the mystery of popcorn, solved.

Help Support CattleToday:

cowgirl580

Reaction score
INDIANAPOLIS - Eat your way to the bottom of almost any bag of popcorn and there they are: the rock-hard, jaw-rattling unpopped kernels known as old maids. The nuisance kernels have kept many a dentist busy, but their days could be numbered: Scientists say they now know why some popcorn kernels resist popping into puffy white globes.

It's long been known that popcorn kernels must have a precise moisture level in their starchy center — about 15 percent — to explode. But Purdue University researchers found the key to a kernel's explosive success lies in the composition of its hull.

It turns out there is an optimal hull structure that allows kernels to explode, and leaky hulls prevent the moisture pressure buildup needed for kernels to pop.

"They're sort of like little pressure vessels that explode when the pressure reaches a certain point," said Bruce Hamaker, a Purdue professor of food chemistry. "But if too much moisture escapes, it loses its ability to pop and just sits there."

He and his associates compared the microwave popping performance of 14 Indiana-grown popcorn varieties and examined the crystalline structure of the translucent hulls of both the popped kernels and the duds.

In the varieties popped, the percentage of unpopped kernels ranged from 4 percent in premium brands to 47 percent in the cheaper ones.

The findings could be good news for people who savor the snack and those who grow the 17 billion quarts of popcorn sold each year in the United States.

Wendy Boersema Rappel, a spokeswoman for the Chicago-based Popcorn Board, said popcorn processors are always looking for ways to improve their product, including reducing the number of old maids. "It's one of life's annoyances — it's not rocking anyone's world, but our members always like to improve their product," Rappel said

Wonder if the "Popcorn Institute" paid for that study or if the goverment (we) did

dun

will sleep much better tonight knowing that you cleared that up...this is the cow boards..not the popcorn boards

yeah, i know its the cow boards. but at this point in time i have nothing whatsoever to add to the cattle discussions. but when i do you'll be the first to know. oh yeah, glad i could help you with your sleeping problem too.

my favorite is the ones that are only partially popped or just cracked a little.

cowgirl580":i6bvkz0m said:
yeah, i know its the cow boards. but at this point in time i have nothing whatsoever to add to the cattle discussions.
You??? Well in that case maybe you could find a filthy talking exbarmaid dispatcher board so the rest of us wouldn't have to live in your smoke filled motel room. Take your buddies with you.

sure, sure. i'll get right on that ollie. and since your not liking what i'm writing, my suggestion would be not to read it. funny how that works, huh?

ga prime and beefy, those are my fav's too. dig to the bottom of the bag just for those. like 'em covered in butter.

ollie":14bsdde0 said:
cowgirl580":14bsdde0 said:
yeah, i know its the cow boards. but at this point in time i have nothing whatsoever to add to the cattle discussions.
You??? Well in that case maybe you could find a filthy talking exbarmaid dispatcher board so the rest of us wouldn't have to live in your smoke filled motel room. Take your buddies with you.

:oops: :oops: :oops:

:oops: ollie, hate to disgust anyone

there are a lot of good clean folks that i like/admire/whatever! Sorry to offend them. I said what i did because it was funny to me and several others. I just hate to get sent to the principal's office for a spankin!

(grief!!! Even when i apologize it comes out twisted!)

cowgirl580":1yq9htj7 said:
what are you :oops: :oops: :oops: about cowgal? :?:
She has the maturity to know out of 1500 people I am not the only one who is offended by the corseness of the speach and the jokes on several different threads. I appreciate the fact that while she isn't offended personally she doesn't want to offend others. Maybe you should learn Cowgirl580 that you don't want to ever get caught posting the most crude posts out of 1500 people. Cowgal, speaking for me, clean up the jokes and then forget it. No hard feelings on my part.It would do everyone good to remember that some are younger , some have different moral standards , some are even preachers. Lets not offend them with our posts. There are plenty of other formats for that talk.

Latest posts