The old days

Help Support CattleToday:

C & C Land & Catt

Reaction score
With all of the positive talk I was wondering if anybody buying steers can remember the cattle crash in the early 70s and early 90s. Almost bankrupted us in 73. Was ready for it in 93 and am ready for it again.

C & C Land & Catt":239vfie9 said:
With all of the positive talk I was wondering if anybody buying steers can remember the cattle crash in the early 70s and early 90s. Almost bankrupted us in 73. Was ready for it in 93 and am ready for it again.
In the 70's I had a few weeks that I was buying 3 to 3 1/2 wt steers in the early $20.00 range and same wt. hfrs in the late teens. Contracted later for over $50.00 cwt. coming off grass and doubling their wt.
They did OK

I remember in the early '70s there being trailer loads of dairy bull calves in the parking lot of our big stockyards with a sign that said FREE on it.
My dad and granpa said not just no but "Hell No".
But someone told me a potload would bring $4000.

Hillbilly

hillbilly":yre6iefa said:
I remember in the early '70s there being trailer loads of dairy bull calves in the parking lot of our big stockyards with a sign that said FREE on it.
My dad and granpa said not just no but "Hell No".
But someone told me a potload would bring $4000.

Hillbilly

Guess the dairy "livestock" producers were running on 3 missing out of a 6 pack.... Even 10 cents a pound sold to the Alpo factory would be more profitable than "giving" them away (which I find hard to believe--"free?").

C & C Land & Catt":2dg1h6q1 said:

Little different crash I got wiped out by bangs.

You must not have been in business when it cost more for pasture and feed than the cattle were worth. You could almost shoot them to save money on feed. We hauled 500 steers in August of 73 that weighed 750# and got @ 80 cents a #. Hauled 200 steers in October weighing 500# and got 20 cents a pound for them. Good looking cattle just no market for them.

Guess the dairy "livestock" producers were running on 3 missing out of a 6 pack.... Even 10 cents a pound sold to the Alpo factory would be more profitable than "giving" them away (which I find hard to believe--"free?").[/quote]

I guess you missed the holstine post in the feedyard board.

Hillbilly

Hillbilly, you and Running Arrow Bill need to go visit with some old dairymen. I can remember them knocking bull calves in the head with a hammer because they weren't worth hauling to town and nobody wanted to come and get 'em. I've seen some make the mistake of dropping them off at the salebarn and picking up a check with a negative dollar amount on it.

I also remember in the early '70's selling good 4 weight steer calves for 30 cents a pound and getting 7 or 8 cents for killing cows. Nobody can tell me for sure that it won't happen again.

Surely you guys remember some of this stuff. I know you two have got to be a helluva lot older than me. :D

I can remember the one in the early '90's getting $10 less for a beef heifer in the fall, than I paid for her as a bottle baby in the spring. That's when I quit looking for beef calves and went back to holsteins. And don't remember ever paying more than 50¢ for holstein bull calves until sometime in the '80's.

Good old days. The dairyman would give me as many calves has I thought
I could handle. Bottle feed to start and grain to finish. If I had been older
and better at math I would have known I was'nt breaking even, but I was
ranching and that was important to a young teen.

Looks like you have no worries for now. The test on the second suspect animal came back negative. Its good to see that some of you down there have an understanding of what we Canadians are going through right now because of the closed border. Dairy calves up here, all you want for $10.00 each.

If R-CALF has their way, maybe never. It's very discouraging because I have really good calves this year and they are talking about $.30 a lb for 500 weights this fall if the border doesn't open.

I doubt that Ann Venneman has any idea when the border will be opened.
There is speculation that it won't be until the Nov. election.
Other speculation is that it won't be until 2005.
Unless it will be in the next couple of days, I expect that no one knows. To much can happen.
For our Northern neighbors sake, it can't be to soon.

Hate to here that. Has your feed price dropped or are you guys having to eat the loss? Just hang in there the price will come back up. Every body has to eat.

Because, we've had a drought the last couple of years, feed price is higher than usual although we've had more rain this year so maybe it will be better. The government set up a disaster aid program but it sure isn't paying any bills. I fully suspect my dad and brother will be bankrupt if things don't clear up soon. They sent in 42 calves the other day between 550-1000 lbs and their total cheque came out at $12,600 CDN which is about $600.00 more than what their interest payment is this year. That doesn't count principal or any cost of living, that is just farm debt. My father was a fairly successful grain farmer with a few purebred herefords. About 6 years ago he decided to move from grain into cattle. He could have easily retired on what he got out of his land. I guess now, he won't get to retire. He has heart trouble and I can see the strain this situation has put on him. I worry about him but hopefully this will get straightened out soon. I, at least, have a job. It is hard to be enthusiastic when things seem so negative right now and my cattle which are supposed to be another income, have become an expense. Okay, I guess I'm done whining.

Latest posts