The Right to Repair.

Help Support CattleToday:

"Allowing untrained individuals to modify equipment software can endanger operators, bystanders, dealers, mechanics, customers, and others," said Ken Golden, a Deere spokesman. He added that customers, dealers, and manufacturers "should work together on the issue rather than invite government regulation that could add costs with no associated value."

Last I heard of this there were vehicle manufacturers pushing the same ideas.

I'm 100% behind the right to repair.. Electronic schematics, wiring diagrams, protocols, codes etc all ought to be public

we as the consumer could sway the market if when we only shopped at dealerships that offered to sell the necessary manuals to us also. we as the buyers have the greatest power. if everybody quit buy deer till they offered there manuals to the public for sale, I bet they would come around pretty quick.

Link didn't work for me but I did a search and read another article so my comment might be irrelevant: Before reading I figured it was to protect them from a lawsuit which I could understand. If you make a modification to some software and somehow there is an accident down the road where someone (could be owner or employee) is seriously injured, the lawyers will still go after John Deere because by making the information public they "encouraged" untrained people to try and fix a problem. Maybe they don't really care, but are trying to make it look like they are trying to keep the public safe to protect from lawsuits?

But the article I read said it was more about having software stolen. I don't think creating a rule or law is going to prevent an unethical person from doing something unethical.

I could make a concession.. If the manufacturer doesn't support the item anymore (Like a control module, etc), EVERYTHING about it ought to become publicly accessible.

I recently bought a Ferris lawn mower. I specifically asked the salesman the "If I do my own work during warranty, provide you with purchase proof and supply you with the defective parts, will you replace them under the warranty"? Answer was yes and in a NY minute and I bought the machine. Nice cutter. Should have done it a long time ago.

Texasmark":19f42ysj said:
I recently bought a Ferris lawn mower. I specifically asked the salesman the "If I do my own work during warranty, provide you with purchase proof and supply you with the defective parts, will you replace them under the warranty"? Answer was yes and in a NY minute and I bought the machine. Nice cutter. Should have done it a long time ago.

That all sounds good, and got you to jump on the purchase, but if you don't have it in writing, it's hearsay.

You have trouble some time down the road and you may have difficulty with the said warranty, esp. if the salesman has moved on. Salesmen tend to say what the prospect wants to hear!!