The Simple Life

Help Support CattleToday:

Cattle Rack Rancher

Reaction score
I was thinking early this morning what a different life I would lead if I lived in the city. Let me give you a breakdown of the past few days. Friday, i was sick from work with a flu of some sort. This is the first sick day I've taken in over a year. Must be the fresh air in the country. After I'd spent about 2 hours on the phone because apparently me missing work is a major problem to the people I work with, I got a call from the local cattle buyer telling me that he had filled my order for the three heifer calves I wanted. Cattle are very cheap right now because we lost the American market and the feedlots are not refilling pens right now. My theory was that since I only have one open road out to my cattle, the calves would come off the truck, see my other cattle and run happily down the path to join the herd. Unfortunately, the calves didn't get to the farm until after dark. The calves jumped off the truck and headed hell bent for leather straight through the fence breaking out my corner post ( this is very hard to fix in winter in Manitoba) and then plowed through a second cross fence and headed out on the south pasture (this is not where the cows are).I have to say I was quite impressed with the speed at which they barreled through the two feet of snow that was seriously impeding my progress in following them. After following them for a short while with no success, I gave up and came back inside to continue with being sick from the flu. Fortunately they were back with the cows Saturday morning. The next night around 4 am, I got up for a glass of milk and spotted a skunk hanging around the truck. He slowly moved to the back of the yard. I went to get my gun but had lost track of the skunk. I turned on the lights and walked out the door and there was the skunk right beside the step (about two feet away from where I was standing). That sure got the adrenaline going as I dived off the steps and ran. Fortunately, the skunk was as surprised as me and took off in the other direction. I was shaking so bad I could barely hold my gun. But I was thinking as I was standing there in my bathrobe and my winter boots aiming my gun, things sure would be different if I lived in the city.

Thats great my neighbor recently purchased a yearling Brangus bull. This was a kick butt yearling.When he opened the trailer he left with his bags packed. I went over to look at this new bull prospect ask where he was, neighbor just pointed south. Now my neighbor didn't take it to kindly as I was rolling on the ground in laughter. A couple days later the new prospect returned, Well my neighbor penned the cows and ear tagged Mr. New. When he opened the gate Mr.New went through two fences heading west. I arrived shortly after this blessed event and hit the ground in laughter when I asked where Mr New was. He just pointed west. Now my neighbor was really getting a case, as I preached the advantages of a good brangus bull. About a week went by I recieved a phone call all my Neighbor said was bring Lucy (Brodie Collie). I arrived with Lucy asked what was needed, He stated that Mr.New was going to the sale barn. I asked where the yearling was He justed pointed north. After another bout of doing the coffee grinder in laughter, friendship getting a little strained.
Well with Lucy's help Mr. New was glad to return home and load in the trailer.Little teeth on heels can work miracles. To top this off as we rode to the sale barn while I was preaching he would be able to find a quality replacement at the sale with lots of laughter and glaring looks . You couldn't give my neighbor a Brangus now. Now you none of this made it back to the feed store.

Campground Cattle":2u6jfa6n said:
Thats great my neighbor recently purchased a yearling Brangus bull. This was a kick butt yearling.When he opened the trailer he left with his bags packed. I went over to look at this new bull prospect ask where he was, neighbor just pointed south. Now my neighbor didn't take it to kindly as I was rolling on the ground in laughter. A couple days later the new prospect returned, Well my neighbor penned the cows and ear tagged Mr. New. When he opened the gate Mr.New went through two fences heading west. I arrived shortly after this blessed event and hit the ground in laughter when I asked where Mr New was. He just pointed west. Now my neighbor was really getting a case, as I preached the advantages of a good brangus bull. About a week went by I recieved a phone call all my Neighbor said was bring Lucy (Brodie Collie). I arrived with Lucy asked what was needed, He stated that Mr.New was going to the sale barn. I asked where the yearling was He justed pointed north. After another bout of doing the coffee grinder in laughter, friendship getting a little strained.
Well with Lucy's help Mr. New was glad to return home and load in the trailer.Little teeth on heels can work miracles. To top this off as we rode to the sale barn while I was preaching he would be able to find a quality replacement at the sale with lots of laughter and glaring looks . You couldn't give my neighbor a Brangus now. Now you none of this made it back to the feed store.
Just another reason that a person should look at disposition and Ancestery Bloodlines before spending his hard or easy earned money.

