The New Guy

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

I have been reading many of the message strings and absorbing as much info as I can. It would be great if someone could tell me about a book, or two or three, that I could read about ranching. I want to learn as much as possible, like # of head per acre grazing, field rotation, feed control and mix, winter feeding, vet and health matters, breeding and cross breeding... you guys have a weatlh of knowledge from years of experience, I'm just green...
Thanks

One good source is the "Texas Beef Cattle Management Handbook" (1997). Also for a very basic work, see "Storey's Guide to Raising Beef Cattle" (1998). Can also contact your area or State's Dept of Agriculture for reference books or your University Dept of Animal Science for books.

For current information I would recommend The Drovers Journal,
Beef, Beef Cow Calf Weekly, Progressive Farmer.
As far as your other questions Iit would be helpful to know where you are located, what type of land you have, what breed or breeds are you interested in breeding.

Thanks guys, I'll check out the material
la4angus
My family is in N.Arkansas, I'm considering joining them in that area. I'm looking around the circle of: N. Arkansas, W. Tennessee, SW. Kentucky, S. Missouri, and E. Oaklahoma. That puts me closer to mom and dad in Booneville, AR.
I haven't settle in yet, just learning and looking.

la4angus
I forgot your second question.
From what I've read so far, I'm leaning toward Angus, Brahma, and Hereford

R.Taber":12ctglca said:
la4angus
I forgot your second question.
From what I've read so far, I'm leaning toward Angus, Brahma, and Hereford
For purebred cattle I would go with Angus. For commercial I like the Brahman X Angus , Brahman X Hereford, or Angus X Hereford.
For the Brahman Influence in your area I would prefer the AngusPlus
which is about 3/16 Brahman X 13/16 Angus; or the Super Baldies; Same cross but with Hereford instead of Angus. For straight English breeding the BWF can't be beat.

TXBobcat":1c35xqop said:
Running Arrow Bill":1c35xqop said:
One good source is the "Texas Beef Cattle Management Handbook" (1997).

Where can you get this Handbook?
The Texas Beef Cattle Management Handbook is a looseleaf handbook that contains over 140 publications divided into seven sections: Genetics, Selection, and Reproduction; Nutrition and Feeding; Health; Pasture, Ranges, and Forages; Business Management and Marketing; Facilities and Equipment; and Miscellaneous. The Handbook is an excellent resource for anyone involved in the beef industry!

Order Now!

Table of Contents
Return to Beef Info Center
To contact the Animal Science Extension Program Unit:
Dr. Larry L. Boleman, Associate Department Head-Extension
2471 TAMU-129 Kleberg
College Station, TX 77843-2471
Phone: 979-845-3579
Fax: 979-458-3387
email: [email protected]

The Texas Beef Cattle Management Handbook looks like an excellent tool, are there similar products for the area of the country I mentioned? (N. Arkansas, SW Tenn and Kentucky, S MO & E OK) If so, how do I go about getting my hands on them?
Thanks a million

Missouri extension service has tons excellent information available online, plus pubs availabel for purchase.

http://muextension.missouri.edu/xplor/agguides/ansci/beef.htm
Nebraska and Kansas also have superb extension services

dun

R.Taber":1z1yjwwl said:
The Texas Beef Cattle Management Handbook looks like an excellent tool, are there similar products for the area of the country I mentioned? (N. Arkansas, SW Tenn and Kentucky, S MO & E OK) If so, how do I go about getting my hands on them?
Thanks a million

Latest posts