The Myth of Rural Culture

Help Support CattleToday:

Bright Raven

Reaction score
I returned to Kentucky in 2010 after residing in Colorado, Wyoming and Montana for 30 years. My rebirth to rural America has been a revelation and a disappointment. The idea that rural America is the bastion of American "goodness" is a myth. What I have discovered is that rural America suffers from the same ills as urban America. Drugs are a problem all over America and it is not limited to the "white trailer trash". The man who owns the farm north of me is addicted to drugs. The traffic that comes in and out of his farm house tells the story. What I observe is too many rural Americans pay lip service to common civility while trying to beat their neighbors in any way they can.

May not be modest to state, but I have performed numerous favors for farmers in my area and except rarely get a favor returned. I could go on and on about my observations but I will leave it open for discussion.

My purpose is not to whine about it. My point is the same breakdown that we hang on urban America is just as bad in rural America.

Jogeephus":1pb8elei said:
People are people no matter where they live which is why I'm so fond of dogs.

Me too. I find peace and contentment in my dogs. There are some wonderful folks in both places.

Bright Raven, I understand what you're saying, and there is no doubt problems everywhere... rural and urban.

What I do notice is no matter what problems are in the rural areas we don't have drive buys! Watch your local TV station and every morning the main theme is how many deaths occurred overnight by gun battles or car wrecks.

It has been massively disappointing, and depressing, to find this out. Moving from liberal New England to conservative Idaho has proven that no matter what ideology you follow, people are people across the board. I have met a bunch of really nice folks, and a bunch of really selfish folks. I've met conservatives that will give you the shirt off their back and an extremely pious and "biblical" man that put his cows on someone's land b/c "the weeds needed clearing." When asked if he knew who owned that land his reply was that it was "better to ask forgiveness than permission." I have also met liberals who share the same ideology and those that have made themselves poor by giving away all their money to help their poorest of students survive. Folks is folks, no matter the church they attend or way they vote. I just wish that the lip service would end and people would start walking the walk.

We have a transplant from California - the Frisco area I think - who is all about bringing my town out of the stone age. If things were so great where he lived I can't understand why doesn't he move back instead of telling us how behind the times we are. If he decided to leave, I think he'd be surprised at the southern hospitality the community would extend volunteering to help with his move. I know I'd be there bright and early loading boxes for him.

Sure, we have some drug related crimes. A few months ago they found a local drug dealer's body in a field. He had been beaten with a ballbat then shot in the head. This was the first murder we've had in over ten years. Prior to that four drug dealers were found in a burning car in a peanut field. They had been shot as well but volunteer firefighters were able to extinguish the blaze before much damage was done to the peanuts. It seems our major crime is the refusal of people to wear seatbelts. This seemed to have been the focus of local LE for some time but I think they saw the futility of this and have left this to the state troopers to handle.

D2Cat":25uae391 said:
Bright Raven, I understand what you're saying, and there is no doubt problems everywhere... rural and urban.

What I do notice is no matter what problems are in the rural areas we don't have drive buys! Watch your local TV station and every morning the main theme is how many deaths occurred overnight by gun battles or car wrecks.

I don't watch any news. It is all a left wing propaganda conspiracy to demoralize America.

Rural culture is the only way I can survive and care to live. We have our problems in the country for sure but it beats living close to the cities all to heck and back. There's a big difference between cities, that Miami for instance, you can walk, shop and eat in little Havana. And you won't make it out of Liberty city with your money and be lucky to be alive. The demographics of the neighborhood makes all the difference in the world in the cities.

Bright Raven":2zxih9ed said:
D2Cat":2zxih9ed said:

I don't watch any news. It is all a left wing propaganda conspiracy to demoralize America.

I'm sick of the non-news. Celebrities, deaths by accidents, house fires, etc. What purpose does it serve me to know that Bob Jones died in a motorcycle wreck this past weekend? His family deserves some privacy and his friends will be notified. The news has gone from being things we should know to things they think we should know. It's all click related and it's also a BIG distraction for the average Joe.

