These dandies can be yours for $1.50 per pound

Help Support CattleToday:

KMacGinley":24iy1v34 said:
I disagree completely with what has been said about these bulls. If you pushed them with corn and made them hog fat like apparently most of you think bulls must be raised and then took a picture of them. You would all be gushing over them. Genetics are genetics. The difference is that bulls that have been raised slowly on forages usually last longer and have less fertility problems.

That's the problem. Most of us learned to judge cattle looking at show steers and bulls on a hot ration or even bulls that were weaned to lush rye grass and oats pasture. I will be the first to admit that I have a hard time really evaluating a bull that looks entirely "wrong" to my eyes for his age. They have a WDA of ~2. Most yearling bulls are 200 to 400 lbs heavier at this age. I am not willing too endorse them; but I don't necessarily believe that they are as bad as we are making them out to be either.

Frankie":31wnw15l said:
Are we going to be giving odds that he sells these bulls for close to his asking price? ;-)

Noooo, if we bet a $100 on it somebody would go buy them just to win the bet.

Brandonm22":2swgdjhx said:
KMacGinley":2swgdjhx said:
I disagree completely with what has been said about these bulls. If you pushed them with corn and made them hog fat like apparently most of you think bulls must be raised and then took a picture of them. You would all be gushing over them. Genetics are genetics. The difference is that bulls that have been raised slowly on forages usually last longer and have less fertility problems.

That's the problem. Most of us learned to judge cattle looking at show steers and bulls on a hot ration or even bulls that were weaned to lush rye grass and oats pasture. I will be the first to admit that I have a hard time really evaluating a bull that looks entirely "wrong" to my eyes for his age. They have a WDA of ~2. Most yearling bulls are 200 to 400 lbs heavier at this age. I am not willing too endorse them; but I don't necessarily believe that they are as bad as we are making them out to be either.

I'd give odds that they won't bring the equivalent of $.85 a lb. Black, white or speckled.

TexasBred":346oi3b2 said:
I'd give odds that they won't bring the equivalent of $.85 a lb. Black, white or speckled.

You are right I probably couldn't get $.85 for them at a stockyard HERE; but again he is selling them as breeding stock NOT market bulls/steers........of course a 1200 yearling bull that is run through the yard for some reason is going in with the bologna bulls and won't bring $.85 a lb either so I don't know what the point is.

I really don't know what his intended market is. IF I were buying range raised bulls I would want them to be at least 18 months old and ready to work. IF I were buying yearling bulls I would want them half grown out (at least a 1000 lbs) so somebody else has their money tied up in growing them. If I am going to have to spend the time and the money to grow out bulls, I can buy intact calves fresh off the cow for $700-800 all over Alabama (I assume Texas is much the same) and six months from now today's 205 day old calf can easily be caught up with these bulls (whether I push them hard or push them soft).

alacattleman":1b61p2d6 said:
Brandonm22":1b61p2d6 said:
Heck Mytty In Focus's momma is even fat.....

http://abs-bs.absglobal.com/beef/BeefSu ... o=29AN1640

I bet he would look just like these little bulls if raised on the same range.
probably gonna go out on a limb here,, but i like his dam

She probably is bigger than what I would like a cow to be. I kinda wonder what the cow under the extra 200 lbs of finish looks like; but that said.......I probably could find a place for her in the pasture somewhere (or the front yard). My original point being that phenotype (ie what we actually see) has a lot to do with how much groceries go in to an animal. I can starve any calf into being a "dink" no matter what the genetics are and feed can cover up a lot of flaws too.

Brandonm22":1jrstm7d said:
My original point being that phenotype (ie what we actually see) has a lot to do with how much groceries go in to an animal. I can starve any calf into being a "dink" no matter what the genetics are and feed can cover up a lot of flaws too.

You're right. We've got a nice Krugerrand cow. She weaned at 350-400 lbs. and was headed to the sale barn. Then we realized that her dam's udder was bad. It looked fine, but three quarters had no milk at all. The poor heifer was about starved to death. We got her some groceries and she'sbeen a productive cow for us. But I do think she'd be a bigger cow if she'd had more to eat as a calf.

Brandonm22":4fhm5akh said:
alacattleman":4fhm5akh said:
Brandonm22":4fhm5akh said:
Heck Mytty In Focus's momma is even fat.....

http://abs-bs.absglobal.com/beef/BeefSu ... o=29AN1640

I bet he would look just like these little bulls if raised on the same range.
probably gonna go out on a limb here,, but i like his dam

She probably is bigger than what I would like a cow to be. I kinda wonder what the cow under the extra 200 lbs of finish looks like; but that said.......I probably could find a place for her in the pasture somewhere (or the front yard). My original point being that phenotype (ie what we actually see) has a lot to do with how much groceries go in to an animal. I can starve any calf into being a "dink" no matter what the genetics are and feed can cover up a lot of flaws too.[/quote] sure it can, its also why these cattlemen go to a big sale buy a big shiney slick bull. and are crying a few months down the road.. but as much as you can starve one, not gonna take his genetics away and thats were cattlemen need too have a eye to see past bad management on good cattle, and good management on bad, course this still can work both ways what seems like good management may be a money pit

Brandonm22":19vqm1bt said:
TexasBred":19vqm1bt said:

You are right I probably couldn't get $.85 for them at a stockyard HERE; but again he is selling them as breeding stock NOT market bulls/steers........of course a 1200 yearling bull that is run through the yard for some reason is going in with the bologna bulls and won't bring $.85 a lb either so I don't know what the point is.

