Thermal image scopes?

Help Support CattleToday:

kenny thomas

Reaction score
Who has one? Good and bad things to look for. To use to shoot coyotes but also just to see what's out there at night. Looking for something $2,000 or less.

Good read........................................

http://www.opticsden.com/best-night-vis ... le-scopes/

Best Night Vision Rifle Scope for under $2,000
Armasight Nemesis4x-SD Gen 2+ Night Vision Rifle Scope w/4x Magnification
Armasight Nemesis6x-SD Gen 2+ Night Vision Rifle Scope w/6x Magnification

https://www.amazon.com/Armasight-Nemesi ... 59c4284c53

Armasight Nemesis 4x-SD Gen 2+ Night Vision Rifle Scope with 4x Magnification

Armasight Nemesis4x-SD Gen 2+Armasight is probably one of the most popular brands in the world of night vision scopes and thermal imagery. The Armasight Nemesis 4x is a real gem for the professional hunter or shooter. Considering it's a Gen 2 model, that's an impressive bargain!

It comes with many technological advances and features, so hang on tight as we give you all the details!

If you are needing a device that helps you in making shots from long distances, this is the perfect choice. The Armasight Nemesis 4x comes with an internal windage, a high quality image intensifier tube and easy elevation adjustments and controls. It has simple push buttons that make it easy to use when you have to stay as still and steady as possible. With the imagery and scope, you can see further than typically expected in the nighttime. In fact, there aren't many other night vision rifle scopes that have the same thin, defined crosshairs as the Armasight Nemesis 4x. With this design, it offers the ability to make precise shots on extremely small targets and targets that are further away.

With the mounting rail, it offers highly accurate positioning for all accessories that allow you to have remarkable comfort without compromising your precision and markmanship. It comes with three accessory mounting rails and with accessories such as the long range IR illuminator.

Obviously, it has a 4x magnification with incredible ten degrees FOV. It's shock protected with a glass IR transmission, multi-coated optic technology. It comes with the Auto Bright Control option that is perfect for nighttime adjustments. There are flip-up and back-up iron sights that make operations convenient. There's varying degrees of brightness and lighting choices so that you can adjust easily to the darkest of night or low lighting such as twilight.

The rifle scope is water resistant! Don't worry about a thing if you're having to make a shot during a rainstorm.

Finally, it has a battery life of 60 hours and a convenient two year warranty. This rifle scope is worth every penny.

That is some good info above. Ill throw kind of my basic opinion in.

If at all possible don't even mess with Gen 1 stuff. I'd rather use a red spot light and a good scope.

The Gen 2+ 6x for $1500 above is a great bang for the buck scope and if you play to your strengths you will be more than happy with it. Like it says, you are good for a solid 100-150 yds.

If you are a techy person, like posting videos, messing with gadgets, and have the money to burn go with the the Gen 3 and thermal stuff. That stuff is $3500, $5K... $8K. Its another level. It is awesome.

At the end of the day I do not believe if you go out with $5K thermal and I go out $1500 Gen 2+ that you will come in with a higher kill count because of the extra dollars spent.

I have an NV750 and for killing hogs and coyotes its more than plenty. The majority of my kills are between 50-75 yds. I have not seen a practical need to take 200+ yd shots with the NV... you can draw the animals in much closer. For just scanning purposes I can probably see 300-500yrs... again... more than adequate.

Im not knocking $8K scopes... I would have one in a heart beat if I could. :nod: Its just not necessary to get in the game IMO. You can be very effective for $600-$1500.

Plus, like every thing else... there are always "the extras". You buy a $1500 NV scope. Then you need a new gun because yours is too heavy, suppressor to be more quiet, shooting sticks, a monocular because scanning with the gun sucks, so on... and so on... :lol2: Next thing you know... Poof! $8K If you start our spending $8K on thermal your will have $15K tied up before its all said and done.

... again, just my opinion. :tiphat:

Brute I use a stream light game spotter light for 150 bucks. They will stand for that green light like it is not even there.
Very concentrated green beam that looks like daylight out to 150 or better.
Now you don't look as cool or get to play Seal Team 6 with it but the hogs can't tell the difference.

Caustic Burno":jh9egd14 said:
Brute I use a stream light game spotter light for 150 bucks. They will stand for that green light like it is not even there.
Now you don't look as cool or get to play Seal Team 6 with it but the hogs can't tell the difference.

No doubt. There are a lot of options out there.

That's kind of my point on this stuff. If you are killing 100 hogs a year with a green $150 light, you will kill 100 hogs with a $500 light, 100 with $1500 NV and 100 with $8000 thermal.

Same for fishing, you can catch just as many fish in a $10K boat as a $80K boat.

With that said, if you have the money is it nice to hunt with thermal or fish out of an $80K boat... you bet it is... is it necessary... no its not. Im all for buying unnecessary toys if you have the money. Just don't let some one else talk you in to "you have to have this or that" to get it done. :tiphat:

Brute 23":2pms95f1 said:
Caustic Burno":2pms95f1 said:

No doubt. There are a lot of options out there.

That's kind of my point on this stuff. If you are killing 100 hogs a year with a green $150 light, you will kill 100 hogs with a $500 light, 100 with $1500 NV and 100 with $8000 thermal.

Same for fishing, you can catch just as many fish in a $10K boat as a $80K boat.

With that said, if you have the money is it nice to hunt with thermal or fish out of an $80K boat... you bet it is... is it necessary... no its not. Im all for buying unnecessary toys if you have the money. Just don't let some one else talk you in to "you have to have this or that" to get it done. :tiphat:

Nuh uh. My SIL told me absolutely that I needed to have a $78K Haynie w/ 300 hp Yamaha to catch fish. Really? I say. But then she can't get into Big Pasture with her Haynie - draws to much.

Brute 23 said:
Caustic Burno said:

Brute23, I have been told that Yotes won't stand for the lights like hogs do. Is there anything to it?

kenny thomas":i34nc7v7 said:
Brute 23":i34nc7v7 said:
Caustic Burno":i34nc7v7 said:

Brute23, I have been told that Yotes won't stand for the lights like hogs do. Is there anything to it?

That is true. Yotes and hogs will learn lights if they are hunted enough. You have to be a little faster and more intentional with lights. You have a smaller window to take your shot.

With NV or thermal you can turn it on and watch the hogs or coyotes for an hour if you would like before you shoot.

Brute out of the lights they seem to have more trouble with green than red or white. Never seen a yote stand for a white light another problem white won't shine a hogs eyes either.
Red or green led Cree will shine them red.
No matter the light color on hogs you can fool his sight and hearing but not his nose ever. I have ladder stands strategically placed for wind direction.
Bad part here suppressed or not they are one shot wonders they will run from the action cycling. Might be different if you didn't have to get so close and personal with them.

For sure. You always have to play the wind no matter what you use or how much you spend. :D

You are correct. Hogs will run if one hog falls no matter if you make a sound or not. What the suppressor does is keeps from spooking the next hogs coming that are 200+ yards out. I have sat and shot 3 big boar hogs less than 30 min apart from one hog to the next. They were laying in a row 30-40 yds apart. I've had a hog come in from the left, shot it, its laying there and less than 10min later a pack come in from the right. That's what the suppressor does for you IMO. It has the same effect with coyotes.

I enjoy sitting with the NV. Its interesting to me to see how animals act when they feel safe in the cover of the night. Ive watched hogs, coyotes, deer ect all for extended periods of time. Its neat, and worth it to me.

Latest posts