Votes: 16 38.1%
  • $4000 - $6500

Votes: 14 33.3%
  • $6500 - $9000

Votes: 4 9.5%
  • $9000+

Votes: 3 7.1%

• Total voters
Hogs can devastate a corn planting once they figure out how the rows run. They will sometimes just line up just after planting and root the rows up. Its bad but it does make for some entertaining marksmanship especially if you have something with a high capacity clip or three. :D

Hope all the septic pumps are running down there in the flatlands, Jo. We're all on gravity flow up here. However, pool liners are floating all over the tri-county.

ga. prime":3qa2ujax said:
Hope all the septic pumps are running down there in the flatlands, Jo. We're all on gravity flow up here. However, pool liners are floating all over the tri-county.

Everything I got is gravity flow too. Never had a minutes problem with these type systems. I can remember back when we had no codes at all and you could see toilet paper in peoples front yards after a downpour like this. Now most everyone has gone to gravity flow and you don't see this any more. Of course, now it seems this isn't good enough.

kerley":3iqpduc1 said:
John 250, Bear is correct. I am sorry if I confused you. Jo, Read the current code, including the exceptions. Jo, if you PM me I will give you book, page and code numbers. The Code Book is on my desk.
Tom.

Tom, hey, my mind was running in a direction which confused everyone. Sort of an average day.
The words "Southern Building Code" linked my brain to an internet thing I saw years ago called the "Tennessee Civil Engineers Test".
A typical ? from the "test" was Q. Bubba has 20 acres on a 15% slope with rock at 4". Help Bubba design a plan for his trailer, plus his ex-wife's trailer and his sister's trailer and his daughter in law's trailer.

Now, I know that there is actually a "Southern Building Code", in print, and some folks actually have read the thing. I imagine there is a "Midwest Building Code" somewhere. In Indiana we usually went by "State Standards" for codes, but those were likely derived from a higher source. I wrote building permits for 3 yrs and 9 mos (I'm trying hard to forget) and I remember that much about codes.

Sorry about the confusion. I have to quit posting when it's my turn to watch the still.

Jogeephus":2hkas6ng said:
ga. prime":2hkas6ng said:

Everything I got is gravity flow too. Never had a minutes problem with these type systems. I can remember back when we had no codes at all and you could see toilet paper in peoples front yards after a downpour like this. Now most everyone has gone to gravity flow and you don't see this any more. Of course, now it seems this isn't good enough.
I'm hearing you and I'm sure not telling you anything you don't already know, but you learn the flatwoods aren't as flat as you think until it comes a gully washer. I was over around the south Telfair/Jeff Davis Co. agri/woodland area yesterday and the runoff was terrific.

John250, I think we all have that problem from time to time. Have a great day at the still. :cboy: :cboy:

Just got a wonderful education in modern day septic systems today. Seems to qualify for certain monies our state has agreed to use a system that someone in Washington came up with. Further down the line our county - to qualify for certain monies has also agreed to follow these guidelines so they can get the money from the state. In summary, we no longer do perk tests to determine if the land will perk or not. This is irrelevant and an obsolete science. Now, they take a small auger and hunt for a certain type pebble. Where ever they find this pebble layer is where they say the high water mark can reach and you cannot set your drainfield beneath this layer - no matter if it will drain 99 years 11 months and 28 days. So hence the pump system. I won't go into what you have to do to build the dirt up for the pump system but it is extremely time consuming and expensive.

I knew none of this made much sense, now I know why.

I have seen these mound systems run as much as $40,000.00 on large homes and even more for a commercial business. These systems are becoming more and more the norm.

Bear

bear":iuehfkit said:
I have seen these mound systems run as much as $40,000.00 on large homes and even more for a commercial business. These systems are becoming more and more the norm.

Bear

I spent about 2 hours talking to a contractor today and he seemed very knowledgeable about the rules and it seemed he had a pretty good understanding of how they determined all this stuff. My original post was based on the personal nightmares of homeowners who have had to install these systems. None of this made sense to me since our soil is so sandy. But now I got a better understanding of why it is the way it is. I first thought the inspector had two jobs.

Contractor told me I could get a drain field run for as little as $2500 but if the pebbles were found less than two feet above the ground then you had to do the mound and the pump - even if it would perk. This just doesn't make sense to me but knowing where this regulation came from at least it is now clear.

He also provided me with some ideas I may have to use to side step this to some degree.

It sounds like the pebble line you are speaking of, is a more permeable layer allowing a more direct route of unfiltered effluent to the water table.

Glad to see you are getting some resolution to your situation. Good luck!

Bear

It seldom does make sence when someones pockets are getting lined.You said they agreed to do it for monies by doing it Washingtons way doesn't matter how much it costs the property owner.

rusty":x3897e4r said:
It seldom does make sence when someones pockets are getting lined.You said they agreed to do it for monies by doing it Washingtons way doesn't matter how much it costs the property owner.

That's the way I see it too. This "free grant money' is not free at all. In fact, its extremely costly.

ga. prime":2n5ymmzd said:
Jo, maybe you'll find some fossilized fish dung in the pebble layer and convert it to cash on ebay.

With my luck they will dig up a flatwoods salamander and quarantine the property forever. :cry2:

Jogeephus":3ja6ecmr said:
ga. prime":3ja6ecmr said:
Jo, maybe you'll find some fossilized fish dung in the pebble layer and convert it to cash on ebay.

With my luck they will dig up a flatwoods salamander and quarantine the property forever. :cry2:
:lol2: :( What am I laughing about. It's not funny. Remind me to tell you sometime about when DNR came thru here with a Black Lab that was trained to sniff out Indigo snakes.

I think somewher along the way we lost sight of what is practical. A lot of this is so silly its funny - until you realize whose paying for this stuff.

Latest posts