I really don't know what his intended market is. IF I were buying range raised bulls I would want them to be at least 18 months old and ready to work. IF I were buying yearling bulls I would want them half grown out (at least a 1000 lbs) so somebody else has their money tied up in growing them. If I am going to have to spend the time and the money to grow out bulls, I can buy intact calves fresh off the cow for $700-800 all over Alabama (I assume Texas is much the same) and six months from now today's 205 day old calf can easily be caught up with these bulls (whether I push them hard or push them soft).

The point is he's trying to sell them by the head, which he will never do unless some idiot comes along. Then when he's forced to haul them to a sale barn somewhere they'll try to sell them by the head as well...IF they do even it still won't dollar out to more than $.85 a pound.....Now in your area YOU might give more for that junk.

TexasBred":ztjrd4lc said:
[The point is he's trying to sell them by the head, which he will never do unless some idiot comes along. Then when he's forced to haul them to a sale barn somewhere they'll try to sell them by the head as well...IF they do even it still won't dollar out to more than $.85 a pound.....Now in your area YOU might give more for that junk.

Anybody who grows out breeding stock that ends up selling them through the sale barn has pretty much LOST money.....unless you just hit the market in freaky good conditions just right. Everybody who retains bulls for sale is trying to sell them private treaty or ready them for some sort of breeding stock sale. I do think I also agreed with you that there is not great demand for 800 lb underfed yearling bulls. That said, it wouldn't shock me in the least if he sold every one of them private treaty.

alacattleman":1qz7gdm5 said:
sure it can, its also why these cattlemen go to a big sale buy a big shiney slick bull. and are crying a few months down the road.. but as much as you can starve one, not gonna take his genetics away and thats were cattlemen need too have a eye to see past bad management on good cattle, and good management on bad, course this still can work both ways what seems like good management may be a money pit

I think folks that are serious about their selection need to find a program that is similar to theirs to buy from. IF you like the biggest and the fattest and aren't afraid to spend whatever it takes so that your pastures and your animals just always look super greet or you are miserly with the feedstuffs and the fertilizer you really need to find a seedstock producer who does it the way you do it. Where people get in trouble is buying cattle that weren't selected for your conditions and aren't acclimated to your environment.

Brandonm22":2mxzfujg said:
TexasBred":2mxzfujg said:
[The point is he's trying to sell them by the head, which he will never do unless some idiot comes along. Then when he's forced to haul them to a sale barn somewhere they'll try to sell them by the head as well...IF they do even it still won't dollar out to more than $.85 a pound.....Now in your area YOU might give more for that junk.

Anybody who grows out breeding stock that ends up selling them through the sale barn has pretty much LOST money.....unless you just hit the market in freaky good conditions just right. Everybody who retains bulls for sale is trying to sell them private treaty or ready them for some sort of breeding stock sale. I do think I also agreed with you that there is not great demand for 800 lb underfed yearling bulls. That said, it wouldn't shock me in the least if he sold every one of them private treaty.

Oh yeah, someone might come along. Let's just hope not. They'll probably breed cattle. Can't say much more. I got a 100% POS out of a great bull and cow last year and still haven't figured it out..should have been an out of this world calf...luckily it was just the one (1).

TexasBred":paiv4q1u said:
Brandonm22":paiv4q1u said:
TexasBred":paiv4q1u said:

Oh yeah, someone might come along. Let's just hope not. They'll probably breed cattle. Can't say much more. I got a 100% POS out of a great bull and cow last year and still haven't figured it out..should have been an out of this world calf...luckily it was just the one (1).
bet thats how alot of em slip through though... you seen it, but most don't want too give up on it just because it should have been bred right and had all the cards stacked in its favor, im just commercial but some of my best calves came from my average cows using different bulls through the years,then all of a sudden those average cows didnt seem so average to me anyway

One thing is for sure. Seedstock producers should either go all private treaty or all auction. [I mean a advertised seedstock auction]
And if they sell 2 year old bulls, they sell all 2 year old bulls.

mnmtranching":2ogkefcp said:
One thing is for sure. Seedstock producers should either go all private treaty or all auction. [I mean a advertised seedstock auction]
And if they sell 2 year old bulls, they sell all 2 year old bulls.

Why.?

Are you saying one size fits all? Not everyone wants a 2 yr old bull. For sure, not everyone wants to have to feed a bull to 2 yrs old.

3way, I'm talking "picked over bulls"
Say, I wouldn't want to buy a 2 year old bull from a guy that has sold most of the others as yearlings. Or buy one of his bulls at a auction where he's sold off the choice private treaty. Can't imagine anyone would.
Those reputable breeders that sell all auction at special sales do the best. IMO.

mnmtranching":1432jsrz said:
3way, I'm talking "picked over bulls"
Say, I wouldn't want to buy a 2 year old bull from a guy that has sold most of the others as yearlings. Or buy one of his bulls at a auction where he's sold off the choice private treaty. Can't imagine anyone would.
Those reputable breeders that sell all auction at special sales do the best. IMO.

I agree. Just didn't understand what you meant. Saw it happen first hand