:lol: Got quite a giggle from CCR's and La's posts.
Two years ago, the neighbours and I went halfers on four head of brahma/longhorn crossed roping steers that showed up at the auction one afternoon. Thought we'd have a little fun teaching our younger ranch horses to team rope and refresh the old hands... just find a little entertainment before haying time began.
HUGE mistake.
The first one out of the box was a brockle faced critter - he lit out of that box like he had a nitro booster attached to his butt. My neighbour's old heading horse was left behind in a cloud of dust, and as they struggled vainly to close the distance between the steer and themselves, that little rotter ran smack into the "arena" fence (page wire with rail tops), busted the post holding up that section, and fairly lifted off in a sou'westerly direction. All this happened in the blink of an eye, and before the rest of us could do more than drop our jaws at this eye-popping display of bovine determination, agility and speed.
Unfortunately, things went from bad to worse as we listened to the heart-stopping sound of "SPROING - SCREEEEEEEEECH" repeated twice in rapid succession as that blasted beast completed his exit through two TIGHT four wire fences (upon hasty investigation we concluded that the five hundred pound steer hadn't even broken a wire - mysteries of the unexplained).
Needless to say, he disappeared into the wooded hills, and wasn't seen for three days, whereupon he was returned to the scene of the crime after wearing out four darn good horses and two dogs (the blue cloud left by the cussing posse hung over the horizon for days).
Thus ended our ambition to put that steer into the chute for another go, he and his brethern were shortly returned to ring where we found 'em, and hopefully they were next seen accompanied by fries between two buns. On the plus side, after a year we were able to see the humour in the whole sordid affair, and our learning curve grew to starting those colts only on less aerodynamic stock.

Cattle Annie
You sure do have a way with words. That story is a classic.
I loved it.

I've seen plenty of cattle walk through a barbed wire fence like it wasn't even there, without breaking a wire. Especially the smaller lanky ones and calves. I had that problem a lot in my lanes that run to tthe pens. I got some fence stays and resolved it.

Yeah, I am really glad that they added these extra boards, as they show the lighter side of ranching!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
AnybodyButBush.....unless you need the gov't to tell you how to live you life!

do you need the gov't telling you what you can watch on tv or listen to on the radio? do you need the gov't making the airwaves safe for your children, or can you do it yourself? I don't need the gov't telling me what I can and can't listen to, or what I can and can't watch. I am a grown man and can make decisions for my family and myself without any help from them! If I don't want to see / hear something, I change the channel. Whats next, are they gonna tell us what we can and cannot read? In my opinion, they shouldnt be involved with personal choices, i e the gays marrying, censorship, stem cell research....while I backed Bush in the war effort, since that was a security issue and was a threat to our freedom, I cant support a guy who is trying to take away my first ammendment rights!

Yeah, I love it when the gov tells queers they can't get married. I love it when someone finally does something about the smut on TV. How did you keep the kids from seeing Janet Jackson's boob? Did you expect it? They should be fined millions of dollars for it, and hopefully they will be more careful next time. Do we really need Howard Stern on the TV or radio? Come on. They aren't telling us what we can or cannot do. They are saying enough is enough. Get rid of the smut and get back to realistic moral values. The basics of Conservatism.

D.R. Cattle":331qhjxb said:
Yeah, I love it when the gov tells queers they can't get married. I love it when someone finally does something about the smut on TV. How did you keep the kids from seeing Janet Jackson's boob? Did you expect it? They should be fined millions of dollars for it, and hopefully they will be more careful next time. Do we really need Howard Stern on the TV or radio? Come on. They aren't telling us what we can or cannot do. They are saying enough is enough. Get rid of the smut and get back to realistic moral values. The basics of Conservatism.

Archie Bunker, I mean D R Cattle, you can't be serious, can you?

Why should the gov't tell anyone whom they should marry? Please don't give me any religious dialog, because the Bible says something along the lines of people should only get married in order to create a family, or something along those lines.
Janet Jackson's boob...it was on for 1/2 a second....my kid looked at me and said," was that what I think it was?" His life didn't go into the gutter because he saw a boob on television. I feel worse because he saw the hockey guy get hit over and over again on ESPN....He has 2 sisters, he's seen a boob before! What 11 yr old kid hasn't?
Do we need anybody on the radio?
Yes, they are telling me I can't listen to whomever I want to listen to. I know how to change the station if my kids are in the truck, I know that Stern's show is going to be sexually oriented more often than not, but I like that stuff. If you don't, then that's fine too! We don't have to all like the same things.

Who the heck is GWB to judge my moral values? I am a grown man and can make my own decisions, as long as I have a choice, I am happy.

Hey, you can be wrong and we can still be friends!

Now, back to the cattle program!

Stifle yourself, you dingbat!!!

And I am out of here, it's too nice a day to spend cooped up in the office, I am gonna go home and drag a pasture full of cow poop!! Hopefully you realize this is all done in jest, and no harsh feelings were meant, so hopefully none were taken!

I thought the great moral regulator was Tipper not GWB. Don't care what they show on cable, but the public airways belong to me. The person that I elected to represent me should have the authority to make them move the smut from MY airwaves to private channels. If you then want to watch or listen to that crap, you may do so, but I do not have to support them with my Tax dollars.

arrowhunter":11pd4yet said:
If I am Archie Bunker...you are without a doubt a meathead.

Sorry eric, but I about fell over with this line, too funny D.R. Cattle!!

That one had me rolling on the floor! Very clever, DR!! :) Thanks for the laugh!

....and as you say.....WIN BUSH WIN!

Latest posts