The term (soggy)

Help Support CattleToday:

Hey Jay-

I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure the term soggy came from the feedlots. To them it was kind of like fleshy. An end results of a pre conditioned steer or something. But when people use it in purebred cattle its just heavy muscled, deep bodied easy keeping cattle that just look like they have meat on their bones.

Edit- to me a Texas Longhorn (with exception to Ryan's animals) would be the opposite of soggy.

CPL":105llcbj said:
Hey Jay-

I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure the term soggy came from the feedlots. To them it was kind of like fleshy. An end results of a pre conditioned steer or something. But when people use it in purebred cattle its just heavy muscled, deep bodied easy keeping cattle that just look like they have meat on their bones.

Edit- to me a Texas Longhorn (with exception to Ryan's animals) would be the opposite of soggy.
:lol: :lol:

CPL":3c52jk8o said:
Hey Jay-

I agree with your definition of the term soggy. And, thank you kindly for the compliment on my animals.

Ryan

I believe the term refers to the lower part of the rib, when they are bulging and deep.

48) Soggy -- Cattle that are fleshy or overly conditioned from a backgrounding or growing operation.

cross_7":dvbe60pj said:
48) Soggy -- Cattle that are fleshy or overly conditioned from a backgrounding or growing operation.

cross_7-

Your definition, along with CPL's, is as close to describing a solid, terminal-type, well-fed and developed animal as you can find! The best term that I can apply to that individual is... well...ah... 'SOGGY!" Picture a large, wet beach towel 'chugged' down on a wet shower floor! Add a head, four well-positioned legs and a tail - and you have. . . "SOGGY!"

DOC HARRIS

soggy means easy fleshing cattle.that stay nice an fat year round.i sold a nice soggy reg beefmaster to a friend.an he just turned her an her herdmate with the bull this jan.

DOC HARRIS":ukqw0oe4 said:
cross_7":ukqw0oe4 said:

cross_7-

Your definition, along with CPL's, is as close to describing a solid, terminal-type, well-fed and developed animal as you can find! The best term that I can apply to that individual is... well...ah... 'SOGGY!" Picture a large, wet beach towel 'chugged' down on a wet shower floor! Add a head, four well-positioned legs and a tail - and you have. . . "SOGGY!"

DOC HARRIS

http://www.cattletoday.com/archive/2003 ... T279.shtml

Thats interesting.

Here, we use soggy and sappy interchangeably, when talking about calves, like "Number 34 has a beautiful soggy/sappy calf". We dont use the term for anything older than calves.

Basically it means the fat little butter balls whose mums have got tons of milk. That run around with milk all over their faces.

Keren":11zz4eck said:
Thats interesting.

Here, we use soggy and sappy interchangeably, when talking about calves, like "Number 34 has a beautiful soggy/sappy calf". We dont use the term for anything older than calves.

Basically it means the fat little butter balls whose mums have got tons of milk. That run around with milk all over their faces.

I know of a lot of old breeders who refer to their bulls as 'soggy'
Personally I've heard the term sappy more often, but as Keren said, it's used quite interchangeably.
A lot of agents especially love using these terms.

The only time I've heard the term sappy was applied to trees and poeple that are kind of naive

Killala":cpmv2byu said:
Keren":cpmv2byu said:
Thats interesting.

I know of a lot of old breeders who refer to their bulls as 'soggy'
Personally I've heard the term sappy more often, but as Keren said, it's used quite interchangeably.
A lot of agents especially love using these terms.

Wow, must be a location thing :???:

Yeah we use sappy more, but I've heard soggy too. Agents not so much round here, but judges at shows love it.

This is the first time I have heard "sappy" used with cattle. I have heard it used on movies and books. I sort of take it to mean too emotional, too feel good, too romantic, not realistic, gritty, or raw enough.

I have heard soggy used to describe thick calves or bulls.
My grandaddy had two older blackmen that helped around his farm and during the spring or summer months if I killed a coon or a possum they wouldnt eat it because they would say the meat would be "sappy". Anytime in the winter they would just about fight over who was going to get the coon or possum for eating. Never heard it applied to cattle.

Latest posts