There Back

Help Support CattleToday:

Do ya'll eat them?
Only the young ones and mostly just the back straps.
They are a pain to clean with latex gloves along with eye protection. Bigs ones get tough to get the hide off. They are mainly head and shoulders being hatchet assed. Some people I know wear paper suits.
Feral hogs can transmit several diseases to people psuedorabies being highly contagious. I am not sure why it's called that as it is a super bad herpes virus.

Only the young ones and mostly just the back straps.
They are a pain to clean with latex gloves along with eye protection. Bigs ones get tough to get the hide off. They are mainly head and shoulders being hatchet assed. Some people I know wear paper suits.
Feral hogs can transmit several diseases to people psuedorabies being highly contagious. I am not sure why it's called that as it is a super bad herpes virus.
It's called psuedorabies because of the occasional neurological symptoms that resemble rabies.

Interesting. We don't have any hogs here yet. I maybe they are around some close areas through. Like I always say with the rattlesnakes, bears, cougars, ect. That aren't in our area, nothing is keeping them from coming here.
Somebody please tell me about the tarantula migration Texas? We saw tons before crossing the road. What causes them to migrate.
I know there is a place in Illinois rattlesnakes do something like this. Just curious.

Two neighbors are going to the Pig Brig trap. It is super efficient and continuously catches.
Just doesn't work well with cattle.
Both putting the trap where it is not accessible to cattle.
Those traps are interesting. Wonder how well the netting holds up? I feel like it's a big cast net and eventually it will get tore up or hogs will get hung up in it and you will just have a big mess.

Those traps are interesting. Wonder how well the netting holds up? I feel like it's a big cast net and eventually it will get tore up or hogs will get hung up in it and you will just have a big mess.
I am going to sit back and watch grasshopper, I have had the same concerns.
I have had them bust the welds on welded panels.
I double paneled this one, it's held some big athletes.

Attachments

• 524376CA-9B5A-43A1-897D-31CB42699F12.jpeg
    524376CA-9B5A-43A1-897D-31CB42699F12.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 21
I am going to sit back and watch grasshopper, I have had the same concerns.
I have had them bust the welds on welded panels.
I double paneled this one, it's held some big athletes.
Let me know how it goes.

I'm glad people are trying to come up with new ideas, especially reasonably priced ones. It has potential.

KAP!! Kill All Pigs

Interesting indeed. My only thought on that Pig Brig is that it is not near big enough and takes too long to get the pigs accustomed to it.

But.... it does give me an idea for my Texas sized trap.

y4mPqOMQEIgu0IovDc-4iYl9BOkHgFDD7AnP7JDNZWptV8EZ7vMkgIhAK-uXrsuvQhRWDsFlRaHWh2xUTT0O1Bd8tdYNgeFYfhAx9VMqjgaKKdaGskGRwIek3oMafmvQR_DRx7LqoNQO7SKmY4YyLyq_KBxxErCQUpxH1hpXnUU-m_jGVVYkJtINUDO9CyaKjdn

y4mQsFr0NbjALsEKRKk_cgd_ZS4yifCYCgCfq7ReLtj28LrGSbxQ1KYddRzaFCuBnbUTJePwm8miLxhhIQyiBctn8txKCdOE_RE6FJXtm1tCy8Z9bTJ3bk7S1ZqXHsWdQy_lM-BDCac6cTFMV5MEsJm4n2pI0LEof8eozzWyWKVDNCgta9e0tV8v-Ivaj6Jak4W

KAP!! Kill All Pigs

Interesting indeed. My only thought on that Pig Brig is that it is not near big enough and takes too long to get the pigs accustomed to it.

y4mPqOMQEIgu0IovDc-4iYl9BOkHgFDD7AnP7JDNZWptV8EZ7vMkgIhAK-uXrsuvQhRWDsFlRaHWh2xUTT0O1Bd8tdYNgeFYfhAx9VMqjgaKKdaGskGRwIek3oMafmvQR_DRx7LqoNQO7SKmY4YyLyq_KBxxErCQUpxH1hpXnUU-m_jGVVYkJtINUDO9CyaKjdn

y4mQsFr0NbjALsEKRKk_cgd_ZS4yifCYCgCfq7ReLtj28LrGSbxQ1KYddRzaFCuBnbUTJePwm8miLxhhIQyiBctn8txKCdOE_RE6FJXtm1tCy8Z9bTJ3bk7S1ZqXHsWdQy_lM-BDCac6cTFMV5MEsJm4n2pI0LEof8eozzWyWKVDNCgta9e0tV8v-Ivaj6Jak4W
Put a perch trap style gate on that bad boy and they will keep piling in. Make sure it has water and you will catch the whole herd.

