The woes of Trenching

Help Support CattleToday:

Bright Raven

Reaction score
Putting in a water line to the chute. I forgot I have an underground wire of 12/3 going to the Ritchie water system. I cut it in two and chewed it up. Went to the electric supply and they had the fix. A splice kit with a heat shrink sleeve that goes over the splice. What should have been a day job turned into two days. Anyone used the heat shrink splice kit? I hope I got the sleeve water tight!
2eeebgp.jpg

34ss5uh.jpg

It will be as water tight as heat shrink . I know where splices that were done on 10/2 direct bury wire was done 25 to 30 yrs ago and no issues . Got to use a whole roll of tape on the junction. May not be what some "experts"would do but they usually are spending someone else's money and the results are the same

Bright Raven":vvejydzx said:
M-5":vvejydzx said:
2 wire nuts and a roll of black tape and your finished in 15 min

But would that be water tight? That is the question?
We use a special waterproof wirenut that has gel in it, they are blue and they sell them at lowes I believe, then wrap with quality electrical tape.

ohiosteve":3l7jc6sh said:
Bright Raven":3l7jc6sh said:
M-5":3l7jc6sh said:

We use a special waterproof wirenut that has gel in it, they are blue and they sell them at lowes I believe, then wrap with quality electrical tape.
And if you ever watch a well man twist wire together wrap a couple of wraps of tape and drop it into the well . You'll see that water proof is only a suggestion.

M-5":2hadryvb said:
ohiosteve":2hadryvb said:
Bright Raven":2hadryvb said:
And if you ever watch a well man twist wire together wrap a couple of wraps of tape and drop it into the well . You'll see that water proof is only a suggestion.
I highly recommend the gel filled for a couple extra bucks, copper corrodes. All the well guys I know use them.

From what I've learned dealing with saltwater and electric, I'd of used heat shrink butt connectors, then put GOOD 3M electrical tape over the butt connectors followed by heat shrink tubing over everything. I wish I could post pictures easy, I have a fancy crimper made for heat shrink connectors and a fancy wire stripping tool.

I got it done. The breaker is not triggering and tested the basin heater. It is getting current. Hopefully, the connection stays dry. It gets wet here in the winter.

True Grit Farms":1q59p28x said:
From what I've learned dealing with saltwater and electric, I'd of used heat shrink butt connectors, then put GOOD 3M electrical tape over the butt connectors followed by heat shrink tubing over everything. I wish I could post pictures easy, I have a fancy crimper made for heat shrink connectors and a fancy wire stripping tool.
I was helping a friend work on his saltwater boat and i couldn't believe how corroded all his connections were, the wires were ate clean through in many spots.

Bright Raven":3urd3zhw said:
I got it done. The breaker is not triggering and tested the basin heater. It is getting current. Hopefully, the connection stays dry. It gets wet here in the winter.
Ron you can run the patch spot through PVC and fill the ends up with silicone. I did that for my lights to my deer feeders and under ground electric fence wire.

True Grit Farms":22hhu0yi said:
Bright Raven":22hhu0yi said:
Ron you can run the patch spot through PVC and fill the ends up with silicone. I did that for my lights to my deer feeders and under ground electric fence wire.

That is really a good idea. If it triggers this winter, I will do that. I know right where it is. Thank you!

ohiosteve":183h1ybu said:
True Grit Farms":183h1ybu said:
I was helping a friend work on his saltwater boat and i couldn't believe how corroded all his connections were, the wires were ate clean through in many spots.
https://www.ebay.com/i/192278710784?rt= ... 2278710784
This is some good stuff I use it on my salt water after coolers, "unlike metals" and they come right apart. If you don't use tinned marine wire on a boat your just wasting your time.

And they wonder why stray voltage is a problem at dairies!

Ebenezer":17xgmcpc said:

Sometimes it can be a nightmare to locate.

Ebenezer":3qa738u5 said:

LOL!

True Grit Farms":2eg9gk70 said:
Bright Raven":2eg9gk70 said:
we use the gel filled wire nuts and leave enough slackto fold the wire back on itself. tape it up and cut the top off a tube of silicone, stick the splice in the tube.,

Brute 23":rgzekejm said:
Next time you lay a line bury some tape with it and you may hit the tape first.
That's exactly what we do when laying gas line. Backfill 1/2 way then lay caution tape and backfill the rest of the way.

Latest posts