There was a time

Help Support CattleToday:

M-5

Reaction score
AT the FLORIDA STATE line checking papers
when people judged a Farmer by how he grew his crops. People didn't look at the old barn or the ragged equipment or how he dresses or what he drove. They admired his straight rows ,quality crops, his weed free fields , his good looking animals. That was the true measure of success in agriculture to be admired by family, friends and strangers because it showed that you gave it your all and circumstance had no bearing because you accomplished what was in your control.

I was reminded of this yesterday when so many farmers now care more about how big their house is or how new their truck is or how the hired help keeps their lawn and get to brag about the acres they plant.

Great post M-5, those words are so true. I have often thought that one of the reasons some farmers have so many financial problems is that they think they have to have the newest and best of everything.

There was a time after the 1930s when credit was difficult to get. And even if you could, after surviving the depression, many were terrified of a credit status. My father was terrified of borrowing money. Unfortunately, it held him back.

callmefence":ypx4f8sj said:
Somebody make fun of your tractor five?

NO, actually As I was checking for worms yesterday after the rain riding around pastures. My wife made a comment that made me think a little. She said "everybody tells me how good your hayfields look and how they love seeing our cows out by the road, Your Grandfather and my PawPAw would be very proud of what you do."

I realize I don't have a lot to tend too but I try and tend to what I have the best I can.

There is one User among us who just sent me a photo of his lovely Biergarden - very fancy. Shame on him - he should have spent that time getting his rows straight.

Bright Raven":3pyxly3h said:
There is one User among us who just sent me a photo of his lovely Biergarden - very fancy. Shame on him - he should have spent that time getting his rows straight.

I dont know what that is and google says its a place to drink beer

M-5":2fcbps7l said:
Bright Raven":2fcbps7l said:

I dont know what that is and google says its a place to drink beer

Ask Joe. IDK

Wine is his drink.

True Grit Farms":2fejydov said:
TennesseeTuxedo":2fejydov said:
Or your doublewide?
What's wrong with that? I keep hoping my queen of the double wide will run off with the Preacher and they move in with Ron.

Preacher may convert him! :lol:

bball":35d7xcuv said:
True Grit Farms":35d7xcuv said:
TennesseeTuxedo":35d7xcuv said:
Or your doublewide?
What's wrong with that? I keep hoping my queen of the double wide will run off with the Preacher and they move in with Ron.

Yeah!!! :lol:

Would you believe, Mom wanted me to be a preacher. Her father was an evangelist and her cousin had a PhD in theology. She thought I was next in line.

True Grit Farms":3dhpmn1u said:
He better concentrate on getting through his hay. We had a heck of a storm roll through here yesterday afternoon.
Everything is baled at the moment. Wednesday afternoon I was the only place that didn't get rain so I finished what little bit had down.

M-5":24ixug7d said:
callmefence":24ixug7d said:

NO, actually As I was checking for worms yesterday after the rain riding around pastures. My wife made a comment that made me think a little. She said "everybody tells me how good your hayfields look and how they love seeing our cows out by the road, Your Grandfather and my PawPAw would be very proud of what you do."

I realize I don't have a lot to tend too but I try and tend to what I have the best I can.

Gotcha....my wife tells me that to.

callmefence":29ssclny said:
M-5":29ssclny said:
callmefence":29ssclny said:

Sure better than being told you don't have enough to work.

Bright Raven":5j1pd3t4 said:
bball":5j1pd3t4 said:
True Grit Farms":5j1pd3t4 said:

Would you believe, Mom wanted me to be a preacher. Her father was an evangelist and her cousin had a PhD in theology. She thought I was next in line.

I suspect you would have been very charismatic, and successful, had you received the gift of faith.

True Grit Farms":24z266fv said:
callmefence":24z266fv said:
M-5":24z266fv said:

Sure better than being told you don't have enough to work.

Probably why I married her. :nod:

bball":1xqm1xgb said:
Bright Raven":1xqm1xgb said:
bball":1xqm1xgb said:

I suspect you would have been very charismatic, and successful, had you received the gift of faith.

I promise you this. If I could believe, I would live it every second of my mortal existence. That is one reason I doubt that some who confess it, truly believe it. Or they would live it.

Latest posts