The saga continues

Help Support CattleToday:

shadyhollownj":2dl8v056 said:
Maybe it had one of those special gestation epds that was 130 early.
Sounds like possibilities are endless. I was ribbin you :cboy: I have a sister that lives in the Millville/Vineland area. What part of Joyzee are you from?

Well we all pay the stupid tax a few times in life. Some just put more in the jar than others.

And no I do not think anything would have kept you from that sale. Perhaps in time you will see through all this.

Please let us know when you sell that first 4 grand calf.

I wish you luck with all this

If I heard all these stories about dispersals before I definitely would not have spent the money I did. I have been eyeing several sales but with everyone saying that this dispersal would be one of the biggest sales in a lifetime I figured I should go for the education at least. Gotta love you guys that want the reminders pretty much saying you will never succeed in business but then wish you luck. I'm not trying to pick a fight but why put a guy down for trying to succeed. Its not that hard to sell a 4000 calf. You get good genetics, have good management, and AI to the right bulls and people will buy your cattle especially at todays prices. I would expect that the BEST calf out of a registered herd thats AI'ed and has ET calves would be able to sell for 4000. Im not saying that you dont have to spend the money on the mommas but its not like I'm saying I'm gonna sell a bull for 600k like Colyers today.

shady,

I could write paragraphs on the whole hypocrisy of it all and how guys like you will always be 3 steps behind the newest fad, but you are not ready to hear it. Maybe some day it will all come into perspective. Until then I feel for ya and we all have been there in some form or fashion. So here is a heart felt good luck.

Just remember show are show cattle, only the names change.

Ok so I talked to Eddie Sims the auctioneer and he gave me Monties cell number. Called Montie and he is not employed or on the ranch anymore as you would expect. He said they have had a few problems with 2 recips aborting and two bulls and now this. The Blins are sticking to the "As Is" in the book and had a an attorney review it so they arent standing by anything. He said he would email randy Blin cause they are on a month long vacation to see what he says. He said maybe out of the kindness of his heart maybe he would throw me a straw of online semen or something to breed her with but I wouldnt expect much. On a side note Montie said he is working with Moss land and cattle now part time. So I dont think I'm getting anywhere. Montie did say they were all preg checked before the sale. That leads me to my best friend Randy Lathrop. Montie also said he had been on randy cause of all the problems. So I would assume she kicked at his place some time over the six weeks that he had her "In transport". So did they notice and hide it. If that the case he is worse than I thought. I know some are gonna say that didnt happen but if she was preg checked before the sale and she didnt kick here in the month I had them quarantined or in the small pasture then where did she? So I am gonna have a vet come out and ultrasound her to see if she did kick a 5 month old calf and go from there. If she was bred I may flush and then get her bred for a feb calf. So thats the story now for anyone thats cares.

: ( Who knows what happened between the time you bought her and she finally got to your place. I'm sorry that this happened to you. In hindsight, I bet that you wish that you had taken your trailer.

Shady, that's pretty much the outcome I thought you'd get, except you did get some info on a few others with problems. You also got confirmation the heifer was preg checked before the sale. I suspected she slipped the calf while in transit. I don't what kind of reimbursement you could get out of the trucker. Was there insurance on her?

I still say not to flush her until you know she can carry a calf to term. I also wouldn't put any really high priced semen in her the first time.

My experience with certain transporters/graziers is that they simply don't care enough to notice that one of the stock has delivered a premature calf.
Happened once, I didn't realise it till much later (treating an injured cow, didn't notice she was no longer in calf); that calf must have been *on* the truck. No way they could have not seen it, but they never said. Happened a second time, I visited the cattle and when I was "what the...!" the overseer tried to convince me it must have happened yesterday and they were just about to tell me except she was standing at the gate. It was obvious at first glance that she didn't slip the calf yesterday, more like a week before.

There's honest people out there who will do the right thing, just not enough of them.
Heck, I know a contractor who wouldn't employ a guy because he would 'plough through a water line and not tell the farmer'. This is no different.

In this country there's no guarantee can be given that a cow is pregnant, last time I had a group of cows scanned for sale the vet wrote "It is my opinion that these cows are pregnant". He's not allowed to state it as a fact. Because none of the PD methods are 100%. Some breeders will guarantee delivery of a live calf meaning, if anything happens they will replace or refund the animal regardless of the reason.
So even if the vet could prove that she never was pregnant there probably is no legal comeback for her having been sold as in-calf.

The trailer will definitely be coming next time. I heard that insurance was 12% from a guy at the auction. I didnt know what type it was but that seemed outrageous so I didnt get it since I was supposed to get my cattle in 7 days. Little did I know. I did find out after the sale on here how much insurance and what type to get next time.

So I received a call from Montie today after he spoke to Randy Blin. Basically they cant do anything for me because it would be opening a can of worms as far as others coming back. Montie spoke to me for a while and gave me some good advice as to what to do with the heifer and really did seem sincere. There is definitely a problem with lathrop and their deliveries though. Its a lesson learned and the outcome is as everyone expected. I'm sure they would have stood behind the heifer if it wasnt a dispersal and sold as is. It did seem as though that they felt bad that I spent so much as a little guy and had so many problems even though they werent star lakes fault and more the trucker. I did appreciate Montie taking the time to try help me and did enough to keep my business in the future. At least he did say the heifer was definitely bred and carried the calf for at least 5 months before the trucking. So thats the end of the story.

Latest posts