The problem with Angus...

Help Support CattleToday:

aussie_cowgirl

Reaction score
Is their horrible temperament. I just found some photos documenting this fact.
donnasitting.jpg

donnariding.jpg

Here's his profile. He's nothing special. Only a young fella though. The schools stud is improving slowly as they introduce new genetics via AI
brigadeer.jpg

Yes he is a typical angus mean as he77
I told my wife just the other day that our bulls were to mean and agressive when she got out of the truck and sprayed them with fly spray while they were standing in the pasture
I guess we need to switch to herefords NOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Why can't peopel just leave well enough alone I run angus because I have a market for them and others run Char, Herfs, Limi and what ever else because that is what they like I like them alland have owned them all

for herf people to say they are more gentle well I guess they need something to say to justify owning them :lol: :lol:
Just kidding don't all you herf people get in a tizzy now

blackcowz":1870mu4e said:
Seen a sigi somewhere that says:

Grab onto the tail of an Angus cow and she'll pull you through most anything.

Some truth to that.

I like that one; Grab on to the tail of a tigerstripe and die.

I saw an example the other day which really highlighted the difference between breeds to me. I was at a sale with Herefords and blacks, all owned and handled by the same vendors. The Herefords were dog quiet, most wouldn't move in the ring and stood chewing their cud and had to be pushed out when the gate was opened. The blacks on the other hand, were absolute bonkers. They ended up letting most of them straight out as they just wouldn't settle and out in the yards, they ran around like cut snakes. mad. When the owner was asked by a die hard whiteface breeder why he had the blacks, he replied that his neighbours had blacks and he wanted to be able to supply them with the bulls they were after.
The whiteface averaged over $5k, while the blacks were under $3k.
Alternately though, I have been at Angus sales the last few days and their temperament has been pretty good, on the whole. These bulls have been hand fed for quite some time though, and there are still a few that don't like people. The one I saw make $38k today though was far too quiet. I had a very hard time getting a decent photo of him!

Killala":34yvrld3 said:
I saw an example the other day which really highlighted the difference between breeds to me. I was at a sale with Herefords and blacks, all owned and handled by the same vendors. The Herefords were dog quiet, most wouldn't move in the ring and stood chewing their cud and had to be pushed out when the gate was opened. The blacks on the other hand, were absolute bonkers. They ended up letting most of them straight out as they just wouldn't settle and out in the yards, they ran around like cut snakes. mad. When the owner was asked by a die hard whiteface breeder why he had the blacks, he replied that his neighbours had blacks and he wanted to be able to supply them with the bulls they were after.
The whiteface averaged over $5k, while the blacks were under $3k.
Alternately though, I have been at Angus sales the last few days and their temperament has been pretty good, on the whole. These bulls have been hand fed for quite some time though, and there are still a few that don't like people. The one I saw make $38k today though was far too quiet. I had a very hard time getting a decent photo of him!
he needs to change his genetics or something
I go to several Angus sales a yr and we walk around in the pens with the bull and cow/calf pairs, they always stay calm in the ring and most have to be pushed to make them move around so people can see them when in the ring

All I have to say about the fellow selling these crazy angus you talk about is he isn't very reputable if he is selling cattle with that type of attitude

While I was with them we never had an issue with the red angus. I had a bull similar in temperament to the one in the picture 2 years prior. I also had a black angus steer that required no work at all to break in, very gentle animal. but then I've seen other blacks that are wild as hell. If you choose to look for good tempered bulls you won't have an issue with the breed not matter what it is.

Jeanne - Simme Valley":2rlihgak said:
I like the SIGN in the background of the last pic :banana:
You can find good & bad in all breeds.

I know, I thought that was funny also. I bet you'd like some of our red and white simmys too :D

Personally, I thought I was going mental. I see Angus in the title(thinking black), then I see red which makes me think red angus, and then I see a Simmental sign. That's why people shouldn't mess with changing the color of their breeds. It give me a headache.

brandonm_13":38z5flv7 said:
Personally, I thought I was going mental. I see Angus in the title(thinking black), then I see red which makes me think red angus, and then I see a Simmental sign. That's why people shouldn't mess with changing the color of their breeds. It give me a headache.

I'm sorry :lol: . I finally saw that black charolais the other day. Darn thing doesn't look like a charolais, I mean, aside from the colour.

Aussie - depending on the "style" of your reds & whites. I much prefer the "American made" r&w - CLEAN fronted - looks like FEMALES. Sure don't like the Fleckvieh traditional thick shouldered, thick neck, blocky head. Guess I'm more into the Swiss & French "style".
But, yeah, I sure love those spotted cattle. Never knew what a calf was going to look like! Always a surprise. And it sure was easy to identify your cows across the field!! :banana:
brandonm - That was EXACTLY what I was thinking!!! :lol:

I know Australia has some good cattle. I'm thinking if the Angus Cattle down under are wild and unmanageable You folks need to work hard on the genetics. I see a lot of Angus cattle up here, and walk among the bulls at sales. Spray my cows while in the pasture, handle easier then any other breed I have had. And I've tried a few. There is really no excuse these days [at least in the USA] to run unmanageable Angus.

There are some individual animals that are difficult, but like my original post said, we never had any issues with the red angus, the blacks I worked with were ok cept the odd one or 2. They just often have the common misconception about being a little harder to handle, not just here in Aus either. Like any where, some breeders will put temperament below a lot of other things they look for, some cull the mad ones out.

Latest posts