The questions people ask

Help Support CattleToday:

How many acres you have or how many head of cattle are common questions in my area, never really gave it much thought. I probably will now since I realize some consider it rude. Most of the time when I'm asked that it's because someone is impressed with our way of life or like my place, same if I'm asking the question, I ask that when I'm impressed with someone or their operation. I've never been asked those questions or have I ever asked them because I looked down on someone, if I ask it's a compliment to the person I'm asking.

How many acres you have or how many head of cattle are common questions in my area, never really gave it much thought. I probably will now since I realize some consider it rude. Most of the time when I'm asked that it's because someone is impressed with our way of life or like my place, same if I'm asking the question, I ask that when I'm impressed with someone or their operation. I've never been asked those questions or have I ever asked them because I looked down on someone, if I ask it's a compliment to the person I'm asking.
Most of the time the folks doing the asking are genuinely interested or at least curious but not malicious. I answer honestly where the cattle and land are concerned. Now when it comes to my regular businesses I can't say that anyone has ever inquired as to how much money I make. I have had people ask how many houses I've sold in a given year but not about profits or losses. I can see the other side of the coin though in that if cattle were what I did for a living I might be less willing to share the information. Interesting discussion.

Interesting thread. I get that question alot. I say "not sure, I just keep cuttin' trees and making more pasture and nobodies bitched at me yet". I had a non farmer neighbor ask me how much I make per head. I just gave a chuckle and stared at him. Maybe I'm old school, but I was taught it's bad taste to ask someone money questions like that.
You make money???

Well, it is public information, so it's not like they couldn't find out if they really cared. It's mostly just small talk.
I consider it just a conversation starter. Never thought it might offend someone.

Kind of like some will ask how many rentals I have. I don't take offense, I just ask them what are you looking for, and often find a future tenant.

Last edited:
I find it irksome and tactfully explain its akin to me asking them about their financial portfolio. Typically they are aghast by their faux pas. Knowing 98% of the USA population is clueless about agricultural endeavors, I make an effort to engage them in a further educational dialog. Win win situation in my book.

We ran into some new folks in the "neighborhood" yesterday. After chatting a bit, the lady asked how many acres we had. I'm always surprised by those kind of questions.... Kinda like asking how much money you have in the bank.
That and how many cows you own ?

It's annoying to me when people always ask how much things cost or what year your vehicles are. I really could careless what year Joe blows vehicle is or how much Sally Sue paid for her shoes or new dress. I'm not being rude just useless important. Unless your telling me about a great sale or how to save money. Or when people will say my purse cost $100 BUCKS. Or my shoes was x amount. I'm thinking why do they feel I need to know the price.
My vehicle gets me from point A to B and back to A. Its safe for my family. I'm thankful for that. My main concern is that it runs, safe, has a.c./heat, and good tires. Year 1953 or 2021 doesn't pay me no mind. I actually think an older car is way cooler than a new one you go buy any day. 🤷🏽‍♀️ Excuse me my old soul is showing. 😍👩🏼‍🦳

Occasionally people ask. My answer depends on the person asking. Good friends, family, and people in the cattle business probably get the right answer. People I don't know might get a blank stare.

Over here, how many cows or how much land you own would not be considered a nosey question. Most people would answer honestly. It is just a curiosity question.

Ken
Around here too, it's a good conversation starter and i feel they are showing an interest in what you are doing. Sort of like comparing notes. Maybe we are more easy going at this end of the world. Unless i had something to hide i can't see the issue.

Most of the time the folks doing the asking are genuinely interested or at least curious but not malicious. I answer honestly where the cattle and land are concerned. Now when it comes to my regular businesses I can't say that anyone has ever inquired as to how much money I make. I have had people ask how many houses I've sold in a given year but not about profits or losses. I can see the other side of the coin though in that if cattle were what I did for a living I might be less willing to share the information. Interesting discussion.
Good point. Perhaps whether or not one does it for a living does have something to do with the willingness to answer. If it's your living, I guess that's similar to asking how much you make a year. With me, I guess it's like discussing a hobby like sharing how many comic books I had in my collection when I was growing up.

I like when town people ask how you get in to making money off cattle. 😊

I consider it just a conversation starter. Never thought it might offend someone.

Kind of like some will ask how many rentals I have. I don't take offense, I just ask them what are you looking for, and often find a future tenant.

I like your answer. Next time I'm asked how many head of cattle I have, I'll answer with "How many do you need?"

When you have the answer please let me know too.

First I went out in the desert lassoed some cattle. Rode them back to a piece of land I claimed as mine. Told them to spit out money. 🤑💸💵
🤷🏽‍♀️🙅🏽‍♀️🙋🏽‍♀️ Yea I don't have any easy answers for that. Some think its like a get rich quick. Not seeing it takes hard work time and money to make money. Somethings aren't worth the time to trying to explain. 🙌🏾

99% of the time I get asked this question, it is someone who is not active in agriculture. I just don't think they know better. I agree that it the same as asking them how much they paid for their house or how much their stock portfolio is worth. I was just taught you don't ask people you don't know real well about their finances. When asked about acres, I tell them the owned and rented acres combined.

I never put much thought in to it, I'm mad now. 😉😂🤨 Should I be offended and mad? I do see why people would be now. It is like they maybe figuring how much you owe adding up how much money you have.
Dang cattle today is better than college. 😍 Life lessons 101.

It doesn't make me mad or offended, as others have said, most who ask are just curious. Now those who like to push the issue and start to pry, they start to get me irritated. lol

I've asked a few, but only to see if they might be eligible for a program that could make them a little more money. I could give a care what they are worth because that changes everyday.

Latest posts