People are people no matter whether urban or rural. Used to be farm neighbors would work together in tobacco hay, hog killing etc., times and farming practices have changed, now most folks have their own equipment and more specialized in their types of production. A week or so ago an article in our local paper from someone with some kind of title in the city or county, was titled "Not just a farming community anymore". He was saying that he had moved here some years back, and that at that time the Walmart was sitting out alone amongst fields with lots of hay bales and a few barns in poor states of repair. It just seemed to me to be one more in a long list of many articles and editorials that were implying how much better the community is with growth and development than with just us farmers. I still think that there is something to the idea of rural hospitality, although I do agree that the drug plague has affected it significantly. It is a sad reality that it is hard to know who you can trust or take at their word.
On a side note it seems like we are living a big city the past few days as a stretch of the Mountain Parkway is currently closed due to road work. Traffic is being rerouted to our road and it is hard to get out of our drive way.

The community itself makes a huge difference. We have problems with drugs, etc. like most places, but they are pretty small time and limited. That's one of the best things about a town that has the 4th of July as it's biggest holiday.

dun":1puhdu2b said:
The community itself makes a huge difference. We have problems with drugs, etc. like most places, but they are pretty small time and limited. That's one of the best things about a town that has the 4th of July as it's biggest holiday.

Our little farming community had a great parade on the 4th. Fire trucks and old tractors all sporting American flags. It was great fun. Had a real good fireworks show over the river that night as well.

Warsaw, KY has its share of problems but all the neighbors seem to help one another and get along pretty good. Heck, I wouldn't mind living there myself someday.

TennesseeTuxedo":3f8vzj5r said:
dun":3f8vzj5r said:

Our little farming community had a great parade on the 4th. Fire trucks and old tractors all sporting American flags. It was great fun. Had a real good fireworks show over the river that night as well.

Warsaw, KY has its share of problems but all the neighbors seem to help one another and get along pretty good. Heck, I wouldn't mind living there myself someday.

That is an understatement. :nod: You would be there now if the little lady would let you.

:banana:

Bright Raven":2elw43zx said:
TennesseeTuxedo":2elw43zx said:
dun":2elw43zx said:

That is an understatement. :nod: You would be there now if the little lady would let you.

:banana:

Yup, well there's also this thing about earning a living.

I find it highly entertaining that a man that rejects two important parts of rural culture complains that it's not what it's cracked up to be. Here in Eastern Oklahoma openly mocking faith or openly disrespecting a lady would pretty much put you on the same level as the druggies and thieves in lots of people's minds.

cow pollinater":1upssi6i said:
I find it highly entertaining that a man that rejects two important parts of rural culture complains that it's not what it's cracked up to be. Here in Eastern Oklahoma openly mocking faith or openly disrespecting a lady would pretty much put you on the same level as the druggies and thieves in lots of people's minds.

How long has it been since you made that pitiful announcement that you had to leave CT because of me? :D

You hold onto a grudge like it is money.  You must believe if you hold it long enough, it will pay you dividends. It reveals something about you.

Only you know, but this is not about mocking faith or my behavior, it is about your pride and insecurities. It goes back to the thread on freemartinism. It was not my intention, but it was obvious that you didn't understand the biological basis of freemartinism.

How long you dwell on this is an expression of who you are. Knock yourself out, I will watch. :banana:

Bright Raven":1wmr9eo2 said:
cow pollinater":1wmr9eo2 said:

How long has it been since you made that pitiful announcement that you had to leave CT because of me? :D

You hold onto a grudge like it is money.  You must believe if you hold it long enough, it will pay you dividends. It reveals something about you.

Only you know, but this is not about mocking faith or my behavior, it is about your pride and insecurities. It goes back to the thread on freemartinism. It was not my intention, but it was obvious that you didn't understand the biological basis of freemartinism.

How long you dwell on this is an expression of who you are. Knock yourself out, I will watch. :banana:

There are some of us who just choose to ignore you.

Dave":2289xyci said:
Bright Raven":2289xyci said:
cow pollinater":2289xyci said:

There are some of us who just choose to ignore you.

That is a good coping policy. I also know there are users who enjoy my participation. It would be an unusual human experience if someone appealed to everyone. But that is not what this is about.

Latest posts