seen as the evils, not the health evils of animal meat or high processing needs. I guess we need to address the issues on multiple fronts.

I actually asked the question of some vegans and vegetarians I work with. They said it isn't the health issue that makes them seek meat and dairy alternatives, it's an animal welfare issue. This is where the mom and pop ranchers and local poultry producers are missing a huge marketing potential. Corporate farms and confinement production are seen as the evils, not the health evils of animal meat or high processing needs. I guess we need to address the issues on multiple fronts.
I know you mean well, but this kind of marketing is quite counterproductive. If small producers are going to advertise their product as "humane", the obvious implication is that the conventional product is not humane. This drives people to consume less meat or look for alternatives.

I know you mean well, but this kind of marketing is quite counterproductive. If small producers are going to advertise their product as "humane", the obvious implication is that the conventional product is not humane. This drives people to consume less meat or look for alternatives.
Not trying to do an us vs them, but I can honestly say that for my own preference, I also prefer local to big mass-produced by the big four packers. A lot of people here gripe about them too. I think that becoming even partially more "local", people can at least pretend that their steak came from the calves on pasture down the highway rather than centralized 100k head feedlots (which also serve a valuable purpose).

Not trying to do an us vs them, but I can honestly say that for my own preference, I also prefer local to big mass-produced by the big four packers. A lot of people here gripe about them too. I think that becoming even partially more "local", people can at least pretend that their steak came from the calves on pasture down the highway rather than centralized 100k head feedlots (which also serve a valuable purpose).
I agree. There are lots of reasons to prefer a local product on the kitchen table. We just need to be sure we aren't giving the impression that the animals are treated badly in large scale production systems. That hurts us all.

Latest posts