Votes: 14 33.3%
  • $6500 - $9000

Votes: 4 9.5%
  • $9000+

Votes: 3 7.1%

• Total voters

Jogeephus

Reaction score
I smell something rotten in the wood pile and would just like to get an idea what the average cost of a household septic system would run. Not including permits and regulation costs.

Mine is just a guess. Everyone around here has to get the aerobic septic systems with the sprinklers. It is quite costly. Knock wood, our system has been very very good to us. We have two tanks, though. Or does everyone have two? My last house didn't and it has an extremely long lateral line that ran back behind my barn! Strange, but never gave me any trouble and it was probably at least fifty years old.

About 6000 here. Most lakeshore homes even more, they need to pump the stuff up hill and away from the lake. A simple minimum in the country with good slope about 4000.

john250":3cyy588e said:
The basic system here was 6500-9000 4 yrs ago. Has to be installed by a certified contractor. Typically 800 feet of tile.
Thinking about adding indoor plumbing?

Like my grandfather said, "Not on your life. Ain't nobody gonna $hit in my house!" :lol2: :lol2:

Jo
I had my septic installer license for yrs around here the avg system is around $4000 that is a 1000gal tank and 500 ft of lat line at that price I cleared about $1000 over labor and material

the state code for Mo is 100ft of lat line per bedroom some counties don't have any codes or inspections so there is alot of inadequate sytems out there

I always put 100 ft and then 100 ft per bedroom so a 3 bdrm house had a minnimium of 400 ft

I don't know much about septic tanks but I just got a hunch something stinks. In my area we have sandy dirt with very good drainage after all its sand. Two years ago I had my lines replaced using about 500 feet of tile put in by a licensed installer. He charged me around $1800. Since this time we have a new inspector who dictates the EXACT type system you HAVE to put in rather than it just meeting certain specs. or standards. He loves a certain pump system which requires only only 40 feet of tile. We have always had good luck with a drain field but he is requiring everyone to put in this pump system. A friend of mine wasn't having problems but he wanted to add 40 feet to his existing lines but the inspector would not allow him to do this. Told him he had to put in a pump. $6500. Another friend of mine built a brand new house and was told he had to put this certain pump system in. $6500 and it broke within six months of moving in. Inspector made them put another pump in. $6500. $13,000 later he still had drainage problems. Friend rented a backhoe and put in a drain field himself and hasn't had a problem since. I can go on with two similar stories.

As I said, I don't know squat (pun intended) about septic systems but something doesn't seem right here. I am thinking of doing some construction and I may need 3 systems put in. Last one I put in cost $3500 and I've been told if I did all three at once I can get them for a total of $9000 if I can use the normal drain field system. I don't want to go plunking down $6500 apiece for a pump system expecially if the thing is going to break like those mentioned. I don't want to disrespect the inspector just because he has an ear ring and a poney tail cause he can make your life rough and can fine a contractor $10,000 if they don't do it HIS WAY.

I'm thinking about just taking a backhoe and doing it myself but I haven't been able to find the law where it states whether I can or can't do this. I really don't know what to do or what to think. Confused.

Jo, this has nothing to do with your post, but did you get a puppy? (The new avatar is making me wonder)

FarmGirl10":2whifd1c said:
Jo, this has nothing to do with your post, but did you get a puppy? (The new avatar is making me wonder)

Yep, that's my new side kick. I got him this afternoon.

Jogeephus":2lzv9srl said:
FarmGirl10":2lzv9srl said:

Yep, that's my new side kick. I got him this afternoon.
Well, he's a cutie. Got a name picked out yet? BTW I'm not trying to highjack your thread.

I wonder if the inspector is getting paid by that company to promote their system.

Around here you have to have a perk test done by the state inspector an that determines how many feet of field line you have to install. So the price varies.
Cute pup Jogee.

Georgia Department of Human Resource
Division of Public Health
Environmental Health and injury Control Branch
Environmental Services

These branches of state government appear to be responsible for writing Georgia's state regulations. They are also responsible for approving the different types of septic systems allowed for use in the state. Check with one of these branches at the state level. Describe the system that the inspector has required and see if it has been approved. There is probably a trade name for this particular system.

I am not familiar with soil conditions in Georgia and septic systems can vary greatly in different parts of the country. Soil conditions will dictate what type of system is required. It seems like these requirements become more strict every year. What you have described seems to be questionable to say the least. It would not take very long for bio mat to clog up a 40 ft. tile around here. This system sounds like a form of low pressure lateral system. Larger systems usually just add more footage of tile or lateral. Low pressure systems are very popular around here and when they are sized properly, the laterals will outlast most other systems except for maybe a pond. Low pressure laterals are usually allowed to be installed in poorer soil conditions than conventional laterals or gravity laterals. The pumps are definately a maintenance issue. Low pressure systems are more expensive to install due to the pump and pump tank.

I did not see anything in the state regulations that would allow you to do your own work. Some states and counties will allow homeowners to install their own systems. Check with your local jurisdiction.

Most of the state and county jurisdictions that we work in require some type of soil profile to be done and then the appropriate system is designed by a licensed designer to existing soil conditions.

Bear

Use to be around here you could do your own then later had to pay take a course to put in your own now has to be by a licenced contractor.Also anytime you get a new power feed you have to pay a guy to come look to make sure you hooked it up right before power company will give you juice.It's all a money gimmick.As for laws around here you have to do perk test get it inspected if it fails you have to put in more expensive system.Leech field has to be 100ft per bedroom(never could figure out how amount of bedrooms was deciding factor on how much poop you had????)

Good luck Joe they'll get you one way or another.

rusty":33y2x088 said:
Leech field has to be 100ft per bedroom(never could figure out how amount of bedrooms was deciding factor on how much poop you had????)

they are figuring the more bedrooms the more occupants so the more poop, guess they forgot about us kids being raised where we we all stackked in one bedroom :lol:

had a neighbor when I was growing up had 13 kids in a 3 bedroom house mom and dad had a room,the girls had a room and the boys had a room and they only had 1 bathroom but then again they had another bathroom in the milk barn

the most they ever had at home at onetime was 10 kids

bear":2gajf19m said:
I did not see anything in the state regulations that would allow you to do your own work. Some states and counties will allow homeowners to install their own systems. Check with your local jurisdiction.

Thanks bear. I haven't found anything that said that I can't either but I'm still looking. I'd check with my local jurisdiction but herein lies the problem. A few years ago I drilled three shallow wells on my property and the inspector contacted my wife and chewed her out and made threats. This really ruffled my feathers and we had some words but in the end I paid him his money. I later talked to the head man with the state who is over wells and such and he told me I had done nothing wrong and had every right to do what I had done and should not have had to pay a dime in permits or fees.

Finding the right person in the bureaucracy to talk to about something like this is extremely difficult to do. I don't want to pollute or do something wrong but I don't want to get played either.

Latest posts