The other herd

Help Support CattleToday:

Dang, I feel for you! I thought we have it bad with our deer population... I estimate that they have wiped out nearly 30% of our alfalfa crop this year alone. Used to grow a lot of watermelons but got tired of feeding the deer! How do they control the elk population in BC... hunting?

TN Cattle Man said:
Dang, I feel for you! I thought we have it bad with our deer population... I estimate that they have wiped out nearly 30% of our alfalfa crop this year alone. Used to grow a lot of watermelons but got tired of feeding the deer! How do they control the elk population in BC... hunting?

Hunting is how they pretend to be doing something about it. Fish & Game tends to be a cycle behind at all times with regards to their management plans. But even then, most hunters tend not to be terribly successful whereas as you can see in the video the herds reproduction is extremely successful.
Fish in game is now reducing LEH (limited entry) tags because they say the elk numbers have dropped by about 50%. Totally out of touch. I bet if they had to fix my fences they would reconsider.

You have my sympathy Silver. Been there done that. Ranched for many years in California's far north west coast. Environment appears similar to yours. Fish & Game wasn't content with the huge population in the upper most county and introduced loads of them in my county a decade ago. Bloody things happily made themselves at home. More than a few ranchers have thrown in the towel as a result. Same mgt as you've experienced. :frowns: Insult to injury with the initial importations...they were chipped so land owners thinning them out wasn't an option. Ours were Roosevelt's...what are yours? Aside from being a PITA. :roll:

Best meat there is in my opinion. I got to go to my bosses other ranch in Montana a few years back. One day I'll make another trip for my wife to get one. They sure are hell on fences though

76 Bar said:
You have my sympathy Silver. Been there done that. Ranched for many years in California's far north west coast. Environment appears similar to yours. Fish & Game wasn't content with the huge population in the upper most county and introduced loads of them in my county a decade ago. Bloody things happily made themselves at home. More than a few ranchers have thrown in the towel as a result. Same mgt as you've experienced. :frowns: Insult to injury with the initial importations...they were chipped so land owners thinning them out wasn't an option. Ours were Roosevelt's...what are yours? Aside from being a PITA. :roll:

Ours were introduced as well, back in the '80's with no consultation at all. In fact they lied to our faces about that at a cattlemen's meeting several years ago. I guess they didn't figure any of us were smart enough to use the internet and find the gov't records of the transplant. Ours are rocky mountain elk.... and a PITA lol

Yeah, that's too many!

My doe still hangs out in my hayshed... There's a couple small bucks in the garden (grrrrr) at night, and 2 real beauties in a far field... Hunting season is coming up though!

Feed is all within game fence so that is not an issue. But they do winter right here, hay fields will look like a herd of horses has been pawing for a living. Herd size seems to get bigger over winter.

I won't say on a public forum how we handled it earlier on, but it became evident we couldn't win the battle and it turns out with our never ending hunting seasons you never know how many sets of eyes are watching at any given time. We do have crop insurance so every year about haying time we bring in an assessor to assess the crop loss. This was okay for a few years but the gov't (who provides the insurance) soon figured out this was a losing proposition for them so have since fiddled with the matrix such that any payout is not worth mentioning.

Latest posts