The Murray Grey Cow

Help Support CattleToday:

Wisteria Farms

Reaction score
From another post... we were just discussing Murray Grey cows and thought I'd add a couple pics. I'm on the laptop so this is all I have on here but will add more later when I'm on my main computer. Just gives you an idea of the "type" cow I look for... (This is Kayla and Tink)...
more_from_home_011.JPG

This is Kayla...(my favorite)
more_from_home_012.JPG

This is Tink....
I'd like to show you Randi and Wendy as well but they're on the other computer...
I'm currently working on getting a little more length...(Tink needs more length)

Don't TINK with the Tink that is as good as they get.

Wisteria Farms":3drgjpeb said:
From another post... we were just discussing Murray Grey cows and thought I'd add a couple pics. I'm on the laptop so this is all I have on here but will add more later when I'm on my main computer. Just gives you an idea of the "type" cow I look for... (This is Kayla and Tink)...
more_from_home_011.JPG

This is Kayla...(my favorite)
more_from_home_012.JPG

This is Tink....
I'd like to show you Randi and Wendy as well but they're on the other computer...
I'm currently working on getting a little more length...(Tink needs more length)

Hi Angie-

Good lookin' herd! Makes me kinda' proud!

I do agree with W.T., though. I would be very careful when deviating from your "Multi-Trait Selection" protocols and attempting to acquire "...a little more length". You have achieved a beautiful BASIC Phenotype with your cattle, and to 'tinker' a little bit with ONE single trait characteristic is like being a 'little' bit pregnant! The concomitant traits that accompany length, (thickness, hindquarter depth, loin width, and sometimes overall bone density, among others), can throw a monkey wrench into a well-functioning breeding protocol! It would be similar to your adding a bull to your breeding program that is 'longer' than your current base genetics, and then wondering (in about a year and a half) "...what the heck happened to my well-laid plans of the last five years??" By manipulating with one trait on one individual you are stirring the genetic pool with a blender!

A few years ago I 'dabbled' around with Oil Painting, and the biggest fault that I had was ...leaving well-enough alone! Invariably I would screw up a pretty good painting by adding 'just a litte bit more' someplace when I should have quit while I was ahead! Then it really went to pot in my attempting to correct my mistake.

Just a suggestion.

DOC HARRIS

Very nice cows and I like your website too.

Wish you were closer, I'd love to see your bull in person!!

Kudos to you

Doc Those Murry grey cows are as good as i have seen in quite some time. It has taken me a life time to get cows that look like those, and i hope Angie just maintains those cow's the way they are." If It ain"t broke don't fix it." Yes Those cows are good real good.

On second thought Angie if you want something with a little more length. I could buy some of those fancy Angus show cow's from one of those annual dispersal sales and trade you fair and square and then you can have a little more length?

W.T":345r49l0 said:
On second thought Angie if you want something with a little more length. I could buy some of those fancy Angus show cow's from one of those annual dispersal sales and trade you fair and square and then you can have a little more length?

W.T.-

As Angie's Herd Consultant, I would have to recommend that she not succumb to your smooth, sly, furtive, and clandestine - rather underhanded - suggestions - although I have to admit that it was couched in rather flowery language. ;-) But she has a breeding protocol and future seedstock goals agenda that will smoothly expatiate her Murray Grey seedstock program into one of the most desirable MG herds in the United States! :nod: It has NOT been accomplished by luck, or hit and miss selection choices! :help: I am sure that she will politely reject your surreptitiously designed covert efforts to acquire her laboriously-developed breeding herd. I am sure, however, for a mutually satisfactory remuneration :tiphat: :banana: , that I may be able to arrange a financially acceptable exchange which would allow you to acquire some rather exceptional Murray Grey genetics in the future for your perusal and benefit! All exorbitantly valuable considerations will be given serious quantification by all concerned! :wave:

Watch that first step! :shock: It is a corker! :hide:

DOC HARRIS

DOC HARRIS":36bssnfz said:
W.T":36bssnfz said:

