The New Gold

Help Support CattleToday:

Running Arrow Bill

Reaction score
Just saw on MSNBC news where cigarettes were costing around $10. a pack (i.e., by pack, not per pack price via carton) in Chicago and New York. Ouch!

Thanks to government taxation, Obama, non-smoking activists, etc...

The New Gold Will be:

1. Tobacco
2. Water
3. Ammunition

#1 and #3 will possibly cause an increase in crime...break-ins, smash and grab, armed robbery, etc. I can't imagine paying $75 to $100 a carton for cigarettes!! 500% increase in past 10 to 20 years! More blackmarket activity. More "bootleggin" of tobacco & ammo...lol.

Guess the users of "major brands, status cigarettes" will have to move to generic (for a while anyway) before they double prices on generic...

Visualize this: 40 million Americans having a nicotine fit...we don't need terrorists to crash our country...lol.

1 & 3 --------> Make your own! Have an electric machine that produces a pak for about 2.30. Those that use a lot of ammo can save a good bit by producing their own too. But brass is still expensive no matter how you get it.

Well, that will make me quit for sure but you know that the people who buy cigarettes instead of food will continue to do so.

The Soviets, in the mid 80's, were unable to supply enough cigarettes. There were riots, although we didn't hear much about them.
I was a tobacco farmer, and one year our quota (amount we could sell) was increased 25% after years of reductions. The reason was that Philip Morris had an order for 250 billion cigs from the USSR. That is how I heard about the riots.
If a police state like the old Soviet Union had cigarette riots and felt compelled to satisfy the people, you know it must have been serious.
I guess smokers just need to break some windows. :cowboy:

john250":92610vam said:
The Soviets, in the mid 80's, were unable to supply enough cigarettes. There were riots, although we didn't hear much about them.
I was a tobacco farmer, and one year our quota (amount we could sell) was increased 25% after years of reductions. The reason was that Philip Morris had an order for 250 billion cigs from the USSR. That is how I heard about the riots.
If a police state like the old Soviet Union had cigarette riots and felt compelled to satisfy the people, you know it must have been serious.

As you can plainly see, the information voters receive is filtered.

HerefordSire":3r1fjouo said:
john250":3r1fjouo said:

Smoked some of those crazy Soviet cigarettes years ago. Wasn't worth "rioting" over. Bought some Winston's on the internet the other day tho and they're better than ours. Made in Germany I think. About $21 a carton delivered.

TexasBred":1ea1jwai said:
HerefordSire":1ea1jwai said:
john250":1ea1jwai said:

Smoked some of those crazy Soviet cigarettes years ago. Wasn't worth "rioting" over. Bought some Winston's on the internet the other day tho and they're better than ours. Made in Germany I think. About $21 a carton delivered.

As the German Shultz on Hogan Heroes would say, "Very Interesting". :compute: :compute: :compute:

If you can spare the cash, order a case or two of your favorite tobacco product...will be much better return on your investment than any real estate, mutual fund, or stock market "investment" you might make... The USA government hasn't even begun to clobber the tobacco (and ammo) users...

I am, as a rule, a logical optimist about all things...however, not so sure about how our Country is going at this point in time...

As Charles Dickens said in the 19th century in his play, "A Tale of Two Cities"..."It is the best of times and the worst of times..."

Running Arrow Bill":3skt2cn3 said:
If you can spare the cash, order a case or two of your favorite tobacco product...will be much better return on your investment than any real estate, mutual fund, or stock market "investment" you might make... The USA government hasn't even begun to clobber the tobacco (and ammo) users...

I am, as a rule, a logical optimist about all things...however, not so sure about how our Country is going at this point in time...

As Charles Dickens said in the 19th century in his play, "A Tale of Two Cities"..."It is the best of times and the worst of times..."

Look at this plague hitting Utah...

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090629/ap_ ... r_invasion

The history books say this happened in Utah also.

