The National Debt questions?????

Help Support CattleToday:

alabama

Reaction score
The National Debt

I have some questions about the National Debt and would like some of y'all to help me to understand it. I may even be asking the wrong questions but this is serious to me and my expectations for the future of this country.

1) When will we pay off the national debt? Or do we even need to plan to pay it off? Is there an optimal amount of debt that the nation should maintain?
2) How big can the national debt become before it causes the country to become bankrupt or cease to operate and collapse. Is there such an amount?
3) Do we need legislation to limit the debt or could that cause the demise of this country. Is there a plan to repay the debt? I know when I borrow money I have to have a plan to repay it before it will be loaned to me.
4) Who holds the note on this country? Who does the US borrow from?
5) What would happen to the economy if the country had no debt?
6) How much of my tax money goes to pay the interest on our debt?

Please think about this and help me to understand why our government allows the debt to grow every year.

alabama":2uv2be8q said:
Please think about this and help me to understand why our government allows the debt to grow every year.

This one is simple.

:mad: :mad: :mad: GREED :mad: :mad: :mad:

Plain and simple greed.

Politicians for life.

You scratch my back and I'll scratch yours.

Bringing home the bacon.

Selfishness on the part of the politicians.

Anything to get re-elected.

Welfare for the non-deserving.

Violation of the Constitution.

And the hits just keep on coming.............. :mad: :mad: :mad:

Politicians and baby diapers should be changed often and for the same reason.

grannysoo":230kuh9z said:
alabama":230kuh9z said:

This one is simple.

:mad: :mad: :mad: GREED :mad: :mad: :mad:

Plain and simple greed.

Politicians for life.

You scratch my back and I'll scratch yours.

Bringing home the bacon.

Selfishness on the part of the politicians.

Anything to get re-elected.

Welfare for the non-deserving.

Violation of the Constitution.

And the hits just keep on coming.............. :mad: :mad: :mad:

Politicians and baby diapers should be changed often and for the same reason.

Prehapes it should be blamed on short sited voters that vote for the one that will make them the most money. I like to believe that we have enough politions that believe in this country as I do and would like to see it prosper throughout the lives of our grandchildern. I think it is up to the voter to ask the hard questions and vote for the answere that will best help this country. What is good for the country will one day be good for the people.

It's comforting to see we owe Japan and China a half a trillion each. I wonder how much room it would take to hold a trillion dollars worth of rice.

dyates":vptj4euk said:
It's comforting to see we owe Japan and China a half a trillion each. I wonder how much room it would take to hold a trillion dollars worth of rice.

I don't know how much room it would take but if they call the debt we better start planting rice and a lot of it.

alabama":fxq0ldsf said:
TexasBred":fxq0ldsf said:
Bama...check this out. Will be a good starting point.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Treasury_security

Cool: Is that the only way we borrow money? What if the owners of this sort of stuff start to sell it off and we have a "Run on the treasury?"

Bama....T-Bills and notes are traded daily. They have a stated maturity and ONLY at maturity are they actually "due" and you are guaranteed to get 100% of your principal back. But they also carry a stated interest rate and interest is paid semiannually. At all other times they may trade at different rates. Sometimes at a loss (say 95% of par), other times at a premium (say 105% of par). Don't think China wants to Cash in right now because what they're holding may not be worth 50 cents on the dollar. Hold it til maturity and get interest payments plus their principal.

T-Bills are maturing and being redeemed at all times so the debt is in effec being retired, however, new isssues are coming out at all times as well.

This is from the federal gov. site

Interest Expense Fiscal Year 2008
September $19,883,186,641.26
August $29,955,818,521.99
July $24,068,218,919.73
June $110,973,195,891.45
May $22,388,495,898.10
April $22,362,345,451.78
March $23,023,540,357.53
February $20,037,492,573.51
January 24,686,746,422.35
December 106,138,177,851.45