"The War" A Ken Burns film

Help Support CattleToday:

rmcva

Reaction score
For those interested.
Starting tomorrow night "The War" film will be airing on PBS. Here it starts at 8 pm et.

This isn't the same style film as we're use to seeing, the folks being interviewed will be everyday folks from down the street and across the road all across this country. At least that's what I gathered from some early clips I've seen. Many will be of the greatest generation, that's almost gone now.

I hope some of you have time to watch.

rmcva":3dk7w79v said:
For those interested.
Starting tomorrow night "The War" film will be airing on PBS. Here it starts at 8 pm et.

This isn't the same style film as we're use to seeing, the folks being interviewed will be everyday folks from down the street and across the road all across this country. At least that's what I gathered from some early clips I've seen. Many will be of the greatest generation, that's almost gone now.

I hope some of you have time to watch.

I plan on it. I have to watch his Civil War doc every time it comes on.

Caught it last night. PBS Channel is posting "No Signal" tonight.
Guess I will just have to fork out the $150.00 and get it on DVD.

Watched it last night. How many episodes or days are there to watch. If any has not watched Band of Brothers I would highly recommend it.

I am one of the older baby boomers so i grew up right after the war and it pervaded my youth.

Used to be military footage documentaries on all the time.

My parents families fought the war.

But I am nearing sixty now and generations have come behind me that have no notion.

It should be required viewing.

too many today have no idea of the sacrifices that were made so that they could live fat sassy and happy.

A few years ago I saw an attempt at quantifying how many people died and when and where in that war and it was staggering even to me.

My dad was in WWII. He built gliders, something that is a little known chapter of the war effort in Europe. I am 43, so I came along late in his life. I have heard the stories all my life, and now I am passing those along to my sons, lest they should forget what a wonderful and awful time it was.

We were watching last night and he wanted to know why you could not go get a new car when you needed one. It turned into a history lesson about rationing, something that he nor I can imagine.

I would like to think that this country could come together today in a similar way, but it would be hard to do anymore. We all seem so self-centered.

Lammie":3lrf0yu6 said:
My dad was in WWII. He built gliders, something that is a little known chapter of the war effort in Europe. I am 43, so I came along late in his life. I have heard the stories all my life, and now I am passing those along to my sons, lest they should forget what a wonderful and awful time it was.

We were watching last night and he wanted to know why you could not go get a new car when you needed one. It turned into a history lesson about rationing, something that he nor I can imagine.

I would like to think that this country could come together today in a similar way, but it would be hard to do anymore. We all seem so self-centered.

Yeah, They said last night that Ford was turning out a new flying fortress off the assembly line every 63 minutes.

I don't think most people realize that world war II basically transformed this country from an agraraian one to a metropolitan and manufacturing one.

that war also came at the end of the great depression which was another unparalled and today unimaginable hardship.

I've sure enjoyed watching this film. My Dad and two of his brothers were in that war. My two uncles passed some years back but Dad is still kicking. He's 86 now and on vacation with my Mom and sister right now.

Dad was in New Guinea. Then on to Leyte, Luzon and Peleliu(can't remember the order but he can). One of my uncles was in the Invasion of Saipan. He and Dad passed and got to talk to each other(for a few minutes) right before the plan to invade Japan. Then the bombs were dropped. Dad was in a army intellengance unit that copied Jap. code 24-7's. They never sent, just received. Dad said when they landed in New Guinea he weighed 160 pounds. When they left he weighed 108. Said they nearly starved several times. He always talked about the heat. One of the hottest places on earth from what he said. They all went through some bad times there.

Latest posts