The truth about CAB acceptance rates...

Help Support CattleToday:

lakading

Reaction score
Grading is subjective and driven by supply and demand.

Past that, if you want to increase your acceptance rate don't follow what the ordinary majority are doing. Pay attention to the extraordinary minority that are already achieving what you want to achieve and learn from them.

lakading":24i0rpqe said:
Grading is subjective and driven by supply and demand.

Past that, if you want to increase your acceptance rate don't follow what the ordinary majority are doing. Pay attention to the extraordinary minority that are already achieving what you want to achieve and learn from them.

:?: :?: :?:

Sorry. Which part isn't clear?

The part about the subjectivity of grading being influenced by current supply and demand?

Or the part about not taking genetic selection/feeding advice from those that aren't at the level you're shooting for? Just because the national CAB average is 17% or whatever it is doesn't mean there aren't folks out there that are doing much better than that. If you're aiming to go North, don't follow a car going South just because they talk about their travels to the North.

I;ve often wondered if the aggresive implanting has maybe lowered the marbeling some.

dun":zkpf2wwy said:
I;ve often wondered if the aggresive implanting has maybe lowered the marbeling some.

Yes, there's research showing that agressive implanting lowers marbling. That was one of the reasons behind the CAB licensing of feedlots.

lakading":2chxrvoz said:
Sorry. Which part isn't clear?

The part about the subjectivity of grading being influenced by current supply and demand?

Are you saying when CAB demand is up, the USDA meat graders in the packing plants "find" more CAB beef than when demand is down? If so, you'll have a hard time making that rock fly.

1. Meat graders work for the USDA, not the packer. Why should they cheat, possibly lose their jobs, to help the packer sell more CAB?

2. The Angus Assn had projected selling a billion pounds of CAB in the next few years. They had to back off that projection because there's not that much product available. It's not an easy thing to meet the CAB standards.

3. My local meat market sells Choice beef. But he occasionally gets boxes of CAB tenderloin at the Choice price. That tells me that sometimes there's more product than demand.

The CAB premium to the owner of the cattle is affected by supply and demand.

Or the part about not taking genetic selection/feeding advice from those that aren't at the level you're shooting for? Just because the national CAB average is 17% or whatever it is doesn't mean there aren't folks out there that are doing much better than that. If you're aiming to go North, don't follow a car going South just because they talk about their travels to the North.

And there are operations meeting the CAB requirements at much higher rates than 17%. Most every month the Angus Journal will feature a producer who's doing very well at that. And they list the feedlots that are feeding cattle that meet the specs at a higher rate.

So what does the 17% reflect?

17 % of all black hided cattle grade CAB?

I'm sure this thread will be locked as usual but I would like to know where the 17 % comes from. Where can I read about that 17% ?

Jovid":8y7z7ywr said:
I'm sure this thread will be locked as usual

As long as it stays informational and does not degrade to the name calling and accusations of fraud it will not get locked, at least by me.

Thanks Mod1 I don't know much adout this and you locked the last one before I figured it out.If you all don't mind play nice for awhile please.

Jovid":1lotu9n0 said:

I'm sure this thread will be locked as usual but I would like to know where the 17 % comes from. Where can I read about that 17% ?

Here's a link to a CAB site that shows the 17.8% acceptance rate this year. It's on page 2.

http://www.certifiedangusbeef.com/press ... _endNR.pdf

Generally, when cattle come to the packing plant, they're visually appraised. There are exceptions: Penloads of AngusSource cattle don't have to be visually appraised. The ear tag they carry qualifies them to go down the CAB line, though it doesn't insure their carcass will qualify.

Live animal specs: http://www.ams.usda.gov/AMSv1.0/getfile ... DEV3016998

If they meet the live cattle requirements, they go down a CAB grader's line. If the carcass meets the specs, it's stamped CAB.

Carcass specs: http://www.ams.usda.gov/AMSv1.0/getfile ... DEV3025519

And this is a link to all USDA Certified Beef programs:

http://www.ams.usda.gov/AMSv1.0/ams.fet ... acct=lsstd

Jovid":pm4r1gol said:

I would assume it means that 17% of cattle that go down the CAB line at the packers actually meet the carcass requirements. If they are visually appraised then they have to be 51% black hided with no obvious dairy influence and no obvious Brahman influence. There may be something else in there that I don't remember. If they have AngusSource tags then they don't necessarily have to be black hided. At least that's the way I understand it.

since I was the one that quoted the 17% that was certified I will go further. Mr. Fike also said that some producers had 40-45% certified. This is what the industry should be aiming at. also if you read the links(the way I understand it) they must be 51% angus not just black hide. So my black hide Simmentals would not qualify.

kenny thomas":202illgd said:
since I was the one that quoted the 17% that was certified I will go further. Mr. Fike also said that some producers had 40-45% certified. This is what the industry should be aiming at. also if you read the links(the way I understand it) they must be 51% angus not just black hide. So my black hide Simmentals would not qualify.

how could they a determine that they were or were not 51% angus ?

rusty":1reqwhuu said:
Thanks Mod1 I don't know much adout this and you locked the last one before I figured it out.If you all don't mind play nice for awhile please.
likewise, thank you.

If I understand it correctly the calves must be from at least one registered parent or two registered grandparents. I think you have to certify that when you enroll them in the program but I will recheck my notes from the meeting with the CAB rep.
Better yet I will e-mail him and get the requirements and post them when I get them.
If anyone is interested he has been very receptive to coming and meeting with groups of producers and explaining the process along with the good and bad. He will be in Virginia in Scott Co. next month.

kenny thomas":2r5kkp7a said:
If I understand it correctly the calves must be from at least one registered parent or two registered grandparents. I think you have to certify that when you enroll them in the program but I will recheck my notes from the meeting with the CAB rep.
Better yet I will e-mail him and get the requirements and post them when I get them.
If anyone is interested he has been very receptive to coming and meeting with groups of producers and explaining the process along with the good and bad. He will be in Virginia in Scott Co. next month.

it would be much appreciated.
i'm a bit confused
if either the cow or bull must registered , then why do black calves bring a premium at the sale barn
..no one is able to determine the breed or if the parents are registered.
unless you are refering to angussource

edit sorry just re-read your post

For "Angus Source" they have to be out of a registered sire.

To qualify for CAB they have to be at least 51% black hided.

lakading":24hpemfe said:
For "Angus Source" they have to be out of a registered sire.

To qualify for CAB they have to be at least 51% black hided.

/www.angussource.com
says 50%

Latest posts