Operation Big Itch was a September 1954 series of tests at Dugway Proving Ground in Utah.[2][3] The tests were designed to determine coverage patterns and survivability of the tropical rat flea (Xenopsylla cheopis) for use in biological warfare as disease vector.[3] The fleas used in these trials were not infected by any biological agent.[4] The fleas were loaded into two types of munitions and dropped from the air.[4] The E14 bomb and E23 bomb, which could be clustered into the E86 cluster bomb and E77 bomb, respectively.[3] When the cluster bombs reached 2,000 or 1,000 feet (600 or 300 m) the bomblets would drop via parachute, disseminating their vector.[3]

The E14 was designed to hold 100,000 fleas and the E23 was designed to hold 200,000 fleas but the E23 failed in over half of the preliminary Big Itch tests.[3] E23s malfunctioned during testing and the fleas were released into the aircraft where they bit the pilot, bombadier and an observer.[4] As a result, the remaining Big Itch tests were conducted using only the smaller capacity E14.[3] Guinea pigs were used as test subjects and placed around a 660-yard (600 m) circular grid.[3]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Big_Itch

This one was in Georgia:

Operation May Day was a series of entomological warfare (EW) tests conducted by the U.S. military in Savannah, Georgia in 1956.

Operation May Day involved a series of EW tests from April to November 1956. The tests were designed to reveal information about the dispersal of yellow fever mosquitoes in an urban area. The mosquitoes were released from ground level in Savannah, Georgia and then recovered using traps baited with dry ice. The operation was detailed in partially declassified U.S. Army report in 1981.[1]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_May_Day

There are others also.

In Alberta a carton of regular cigarettes is about $92. The guy in front of me at the gas station pay register bought a package of smokes for $11(25 cigarettes)!
It is a sad fact of life that our government gets a huge portion of their income from tobbacco, booze, and gambling revenues. Recently gambling revenues passed royalties on the Alberta tarsands!
I often wonder how the Mafia, outlaw motorcycle gangs, and other assorted organized crime groups are supposed to compete with the government for the proceeds of human vice? If the government ever takes over the illegal drug trade the gangsters might have to go legit and get a government job!

Alberta farmer":3v81vkzq said:
In Alberta a carton of regular cigarettes is about $92. The guy in front of me at the gas station pay register bought a package of smokes for $11(25 cigarettes)!
It is a sad fact of life that our government gets a huge portion of their income from tobbacco, booze, and gambling revenues. Recently gambling revenues passed royalties on the Alberta tarsands!
I often wonder how the Mafia, outlaw motorcycle gangs, and other assorted organized crime groups are supposed to compete with the government for the proceeds of human vice? If the government ever takes over the illegal drug trade the gangsters might have to go legit and get a government job!
You raise an interesting point. The recognized gangsters might do a better job than the crooks running it now. What you think??

Ryder":338gjv9z said:
Alberta farmer":338gjv9z said:
You raise an interesting point. The recognized gangsters might do a better job than the crooks running it now. What you think??

:nod: :nod: :nod:

I think the days of "bootleg" products are gonna come back real strong. Bartering for goods may also take on a whole new interest.

BeefmasterB":mnttql7k said:
I think the days of "bootleg" products are gonna come back real strong. Bartering for goods may also take on a whole new interest.

And a hel of a lot of stealing :cry2:

BeefmasterB":1nqpp0s1 said:

I like the idea of bartering. As for bootlegging. Don't know about that cause they will probably pass a law making it illegal to do this which of course will stop it - right. Or does it make the price get even more tempting? I get this stuff confused. :oops:

RAB.....I think you may have stumbled on to something...not sure if you knew this or not....

2.5% of all the water in the world is fresh. Of all the fresh water in the world that is fit to drink, more than 75% is in North America.

Bill Clinton signed a presidential directive, number 28, which is legislation that has been put into the Federal register. It did not go to Congress for approval. They withheld it for two weeks, only giving the Legislation 14 days after review before it became law. It is called the River Heritage Act. He is taking the largest Rivers in the United States and declaring on behalf of the Federal Government that ten miles on each side constitute a World heritage protection site. Now, why would he do this? Because, people must have water to drink. Notice the term "World" was used.

http://www.epa.gov/rivers/brochure.html

Here is what Clinton said...

"Today we are going to rededicate our country to restoring our river heritage, and to reaffirm one of our oldest values, the importance of safeguarding our national treasures for all generations to come."

- President Clinton
Announcing the Implementation of the American Heritage Rivers Initiative

Here is what he could have meant...

You don't do as I say, you don't drink. (*History can support this thought*)

Latest posts