The temperature the rain and the birds....

Help Support CattleToday:

Kingfisher

Reaction score
I'm hoping to catch em all right here again soon. I was looking at one of my fields that I finally got some grass growing good in. Wish I had a calf or two. I'm planning on planting some more rye grass in the next days or so. Please don't tell the birds or momma freeze. Ya'll getting ready?

The snow was finally all gone here in Southern Indiana 5 days ago. I noticed that there were a few traces of green in the yard around the house. It will be a week or more before I will be able to even broadcast any clover onto the fields. I want to try and establish the clover to increase my protein level in my hay. I had excellent forage this winter and it sure made a difference.

greybeard":2mvz739h said:
Too wet to plant anything here, except tire ruts.

I'm confused. What is this "wet" you're talking about? I haven't seen rain in so long I forgot what it looks like. :( I think we're approaching 6 inches below average for the year, if I remember correctly.

Rye grass in Central Tx. will go dorment in a few weeks when the heat hits, needs to be planted by Nov. to get any grazing.

cowboy43":28qdfxtu said:
Rye grass in Central Tx. will go dorment in a few weeks when the heat hits, needs to be planted by Nov. to get any grazing.
Yea it didn't rain in November............what happens to all the seed that the birds don't eat? Does it go dormant or is it just wasted?

Not an expert opinion, I believe it will germinate when it gets enough moisture then die out when it gets hot, kinda like the native winter grasses. I noticed yesterday my burr clover was flowering so it will not be here much longer,

Rye Grass responds to the length of sunlight it gets. Longer the length of time the less it will germinate. Think about it if this was not true then the rye grass would come up right after the seeds were shed in the early summer.

I never knew about sunlite affecting germination , explains why ryegrass does not germinate in wet summers, I guess that is the reason my burr clover is now blooming,since the time change it gets an extra hour of sunlite. :???: :banana: