The Optimum Cow

Help Support CattleToday:

MikeC

Reaction score
Is The Optimal Beef Cow Fact Or Fiction?
Dec 7, 2007 11:20 AM, Troy Marshall

A recent symposium at the National Western Stock Show looked at the optimal beef cow. The conclusion was that the optimal cow exists, but no one knows who she is.

By its nature, "optimum" is never optimum for long when you're talking about biological animals. With the genetic tools we have available today, the optimum beef cow of 20 years ago should be a sub-par cow today.

Differing geographical locations, management practices and marketing programs can all dramatically shift the definition for what the ideal beef cow is. A farmer in Iowa retaining ownership on all his calves and selling them on a carcass-weight basis through a value-added beef grid has a totally different definition of "ideal" from a rancher in Arizona who sells all his calves at weaning.

The optimum beef cow has to be determined via a total-systems approach, where efficiency is measured not only at the ranch gate but throughout the production process. Efficiency, in and of itself, has to be separated from all the rhetoric to get to the science of it.

It's almost universally accepted, for instance, that animals with smaller frame scores equate to more efficiency from the cow side but less efficiency from the fed-animal side. However, the data would indicate there's really no difference in biological efficiency as it relates to mature size. And that -- while frame size is a moderately good indicator of mature size -- it's certainly just an indicator trait. Small isn't necessarily better.

To find the optimum beef cow, you have to have a very good understanding of the resources, economics and marketing opportunities of a given operation. Then you fine-tune mature size, milk production, growth, mating systems, etc., to that set of resources and factors.

Multi-trait and balanced-trait selection has always been the answer, but marketing and the laws of differentiation have always encouraged single-trait selection. That's why there's so much discussion about that optimum beef cow.

The odds are you won't find her in a situation where the goal is to maximize production and carcass traits. Likewise, you won't find her where somebody is trying to ignore everything past the ranch gate, either.
-- Troy Marshall

MikeC":1xpgwjwa said:

A recent symposium at the National Western Stock Show looked at the optimal beef cow. The conclusion was that the optimal cow exists, but no one knows who she is.

By its nature, "optimum" is never optimum for long when you're talking about biological animals. With the genetic tools we have available today, the optimum beef cow of 20 years ago should be a sub-par cow today.

Differing geographical locations, management practices and marketing programs can all dramatically shift the definition for what the ideal beef cow is. A farmer in Iowa retaining ownership on all his calves and selling them on a carcass-weight basis through a value-added beef grid has a totally different definition of "ideal" from a rancher in Arizona who sells all his calves at weaning.

The optimum beef cow has to be determined via a total-systems approach, where efficiency is measured not only at the ranch gate but throughout the production process. Efficiency, in and of itself, has to be separated from all the rhetoric to get to the science of it.

It's almost universally accepted, for instance, that animals with smaller frame scores equate to more efficiency from the cow side but less efficiency from the fed-animal side. However, the data would indicate there's really no difference in biological efficiency as it relates to mature size. And that -- while frame size is a moderately good indicator of mature size -- it's certainly just an indicator trait. Small isn't necessarily better.

To find the optimum beef cow, you have to have a very good understanding of the resources, economics and marketing opportunities of a given operation. Then you fine-tune mature size, milk production, growth, mating systems, etc., to that set of resources and factors.

Multi-trait and balanced-trait selection has always been the answer, but marketing and the laws of differentiation have always encouraged single-trait selection. That's why there's so much discussion about that optimum beef cow.

The odds are you won't find her in a situation where the goal is to maximize production and carcass traits. Likewise, you won't find her where somebody is trying to ignore everything past the ranch gate, either.
-- Troy Marshall

If you won't find her in a situation where the goal of the rancher is to produce a calf that will get the most premiums possible or a rancher who merely sells their calves at weaning, where do you find her?

sedrick_hall":2k2edusi said:
If you won't find her in a situation where the goal of the rancher is to produce a calf that will get the most premiums possible or a rancher who merely sells their calves at weaning, where do you find her?

You'll probably find that she's the cow that you never notice. She may not be the best cow, but she'll probably get old before you realize that all she does is her job with no muss or fuss.

dun":19wxs7kf said:
sedrick_hall":19wxs7kf said:

You'll probably find that she's the cow that you never notice. She may not be the best cow, but she'll probably get old before you realize that all she does is her job with no muss or fuss.

Yes, and her phenotype may vary from ranch to ranch, or region to region, depending on environmental/management conditions.

But she might not be the oldest in your herd who has had the greatest number of calves.

MikeC":3gwezspr said:

-- Troy Marshall
i know where she is.... its a blessing to have her.....never had one as good before....and all the attempts to duplicate her have been a failure ;-)

Does anyone care to post a picture of their optimal cow and write a few words explaining why they think it is their best?

I can start us off, while it may not be everyones idea of the optimal cow, the cow/calf pair pictured (look to my avatar) is shown with her first calf. The cow raised a good first calf and bred back quickly and delivered her second calf of the year. First calf born on January 21st and second calf born on Dec. 2nd. If only I had a whole herd that would work for me like this.

I would like to see other people's ideas of the optimal cow.

J+

i have a cow that is suddenly 15 and had all heifers on time each year. i only started retaining her daughters a couple of years ago and am kicking myself in the dairyair for selling all of the others all this time.

what was i thinking?!

Mike,

I am actually using this article in my latest newsletter. I think it is a great example. As everyone lately seems to think that the smaller they go the better they are. Or that the higher the marbling the better they are. This is not really true for everyone, but it sure seems like that is what all the "experts" are pushing these days.

Bryan

dun":3g2tezua said:
sedrick_hall":3g2tezua said:

and what turned out in my situation, was out of one of my lower end cow's. infact she was the end.

J+ Cattle":3rdfkztm said:
Does anyone care to post a picture of their optimal cow and write a few words explaining why they think it is their best?

I would like to see other people's ideas of the optimal cow.

J+

This is Petunia, my favorite cow:

2346petuniaaug04.jpg

- never had a problem calving or breeding
- very docile
- excellent udder
- good mom
- terrific hindquarter and spring of rib
- good feet
- has been a good flush cow to produce embryos
- has a perfect test score for DNA tenderness test
- very easy "keeper" and stays in good condition w/o grain

I also like her sister, Fern. They are both Spring 1995 models.

Perfect Cow Opinion...

Jwk Clarice J139 ... Charolais...

Perfect udder, level, small teats..
Perfect feet, I have never seen a cow with better hooves and legs
Amazing rear quarter, square level hip, Excellent topline,
more body then any cow, of any breed i have ever seen!! Including 57D and 2536.... She is not just a tank, she combines the body, structure, top 3% Epds, Milk, Feet, body, with an amazing front end that has style, structure, and the "look" ... put that all in one package and she flushes 15-30 eggs a pop... Her calves are amazing and If I could own one cow... It' s her..