these plants can kill

Help Support CattleToday:

GMN

Reaction score
I read this article in one of my farm magazines, kind of interesting. Listed plants that could kill cattle, they are as follows:

Yew, sprouted acorns,wild cherry tree leaves, also black cherry tree leaves,, poison and water hemlock,Jimson weed and cocklebur,Johnsongrass (that is stressed by drought or frost, prussic acid poisoning), Perilla mint, white snakeroot, and blister beetles.

GMN

One of my jennets got very ill after eating acorns that blew down when Rita went through. Staggering, frothy mouth, black hard stools, no appitite and very thristy. There wasn't anything to do but hope she got better, and she did. But she was very ill for about a week.

Lammie":2wfzz5fd said:
One of my jennets got very ill after eating acorns that blew down when Rita went through. Staggering, frothy mouth, black hard stools, no appitite and very thristy. There wasn't anything to do but hope she got better, and she did. But she was very ill for about a week.

Those are the exact symptoms of acorn poisoning, from what it says in the arcticle.

Glad your jennet was ok.

GMN

i have a calf now that got into a fallen black cherry tree. luckily, i guess, he lived but had severe neurological problems for a while. he's still a little off.

This could be a very bad year for acorn "poisoning" With the bad drought, there is very little grass and a huge acorn crop. The cattle love acorns and without grass to cushion them, the acorns pack into the stomach and the sharp tips slice the stomach walls. The walls become infected and many times the animal will die, not because of the acorn being poison, but because of the damage the acorn did that allowed the infection and internal bleeding. I have seen dead cattle that were cut open and their stomachs were packed full of acorns and were completely dry. Just like a packrats nest would look.

stocky":1a0z76e8 said:
This could be a very bad year for acorn "poisoning" With the bad drought, there is very little grass and a huge acorn crop. The cattle love acorns and without grass to cushion them, the acorns pack into the stomach and the sharp tips slice the stomach walls. The walls become infected and many times the animal will die, not because of the acorn being poison, but because of the damage the acorn did that allowed the infection and internal bleeding. I have seen dead cattle that were cut open and their stomachs were packed full of acorns and were completely dry. Just like a packrats nest would look.

That is interesting, i would have never guesses acorns could cause that kind of damage, before I read the article. It said in the article that the toxic effects can be countered by feeding a palatable concentrate mix with 7-10% hydrated lime. Can't hardly imagine cattle liking anything with lime in it. Learn something new every day.

GMN