Thermostats

Help Support CattleToday:

backhoeboogie

Reaction score
When my truck requires a new thermostat, I always drill a tiny hole in the seat. That pin hole is a life saver in this heat when a thermostat sticks in the future. We don't get all that much cold in the winter here anyway so it is never a problem if the hole is tiny enough. Dad always did this and other folks do it. This week a few folks have told me they never heard of it. Thought I'd pass it along for anyone who lives in a climate similar to mine.

dieselbeef":h5qkeupy said:
mostof them come with small bypass hole for a steam release whn over htg

Mine had a ball check. It was plugged. The oil cooler let oil into the coolant system and fouled a lot of things.

The new one has a ball check and everything was repaired. It also has a tiny bypass hole in it :D

thats convienent...but i live in fl. obviously you dont do yer own maint..cardboard over the radiator works just as well

Never heard of drilling a hole in the thermostat, but I have run a couple trucks without the thermostat all together when on the road and in a bind.

I have never heard of that before. I am curious how a small hole drilled in the seat of the t-stat can prevent sticking/overheating when stuck? My initial thought is how is that tiny hole going circulate enough water to prevent overheating on a stuck t-stat?

saltbranch":37zwt1f1 said:
I have never heard of that before. I am curious how a small hole drilled in the seat of the t-stat can prevent sticking/overheating when stuck? My initial thought is how is that tiny hole going circulate enough water to prevent overheating on a stuck t-stat?

A 1/8 inch hole will relieve a lot of pressure. This is hot water in a closed system that usually contains just a few gallons. Generally you only have two gallons outside of the block in most pick-ups. 20 PSI at 200 degrees should be able to pass most of the entire system in less than 3 minutes. That is much better than passing nothing.

Also, think of a balanced port in the plug of a huge control valve.

Latest posts