The problem with Angus...

Help Support CattleToday:

Running Arrow Bill":1halz3ao said:
Dang! Those are big calves! Too big to still be on teat IMO...should be on their own with a job...LOL.

;-)

As Bill Cosby would say "Why don't you get a job... And get out of my house."

Aussie - YES!! they look great. Don't they look purrrdy!
Seriously, those are my kind of cows. Thick, deep, muscled, yet smooth shouldered & feminine.
We are strong believers - if you want them to ACT like a female, they better LOOK like a female.
I sure don't like them to look like a great steer! :shock:
So are these "typical" type Simmie in A? or do you have more of the full Fleckview type?

Jeanne - Simme Valley":2uurjq63 said:
Seriously, those are my kind of cows. Thick, deep, muscled, yet smooth shouldered & feminine.
We are strong believers - if you want them to ACT like a female, they better LOOK like a female.
So are these "typical" type Simmie in A? or do you have more of the full Fleckview type?

My cousin raises Full Fleck's and they look a whole lot like these.

3way - yes, there are more & more full flecks that are looking good. I think someone smartened up.
I would see ads "touting" their great EPD's. They'd have -5 CE & +5 BW and they would think that was great! I truly thought they were a little "confused".
I especially like the POLLED fullblood flecks. Hmmm - seems like they were in Europe for many, many, many years without ever getting that miracle genetic "fluke" polled cow and bull. Then, come to USA and VOILA! polled fullbloods.

Beautiful Simmi's .

Thanks for sharing your bull pics too. I think temperament is a huge part of the make up of a good animal. Especially since the old days of ranching and having farm hands are pretty much gone. Who can afford to have hands anymore and still make a profit so we are left to handle the herd usually by ourselves.

There are great tempered animals in all breeds, the key is to cull the whack jobs and stop passing those genetics on. Calm cattle also gain and maintain better as well. Also the cattle that are thrown out to the back forty and never see a human except when pulled back in are more than likely a little more wilder that the cows that are checked on and "walked/rode" through often.

I know in dairy, calm cattle are a must. You get one freak in the parlor and she disrupts the whole group. We culled hard for those idiots, you would not beleive how fast your milk production will drop when you get a nuisance cow in the group. As soon as one starts kicking the machine off it is like a domino effect and they all come off, even your most calmest, gentlest cow will kick her machine off. The new crazies got an education right away and if they didn't tow the line they were gone. Certain people can also make a cow a real whack job too. ;-)

Jeanne - Simme Valley":f1d65afl said:
3way - yes, there are more & more full flecks that are looking good. I think someone smartened up.
I would see ads "touting" their great EPD's. They'd have -5 CE & +5 BW and they would think that was great! I truly thought they were a little "confused".
I especially like the POLLED fullblood flecks. Hmmm - seems like they were in Europe for many, many, many years without ever getting that miracle genetic "fluke" polled cow and bull. Then, come to USA and VOILA! polled fullbloods.

I could be wrong but I believe some of those "Miralces" happened in South Africa

Jeanne - Simme Valley":3c9p08zk said:

Aussie might know more about these cows, but yes, they are typical of Sims here in Australia. I couldnt tell you whether they are simm or fleck - fleckvieh is not really a word we use much in this country, the only place I hear a lot of it is on this board.

Running Arrow Bill":3c9p08zk said:
Dang! Those are big calves! Too big to still be on teat IMO...should be on their own with a job...LOL.

;-)

Thats that good simmy milk for ya ;-) they really are calf raising machines

Yeah Jeanne those are typical for here. They're from a stud in my home state actually that I've seen compete a few times. Lovely animals. ditto on the simm/flek quiestion. Here's their website though.

http://www.bullockhills.com/about.html

In my home town I actually see more simm x angus baldies than herefords baldies now. I like the simm x better. Good mamas as we can see from the pictures. People really like putting euros on the brit cows here. Limos and Chars are used too. I think down here (in my town) they like the baby beef industry which is weaning to 18mths.

Oh over here you are looking at large frames. I think on that website it tells you the frame of their sale bulls...

they like the baby beef industry which is weaning to 18mths.
my brain must be water logged as it is not used this wet stuff coming down from the sky for the last week.. :lol2:

I jus don't understand. :? Simmis are no where even close to being a milk breed, if those calves are 18 months old and still on a cow they are pathetic . I am sorry if I sound harsh, but really ? am I misinterpreting your post Aussie, as I do not get it ..

If I am reading it right ? It sounds like these cows are not performing as they should, a calf every 12 months and bred back a 2-3 months minimum while raising a heck of a calf and a high ween weight on just grass at 210 days average..

I think I am reading and taking in everything wrong, as there is no way this could be what you have posted.

BTW Fleckvieh here means full blood Simmis, not the black and red angus influenced animals.

Haha, no no Hills we don't keep them on till 18mths. They get weaned at the same time as yours but the baby beef industry focuses on animals under 18mths is what I meant. Like farmers try and turn them off between 8-18mths unlike up north where they run them for a bit longer. I guess that's probably standard age for anywhere but I guess I was just trying to background where the euro x brit crosses come in and why they are popular.

Ohhh, as far as I know breeders prefer to use fleckvieh. I have never seen a Simm with black on it here, but because of how dark I see some I can't say re: red influenced simm.

Ha ha that is what I was hoping.
They are beauties. What we are seeing more and more around here is a moderate frame ,easy fleshing and just a complete package. Beef is quite the entity isn't it ? So many different breeds ,yet all strive for excellence. I love being passionate as I I am still with Holsteins as well as the GV breed (which you hate) and appreciate all passionate breeders who really research the breed and choose genetics that will improve their breed, and actually contribute to their breed .. :tiphat:

I knew I was water logged..Thanks for clearing it up for me.. :oops: :wave:

Ah I don't hate them, they just aren't for me. In a cruel twist of fate the uni I'm at actually has stud gelbviehs so maybe I'll change my mind. I saw a cow yesterday. She was nice, hind legs a little turned out but other than that she was a beauty. It might just be the ones over here but people have told me they can get a real yellow fat on them which the butchers don't like. They aren't popular where I'm from. I can still appreciate a nice animal though haha.

Like I've mentioned I'm considering going into Charolais. Maybe I'll buy a 3 in 1 in my last year of uni. The massive seedstock stud in my town closed up because he got bored a few years ago and people got into the chars so there is a market. I want to try and make them a little more cross breeding 'friendly'. Work on the inlaid shoulders and things. I won't ever have more than a couple of cows but I hope that the animals I do produce go on to do good things. One can only hope I suppose.

At least it's water logged and not sand logged.

Actually, Fullblood, is not only Fleckvieh. Fleckvieh is just one of the "imports" used in the Fullblood breeding programs. Although, current demand is definately leaned towards the Fleck influence.
Pretty hard to beat a black cow, bred to a good red & white Fleck bull. Wow, what a calf she'll have. If the cow is homo black & homo non spot - you get a solid black calf.
The true Fleck fullbloods do not carry the diluter gene, whereas the French & Swiss are all diluted (well, in the age of fullbloods when we got started - 40 years ago - not sure where their breeds are at now.)

Latest posts