The truth about farming....

Help Support CattleToday:

If I felt like this:

(raising cattle) is an exercise in futility. Your job, when you raise livestock, is to keep one step ahead of death. One person told me once that the livestock owner's job isn't so much keeping the animals alive as it is preventing them from dying. Another common saying is that "a cow is born looking for a way to die and your job is to find it before they do".

I would be loading cattle today and shipping them to Flemingsburg. Tomorrow, I would be booking a vacation to Tanzania.

Bright Raven":oofkjrrb said:
If I felt like this:

(raising cattle) is an exercise in futility. Your job, when you raise livestock, is to keep one step ahead of death. One person told me once that the livestock owner's job isn't so much keeping the animals alive as it is preventing them from dying. Another common saying is that "a cow is born looking for a way to die and your job is to find it before they do".

I would be loading cattle today and shipping them to Flemingsburg. Tomorrow, I would be booking a vacation to Tanzania.

Must be your positive attitude. Every morning when I check cows I'm looking for something wrong. This morning the cows are covered in flies so I have to mix some spray up, dump a bag of cubes in a corner and try and spray most of them. Most days I wonder why the heck am I doing this instead of planting more pine trees, then I remind myself how much enjoyment I get from the cows when things are good. I sure have no interest in traveling to Africa and not hunting, I can see enough of Africa in Macon.

True Grit Farms":3t2owru7 said:
Bright Raven":3t2owru7 said:
If I felt like this:

Must be your positive attitude. Every morning when I check cows I'm looking for something wrong. This morning the cows are covered in flies so I have to mix some spray up, dump a bag of cubes in a corner and try and spray most of them. Most days I wonder why the heck am I doing this instead of planting more pine trees, then I remind myself how much enjoyment I get from the cows when things are good. I sure have no interest in traveling to Africa and not hunting, I can see enough of Africa in Macon.

Oh my!!! You can not begin to imagine the difference. Africans are the ultimate in self reliance and self subsistence. No one over there handing out freebies. That is not to say the elements do not tax their resources. Africa is very unfriendly to humans.

the truth is when you have dirt in your blood you find peace and solitude from something that most do not understand. I often sit and watch and look at everything in amazement and Know that this did not happen by chance. I work hard and after about 30hrs in a tractor seat the last few days . My neck hurts and im walking like a 90 yr old but yesterday evening about dark I rode a section of fence that I built last year and I added a few cutoffs to keep the electric where I want it and called the cows to turn them into waste high crabgrass and they hit the gap at a full run, bucking and kicking and I could see the pure joy in their actions . the aches dwindled and I thanked Almighty for all that I have and Just smiled as they headed over to the back corner . I have days where I think its not worth it but If I tally it up I have far more days that I feel a sense of accomplishment and I know that One day when I have to answer for all Ive done, I pray he will say "well done My child"

M-5":1foaylli said:
the truth is when you have dirt in your blood you find peace and solitude from something that most do not understand. I often sit and watch and look at everything in amazement and Know that this did not happen by chance. I work hard and after about 30hrs in a tractor seat the last few days . My neck hurts and im walking like a 90 yr old but yesterday evening about dark I rode a section of fence that I built last year and I added a few cutoffs to keep the electric where I want it and called the cows to turn them into waste high crabgrass and they hit the gap at a full run, bucking and kicking and I could see the pure joy in their actions . the aches dwindled and I thanked Almighty for all that I have and Just smiled as they headed over to the back corner . I have days where I think its not worth it but If I tally it up I have far more days that I feel a sense of accomplishment and I know that One day when I have to answer for all Ive done, I pray he will say "well done My child"
:nod: :nod: :nod:

TexasBred":1en51l3m said:
M-5":1en51l3m said:
:nod: :nod: :nod:

X2

True Grit Farms":2p9shz5o said:

Hate to tell you this but those are pure blood, registered, locally bred and reared Americans. Most have an American history that probably goes back much farther than yours but the lighter colored ones may be some of your distant relatives.

TexasBred":2njcltct said:
True Grit Farms":2njcltct said:

Hate to tell you this but those are pure blobod, registered, locally bred and reared Americans. Most have an American history that probably goes back much farther than yours but the lighter colored ones may be some of your distant relatives.

NO! Vince is from North Dakota. ;-)

HDRider":25o8rwz7 said:
I still love it, but sometimes I think I am about to drown.

My hat is off to ya'll that do this well. It is no small feat. You have a right to be proud. :cowboy:

Indeed it can be overwhelming but only if you let it. What I have found helpful is when you begin to feel overwhelmed with all the little things that are swallowing you and your time like the waters of a frigid lake you need to stand back and admire the lake from a distance and reflect on the big picture; your accomplishments, your vision, and your vision of things to be.

TexasBred":1tp3l9v5 said:
True Grit Farms":1tp3l9v5 said:

Hate to tell you this but those are pure blood, registered, locally bred and reared Americans. Most have an American history that probably goes back much farther than yours but the lighter colored ones may be some of your distant relatives.
got slapped to reality with that possiblity one day.. Talking to a black Man ,who's grandmother was a Cherokee Indian,from the same area my Cherokee Great grandmother was from :lol:

M-5":1hv2b7jo said:

Nice post! :)

Jogeephus":3g356m5e said:
HDRider":3g356m5e said:
I still love it, but sometimes I think I am about to drown.

My hat is off to ya'll that do this well. It is no small feat. You have a right to be proud. :cowboy:

Indeed it can be overwhelming but only if you let it. What I have found helpful is when you begin to feel overwhelmed with all the little things that are swallowing you and your time like the waters of a frigid lake you need to stand back and admire the lake from a distance and reflect on the big picture; your accomplishments, your vision, and your vision of things to be.
I am bad about that. I'll be fighting through briers and thorns and find out I surrounded by roses.

I am working on it...

Workinonit Farm":15m0s43u said:
M-5":15m0s43u said:

Nice post! :)
I totally agree. I have been doing this a LOOONNNGGG time, and like right now, I am looking at some calves running & bucking with their tails up in the air. It sure brings a SMILE to my face. How can you raise any kind of living being and not pleasure in your accomplishments? Yes, we have bad times, but the good out-weighs the bad.
I am VERY PROUD to be a "farmer". And I love "God made a farmer".

HDRider":2dsdmx6e said:
I am bad about that. I'll be fighting through briers and thorns and find out I surrounded by roses.

I am working on it...

Same here. I find a nice cold beer and a pretty sunset can sometimes be helpful.