Interesting. We don't have any hogs here yet. I maybe they are around some close areas through. Like I always say with the rattlesnakes, bears, cougars, ect. That aren't in our area, nothing is keeping them from coming here.
Somebody please tell me about the tarantula migration Texas? We saw tons before crossing the road. What causes them to migrate.
I know there is a place in Illinois rattlesnakes do something like this. Just curious.
What part of Texas are you in? I would say they're moving around because of all the rain we've had this year--forced relocation. My "wisdom", lol, is based on three experiences. First, when I was a kid visiting cousins who lived in the Eastern Crosstimbers, we were playing in a pickup bed. Started to rain. 10,000 "tranchlers" "attacked" the truck. Terror! Swear to God. Second, (as a grownup), in the Blackland Prairie near a lake, super rainy year, on our tiny blacktop road, a plague of frogs or toads completely covered the road as we drove. Squish squish. Terror #2. Swear to God. Couple years later, my in-laws built a house very close by, like less than 1/8 mile. Lots of dirt work. Nobody ever built anything around here. Scorpions, oh my! I was washing my cement steps at our old house--counted 40!!! Hell yes, I counted 'em! Terror #3, swear to God again. Oops, I forgot the latest Terror. You can choose between having mega wasps or mega spiders. When wasps build their nests, they stuff live spiders under each egg cell, so the younguns will have a nice meal at birth. If you're vigilant about knocking down wasp nests, you'll be inundated with spiders. For me, spiders vs. wasps: eight legs trump one stinger! More "pearls of wisdom": Grasshoppers and horn flies, chickens and dung beetles. Didja know horn flies spend their ENTIRE lives on ONE cow?! They only leave to lay eggs in fresh poop. For the bitey monsters stable flies, only control is to keep fence/corral panels super clean, they breed in wet poop and mud. I only can control them w those clear plastic hanging traps w sticky stuff on them. If you hang those fly killer bags, they only attract houseflies, and they come from distant lands, lol, lured by the attractors in the trap. OH, MY! And one last thing (y'all can see I'm QUITE talky, sorry not sorry): CHICKENS! Grasshoppers and horn flies are their delight. Loose chickens best control possible. Just don't name or count them so you don't notice when the hawks pick 'em off day by day...

What part of Texas are you in? I would say they're moving around because of all the rain we've had this year--forced relocation. My "wisdom", lol, is based on three experiences. First, when I was a kid visiting cousins who lived in the Eastern Crosstimbers, we were playing in a pickup bed. Started to rain. 10,000 "tranchlers" "attacked" the truck. Terror! Swear to God. Second, (as a grownup), in the Blackland Prairie near a lake, super rainy year, on our tiny blacktop road, a plague of frogs or toads completely covered the road as we drove. Squish squish. Terror #2. Swear to God. Couple years later, my in-laws built a house very close by, like less than 1/8 mile. Lots of dirt work. Nobody ever built anything around here. Scorpions, oh my! I was washing my cement steps at our old house--counted 40!!! Hell yes, I counted 'em! Terror #3, swear to God again. Oops, I forgot the latest Terror. You can choose between having mega wasps or mega spiders. When wasps build their nests, they stuff live spiders under each egg cell, so the younguns will have a nice meal at birth. If you're vigilant about knocking down wasp nests, you'll be inundated with spiders. For me, spiders vs. wasps: eight legs trump one stinger! More "pearls of wisdom": Grasshoppers and horn flies, chickens and dung beetles. Didja know horn flies spend their ENTIRE lives on ONE cow?! They only leave to lay eggs in fresh poop. For the bitey monsters stable flies, only control is to keep fence/corral panels super clean, they breed in wet poop and mud. I only can control them w those clear plastic hanging traps w sticky stuff on them. If you hang those fly killer bags, they only attract houseflies, and they come from distant lands, lol, lured by the attractors in the trap. OH, MY! And one last thing (y'all can see I'm QUITE talky, sorry not sorry): CHICKENS! Grasshoppers and horn flies are their delight. Loose chickens best control possible. Just don't name or count them so you don't notice when the hawks pick 'em off day by day...
My chickens walk among the cows eating flies off everything they can reach. Cows mostly don't mind. The key with chickens is having too many. If one disappears you don't know or care much. They also dig all bugs out of the manure. Free range chicken and eggs are best! 😅

My chickens walk among the cows eating flies off everything they can reach. Cows mostly don't mind. The key with chickens is having too many. If one disappears you don't know or care much. They also dig all bugs out of the manure. Free range chicken and eggs are best! 😅

I agree. We had 50 like that, they were great until a hawk took them all out. It was like Easter egg hunting never knew were you may find any egg.

Thanks for the nightmares. 😲

Put a perch trap style gate on that bad boy and they will keep piling in. Make sure it has water and you will catch the whole herd.
These won't hardly go in a perch trap gate, guillotine works best here. Can't hardly catch one in anything other than a circle trap. I think we have educated them very well.

KAP!! Kill All Pigs

I catch over a hundred a year out of this one.
Just recently moved it and used 8' t-post. Moved into the woods by the pasture because it's been so wet this year.

Attachments

• 181B1EAA-D123-453C-8B35-FDC92A7BAC36.jpeg
    181B1EAA-D123-453C-8B35-FDC92A7BAC36.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 13
These won't hardly go in a perch trap gate, guillotine works best here. Can't hardly catch one in anything other than a circle trap. I think we have educated them very well.
It's a total different game when you are talking large traps. Even doggie door style gates work well where they just push in.

Latest posts