The Newest Newbie Questions

Help Support CattleToday:

flaboy,

We began a program a few years ago whereby we segregate two moms and calves in the spring into a grass field by themselves. They are given the preventitive shots only. They are provided with minerals only and no grain.

We do two just in case one needs treatment during the period. We delay mom's breeding by about 2 months. This gives us a longer nursing period for enhanced growth and termainal condition/size. The one we don't harvest for personal use is always spoken for with a list left over.

We give neighbors some here and there...and ask for their honest opinions....without them knowing details of our program. The general opinion is that it is excellent beef.(not withstanding the fact it was free)

We think it is better beef...more tender... than corn fed based on our experience. (Keep in mind we are starting with a good Angus gene) :roll: ;-)

Gatorbuzz
Dunn is absolutely correct about having 2 heifers riding & not gaining as well as steers - but like he said, it depends on the price spread between heifers & steers vs profit at end of project.
Chris B -
I think you are pretty much on the right tract.

Personnally, I think the majority of "home grown" producers don't have a clue how to raise beef. Yes, I'm sure there are a lot of you experts know exactly what you are doing, and I know that a "properly" fed out steer out here is much better than what the grocery stores offer because it is mostly "select" beef. There are some big chains that offer quality western fed beef - and it is mouth watering - properly fed out on GRAIN. This is a super controversal subject, but I am a FIRM believer in grain fed beef. My brother in-law is a "naturalist" and he raised grass fed organic beef and sold it to his university professor friends for big profits - but he kept all the steaks because they were unedible as grilling meat. Charged tons for hamburg & roasts.

I also believe in the quality of food offered in the United States. I would like more detail about the "hormones & dyes" pumped into our inspected beef.
I don't plan on debating these very controversial subjects, just wanted to put my 2 cents in. These subjects have been hashed over - and over - and over - you can look them up in other threads.

Jeanne - Simme Valley":2ht02h6b said:
Personnally, I think the majority of "home grown" producers don't have a clue how to raise beef. Yes, I'm sure there are a lot of you experts know exactly what you are doing, and I know that a "properly" fed out steer out here is much better than what the grocery stores offer because it is mostly "select" beef. There are some big chains that offer quality western fed beef - and it is mouth watering - properly fed out on GRAIN. This is a super controversal subject, but I am a FIRM believer in grain fed beef. My brother in-law is a "naturalist" and he raised grass fed organic beef and sold it to his university professor friends for big profits - but he kept all the steaks because they were unedible as grilling meat. Charged tons for hamburg & roasts.

I also believe in the quality of food offered in the United States. I would like more detail about the "hormones & dyes" pumped into our inspected beef.
I don't plan on debating these very controversial subjects, just wanted to put my 2 cents in. These subjects have been hashed over - and over - and over - you can look them up in other threads.

Well, it seems some like grass fed and some like grain fed. To each their own I guess. I will try this little grass fed bull and see what happens. FOr what it is worth, he is a black baldie.

flaboy":674cs9nc said:
Well, it seems some like grass fed and some like grain fed. To each their own I guess. I will try this little grass fed bull and see what happens. FOr what it is worth, he is a black baldie.

It takes some very good grass and the right genetics to finish on grass. We used one bull, no longer available, that have offspring that fattened and marbled on our grass, took almost 24 months, but it was some great eating.

dun

dun":kb67s7fu said:
flaboy":kb67s7fu said:

It takes some very good grass and the right genetics to finish on grass. We used one bull, no longer available, that have offspring that fattened and marbled on our grass, took almost 24 months, but it was some great eating.

dun

dun,

Why so long? To get the size you wanted? Had to be a pretty good size animal at the end of 24 mos. We like the 6-750 size...younger I think a better meat...all around.

preston39":10r0zlki said:
dun":10r0zlki said:
flaboy":10r0zlki said:

dun

dun,

Why so long? To get the size you wanted? Had to be a pretty good size animal at the end of 24 mos. We like the 6-750 size...younger I think a better meat...all around.

He was 1250 lbs and hadn't had a biteof grain except for a couple of weeks during weaning. We just never got around to packaging him before then, he was a our gomer.

dun

[/quote]

dun,

Why so long? To get the size you wanted? Had to be a pretty good size animal at the end of 24 mos. We like the 6-750 size...younger I think a better meat...all around.[/quote]

All of this talk about beefing age brought back a memory (it sometimes take a smack on the head). We had a BA bull that got his leg broke from a side impact from another bull. He was around 5 if memory serves me right. We had him butchered and I must admit he was actually pretty good. Good flavor, less fat than you would think and even the steaks were pretty darn good and huge. I remember because my dad kept saying we probably wouldn't be able to chew it. I guess you just never know.

the reason that an older bull taste good is b/c he has his working clothes on an the weight an body condion comes from walking the pastures with the cows wich means his meat is leaner an he hasnt been in the feedlot staying in the bunk scott

We like the 6-750 size...younger I think a better meat...all around

Well, I guess I wouldn't have any problem raising grass fed beef - that's the size of my 7 month old weaned calves. From everyone I have talked to, it takes the 20-24 month age for grass fed FINISHED choice grade beef.

