The Next Best Thing?

Help Support CattleToday:

Angus In Texas

Reaction score
OK so we have discussed the best and worst bulls in the Angus breed in recent times. So why not discuss some young bulls that you feel have the potential to be the best bulls of the upcoming decades.

I will start with Riverbend Mile High. I have seen the first progeny out of him at Riverbend and they really impressed me with their structurual soundness and their thickness. They scan really well and have great dispositions. Mile High's dam is a daughter of a full sister to G A R Ext 614.

The only drawback is that he is still too young to have any daughters in production.

Good discussion but it's only interesting for those who are yapping about "AI" bulls. If they aren't a AI bull nobody will care because they are unknown.

Bennett Index

Why are you PB breeders so ate up with a breed?
Picking the breed is a small piece of the pie when it comes to proper management and turning a profit. If I could cross Yaks with water buffalo to produce more pounds on less grass, that deliver a higher percentage of live healthy calfs is the cross I would run.

C HOLLAND":1x5e8qv0 said:
does a 2000 model count??

if so what about S A V FINAL ANSWER 0035
Now that is a darn good bull. I think Schaff Angus Valley has his daughters in production.

THG

Hey, while we are naming bulls, lets talk about S A V 8180 Travler 004 or S A V 004 Predominant 4438 and S A V Net Worth 4200? These are some top ended bulls from a great proven Black Angus cowherd. The Schaff family has done a fantastic job at producing bulls and females that work well in any environment. Also, lets not look over Rito 4S5 of 2536 SA and how about TC Total?

THG

Hey, forgot to add the Stevenson Moneymaker R185 bull. Now there is a bull that has everything to offer to the breed. Will use next spring.

THG

Caustic Burno":lsz8b708 said:
Why are you PB breeders so ate up with a breed?
Picking the breed is a small piece of the pie when it comes to proper management and turning a profit. If I could cross Yaks with water buffalo to produce more pounds on less grass, that deliver a higher percentage of live healthy calfs is the cross I would run.

I think we both know that a good cattle buyer could easily cherry pick 50 cows out of any of the top breeds (and most of the minor breeds) and come up with a good set of females that would make money in a typical commercial environment. But this is the "breeds board" so monotonous debate about which breed is better (and in the real world that really depends on who is picking the cattle) and within a breed about whether the bull Bubba Gump 1227 or his second cousin twice removed Bob Gump 056 is the superior sire is really to be expected.

6m,

Good pick, I have only seen pictures but Titan calves do look good. He will probably never make a splash because Kevin Olson's advertising budget is nowhere the budget of all the bulls THG loves. Probably be a better bull in the end for most environments.

nortexsoook":1hjqo5eo said:
THG, just gets out the latest angus journal and starts spouting off crap about this bull or that bull or this cow or that cow. Heck, he's probably never been in a cattle pasture in his life.

Wasn't he all about Herefords a couple of months ago?

I bet he has seen em, from what I understand Matt spends more on traveling to the sales and shows than on cattle.

But really what does it matter? Why would anyone care?
Its his business as long as he doesnt lie, cheat, or steal.
Let him talk, thats really all a message board is about is talking anyhow...

MD

redfornow":1wsbb1x5 said:
nortexsoook":1wsbb1x5 said:
THG, just gets out the latest angus journal and starts spouting off crap about this bull or that bull or this cow or that cow. Heck, he's probably never been in a cattle pasture in his life.

Wasn't he all about Herefords a couple of months ago?

I bet he has seen em, from what I understand Matt spends more on traveling to the sales and shows than on cattle.

But really what does it matter? Why would anyone care?
Its his business as long as he doesnt lie, cheat, or steal.
Let him talk, thats really all a message board is about is talking anyhow...

MD
You are very right, I do travel a lot. I like to see a lot of the new Angus and Hereford bulls in the breed. To some of you others, I still retain some hereford cattle and angus. I have a great traveling agenda this Fall and can't wait to attend the sales that I will be attending.

THG

From what I've seen in my A'I customers herds-Freightliner is a bull that you could breed across an entire herd and not end up with many throwaways. AAR Really Windy seems to cross well with EXT's-he sucks some of the crazy out of them.

Northern Rancher":1iwg4fg4 said:
From what I've seen in my A'I customers herds-Freightliner is a bull that you could breed across an entire herd and not end up with many throwaways. AAR Really Windy seems to cross well with EXT's-he sucks some of the crazy out of them.
Freightliner is one darn good bull. I think his daughters are really impressive from what I have seen at many ranches in the Western states.

THG

THG":34cdcq1t said:
You are very right, I do travel a lot. I like to see a lot of the new Angus and Hereford bulls in the breed. To some of you others, I still retain some hereford cattle and angus. I have a great traveling agenda this Fall and can't wait to attend the sales that I will be attending. THG

THG - Do you need an assistant? Does it pay well? I think I'd enjoy seeing a lot of the high dollar outfits. Shoot, some of them might even have GREEN grass this year and I know I'd enjoy seeing that.

Cuz

CUZ":2cn9bow4 said:
THG":2cn9bow4 said:
You are very right, I do travel a lot. I like to see a lot of the new Angus and Hereford bulls in the breed. To some of you others, I still retain some hereford cattle and angus. I have a great traveling agenda this Fall and can't wait to attend the sales that I will be attending. THG

THG - Do you need an assistant? Does it pay well? I think I'd enjoy seeing a lot of the high dollar outfits. Shoot, some of them might even have GREEN grass this year and I know I'd enjoy seeing that.

Cuz
No, got one thanks. She is the love of my life.

THG

Latest posts