The - PERFECT - TERMINAL BULL!!

Help Support CattleToday:

DOC HARRIS":2hqgej38 said:
Here is an example to contemplate: Given that ALL of the above-listed traits and characteristics are necesssary for Feedlot profits, if you will, - - what difference would it make if a Feedlot Steer being fed out for slaughter had a Green Hide and Green haircoat, and had ONE twisted Unicorn growing out of its head?? The hide and the horn and the breed has nothing to do with the $Profit in the Terminal Bu$ine$$.

Point well taken Doc. The reason I didn't mention a breed in my explanation was because I was thinking about it in terms of the breeds that I use, but if I were working for another ranch and they ran different breeds than I do, I suspect the terminal breed I chose would be different. Example, my commercial cows are all british crosses (except for a few experimental exceptions), so my terminal is going to be continental. If I had a herd of exotics, I'd be looking for British breed terminal bull. I'd still look for the same traits of course, but breed selection plays a role.

Twisted unicorn? Dang Doc, if we're gonna have green cows can't they at least be polled?

Rod

Frankie":atubpvb3 said:
DOC HARRIS":atubpvb3 said:
Here is an example to contemplate: Given that ALL of the above-listed traits and characteristics are necesssary for Feedlot profits, if you will, - - what difference would it make if a Feedlot Steer being fed out for slaughter had a Green Hide and Green haircoat, and had ONE twisted Unicorn growing out of its head?? The hide and the horn and the breed has nothing to do with the $Profit in the Terminal Bu$ine$$.

The "difference" is that several branded beef programs pay more for high quality cattle with black hides. Something like 40 products in beef counters use the word "Angus" in their name. You can certainly ignore that if you want, but that's one of the main reasons the nation's cow herd is turning black.
Frankie - Frankie - - read my post again! I am certainly NOT ignoring the incredible influence that the Angus breed has had on the nations (Worlds) beef herd(s), - - I have been an Angus Enthusiast for 64 years! My point was NOT to disparage the "Black" color. It was to point out (AGAIN!) that we should be THINKING and SELECTING our beef producing bulls and cows for TRAITS OTHER than COLOR - whatever color it may be!! Many breeders (producers) are so "hung-up" on THEIR breed that they can't see the Forest for the Trees! That's the reason why I 'harp' so much on learning, thinking and NOT being "Barn Blind" when it comes to selecting your animals! That's why I was so proud of the breeders who answered my post and DIDN'T blather about "color - color- color"!

I am sitting here this morning and watching the "Wehrmann Angus Sale" on Superior Auction. The No.1 bull brought $124,000 and was a STRIKING example of a BLACK Angus Bull! I have also seen some outstanding bulls in the same Wehrmann sale go for $6,000 - $8,000 who would be a benefit to ANY HERD IN THE WORLD! Why?? Because there are cows in EVERY herd that should NOT even be producing calves. And there are BULLS today in herds that are producing calves that should never have been born! And a lot of them are BLACK! COLOR doesn't spell "S-Q-U-A-T"!! QUALITY obtained by following the guidelines described by the good breeders and producers on this Forum is what spells S-Q-U-A-T! It also spells PROFIT :D :D , and SUCCESS in the BEEF BU$INE$$. If the color of the GOOD beef cattle is Black or Red or White or Dun or Striped or has 'ears' or 'sheaths' or is Green (but must be polled!) or - - whatever - - . . . . if it fits the formula for success and profit - BOTTOM LINE - - Good for you! If it doesn't fit that formula - well.....the onus is on you - -no one else! There is information and seedstock in abundance so that NO one should be wasting their time with crappy and expensive and worthless stuff!

DON'T GET ME STARTED!

DOC HARRIS

Doc:Many breeders (producers) are so "hung-up" on THEIR breed that they can't see the Forest for the Trees!

Forgive her Doc. She can't help but be condescending towards all other cattle and their owners.

Maybe she out to go back and read "Gone Flabby" again and come back down to earth. :lol: :lol:

This might help too:

http://www.cabpartners.com/news/basics/ ... _Yield.pdf

I still need to question the british cow continental bull no brainer Diamond? It certainly seems logical, just as the frame score mix that Mike talks about but is it necessary?

I thought that my post was unbias as well except maybe for the hair thing, but there are a lot of breeds that will exibit hair. However, I would like to point out a breed that has been at or near the top of a steer trial in a college here in Alberta for adg for twenty years. Carcass size is smaller but quality of carcass is exceptional. Should we say that this breed of cattle will not produce the perfect terminal sire?

The breed is not continental, nor mainstream, but the shape and structure of these animals is what is putting them on top and most breeds can acheive these statistics with selection beyond the british cow - continental bull - or big grwothy bull, small cow thing.

rkaiser":3pg1gzn9 said:
I still need to question the british cow continental bull no brainer Diamond? It certainly seems logical, just as the frame score mix that Mike talks about but is it necessary?

Oddly enough, when I posted that I was thinking of our phone conversation the other day :lol:

We are all products of our past experiences, and its like Doc said, its what makes us the bucks that matters the most. In my case, its that brit/brit/cont cross thats made me the most money. But mainly because I was able to find what I needed in the continentals that I couldn't find in the brit animals. Same as my hypothetical continental herd. To get what would be needed phenotypically and genetically would likely require leaving the continental animals behind and looking in the british breeds. And not necessarily because it wouldn't exist in the continentals but simply because it would be easier/cheaper to find in the british breeds. I guess what I'm trying to say is that I believe that each breed/type of animal still has a tendency of exhibiting certain traits, when you take the entire herd average into account.

Am I making any sense or is the 3am calving schedule finally catching up with me? :lol:

Having said that though, I see more and more evidence daily that that is changing and I suspect in a few short years time that the diffence between "maintstream" continentals and brits will be so blurry as to be virtually non-existant.

And then I'm going to have to re-learn all this crap again.

Rod