Jeanne - Simme Valley":3q3mn6u1 said:
We like the 6-750 size...younger I think a better meat...all around

Well, I guess I wouldn't have any problem raising grass fed beef - that's the size of my 7 month old weaned calves. From everyone I have talked to, it takes the 20-24 month age for grass fed FINISHED choice grade beef.

OK I'll bite. What kind of calves? What are you feeding them? Implants? Just trying to figure out he 750lbs at 7 months.

Don't know what you are so surprised at. We have been weaning 700# calves for 20 years. As most on the board know, we raise purebred Simmentals. If a calf doesn't weigh 100# per number of months old, they are not keeping up to what we are shooting for. Our calves (adjusted to 205 days weights) range between 600# & 800+#. Have had one calf with a 205 day weight of 905#.
You are welcome to check out our web site.
We feed them grass, free choice mineral & mom's milk - no creepfeed.
I'm sure if we butchered them at 750# they would be REALLY tender, but sure would be little return on a full year's investment in a cow. I'd rather see them finished out to 1300#-1400# at about 14-15 months old. I personnally don't feed out our own cattle, but I retain ownership on some that get finished out each year.
These are fairly common weights for most beef cattle of all breeds.

Jeanne - Simme Valley":1865ijc6 said:
Don't know what you are so surprised at. We have been weaning 700# calves for 20 years. As most on the board know, we raise purebred Simmentals. If a calf doesn't weigh 100# per number of months old, they are not keeping up to what we are shooting for. Our calves (adjusted to 205 days weights) range between 600# & 800+#. Have had one calf with a 205 day weight of 905#.
I'm sure if we butchered them at 750# they would be REALLY tender, but sure would be little return on a full year's investment in a cow. I'd rather see them finished out to 1300#-1400# at about 14-15 months old. I personnally don't feed out our own cattle, but I retain ownership on some that get finished out each year.

I was just wondering. I don't leave a calf on its mom more than 5 months, six tops. Mine usaully hit the road a 4-6 months. Then again from looking at your WEB site we have a little different operation going.

Jeanne - Simme Valley":3ha1petz said:

Oh, I forgot to mention my herd runs more closely to the national average WW of 525-550 for a 205 days weaning. You must be doing an excellent job with your herd. Congratulations!

flaboy":14lt72td said:
Jeanne - Simme Valley":14lt72td said:

Oh, I forgot to mention my herd runs more closely to the national average WW of 525-550 for a 205 days weaning. You must be doing an excellent job with your herd. Congratulations!

Thanks. Should point out that my comment about common wts for most beef cattle - meant AROUND HERE. NY grows LOTS of grass - real cow/calf country.
Glad you checked out my web site - but not sure what you meant about different king of operation. We do show cattle, but we manage our herd like a typical commercial herd around here - just have a great health program.

Jeanne - Simme Valley":zphq4j8y said:
flaboy":zphq4j8y said:
Jeanne - Simme Valley":zphq4j8y said:

Thanks. Should point out that my comment about common wts for most beef cattle - meant AROUND HERE. NY grows LOTS of grass - real cow/calf country.
Glad you checked out my web site - but not sure what you meant about different king of operation. We do show cattle, but we manage our herd like a typical commercial herd around here - just have a great health program.

I can't grow the great neutious grasses like Timothy,Alpalfa and some of the others down here. I wish we could. We have the old common Bahia grass. I know the deer up there are much bigger than down here. I figure it's in the water :)

What I meant about operation is I'm not sure what I could do with a 7 month old as mine are usaully gone before 6 months. Sounded to me like you don't wean until 7 months.

I don't show but I have some of my stock being shown. I have a 12 month old Charolais/Red Angus cross heifer being shown and placing but no wins yets. The blacks are beating her even though she is heavier at 700 pounds that the competition. I went to the last show even the crowd groaned when two smaller Blk Angus were picked over her. Both these blacks were same age but smaller and did not have the square butt and flat back. I told the little girl I will get her black one next year so she has a chance. She will be showing her as two year old at state next Feb.

Most good judges are well beyond being color blind. We still show reds and win - although my showstring will be all blacks this year because we are basicly only promoting our Macho calves and he's homozygous black so all his calves are black. We may show a red cow with a black Macho heifer calf on side. Calf is our last one born (April 7) & beats the pants off of most of our calves - in style & shape - just real young yet.

Jeanne - Simme Valley":u3d0ayxh said:
Most good judges are well beyond being color blind. We still show reds and win - although my showstring will be all blacks this year because we are basicly only promoting our Macho calves and he's homozygous black so all his calves are black. We may show a red cow with a black Macho heifer calf on side. Calf is our last one born (April 7) & beats the pants off of most of our calves - in style & shape - just real young yet.

I guess this sort of turned in "show discussion" so this is the last I will mention it here before I get dehorned.

I agree that the judges should not be color blind but.............He even made a statement before he started judging that the pay less attention to the Black Angus. Then he turns around and does this? I'm sure I am a little prejudice with it being one of mine but I felt bad for the little girl. She was told by the two that beat her that her heifer was going to win because she was such a nice one and then she gets beat by both of them. I guess I just don't understand the judging and maybe I should just stay away. The grand champion was a Brangus. She was ok but definitely wouldn't have been my first pick. The Brangus was provided by one of the big wigs in the county though....