W.T.-

As Angie's Herd Consultant, I would have to recommend that she not succumb to your smooth, sly, furtive, and clandestine - rather underhanded - suggestions - although I have to admit that it was couched in rather flowery language. ;-) But she has a breeding protocol and future seedstock goals agenda that will smoothly expatiate her Murray Grey seedstock program into one of the most desirable MG herds in the United States! :nod: It has NOT been accomplished by luck, or hit and miss selection choices! :help: I am sure that she will politely reject your surreptitiously designed covert efforts to acquire her laboriously-developed breeding herd. I am sure, however, for a mutually satisfactory remuneration :tiphat: :banana: , that I may be able to arrange a financially acceptable exchange which would allow you to acquire some rather exceptional Murray Grey genetics in the future for your perusal and benefit! All exorbitantly valuable considerations will be given serious quantification by all concerned! :wave:

Watch that first step! :shock: It is a corker! :hide:

DOC HARRIS

Now Doc i just would hate to see those cows changed by chasing some multi-trait rainbow that has never been caught! :cowboy: Angie the Tink cow may be my favorite. How old is she? and lets see some more of your cow's the suspense is killing me. :nod:

First... WOW! and THANK YOU! I'll post some more pictures of a few more herd "favorites"...
OBE_168.JPG

This is "Wendy".. she is Tink's heifer from last year. Interesting to note, Wendy was our favorite calf last year and Tink has given us a bullcalf this year that we can already tell is going to be tops so I think we're going to look into possibly flushing Tink...she's just one of those cows that seems to give you something good EVERY time. Oh, and Tinks age.. her tattoo is 09S so she is a 2006 model.
Randi.jpg

This is "Randi"... she is out of my absolute FAVORITE old cow and really takes after her mother.
October_2010_281.JPG

This would be "Henna"...not my best cow but another one out of my herd to look at...(and yes, those are more of my girls in the distance)
toona.JPG

This is "Toona"... Toona probably has a bit MORE leg than I like...but I still like her balance and very feminine head (which you can't really see here).
IMG00232-20110524-1912.jpg

This is "Pennie"... she is my embryo cow bought from Eagles Run...(Willalooka top and bottom)...gave me one of the two highest weaning wt. bullcalves last year AND she is my one and only BLACK cow.
OBE_115.JPG

This is "Kahlua"... she is a young heifer in this picture but has a temperment to die for which is why my youngest daughter showed her in Ohio. She just has that good "rectangular" body that I love but not quite enough "leg" so she was sold to the next door neighbor where she'll be spoiled rotten!
OBE_112.JPG

This is "Christy" (and my hubby Jeff! :heart: )...she was only a weanling heifer here but shows promise of being as nice as her mother "Misty" (will try to find my good pic of Misty).
May_2009_111.JPG

This is "Misty" (dam of Christy above)...
OBE_133.JPG

Lastly, this is MY baby with one of our new "babies"... truthfully this is why I love cattle... its great for my kids to grow up in this lifestyle!
I have lots more cows I could show you so if anyone is in our area please feel free to give us a call and come by for a visit. We'd love to show you these girls in person and "shoot the breeze" anytime! :welcome:

Also, Thanks ESPECIALLY to Doc...
What a lot of you may not know is that Doc Harris helped me purchase my first bull (who was subsequently nicknamed "Doc") and it could't have been on better advice. That bull has given us WONDERFUL calves (daughters Wendy, Christy, Kahlua all above). Then, I had the pleasure of having Doc as a guest in my home and after touring my rather "modest" set-up, he made many recommendations that were put to good use. Over the years I've seen Doc be bashed at times when his advice didn't "jive" with what someone wanted to hear... but my herd is proof that when you LISTEN and APPLY his "pearls of wisdom"... he can REALLY help you. Yes, Doc, I'm still listening...and you would be proud of the improvements we've made! THANK YOU and hugs to you and Ruthie!

Great to see some very nice MG cows from the Northern Hemisphere!
I must look out some of our Down Under girls.
I've just been doing some weaning calculations as to cow to calf weaning weights, adjusted to 200 days. Best so far is a '99 born cow that has just weaned heifer twins at 77% of her own bodyweight (adjusted to 200 days) Actual was 94.7%!
She weighed 530kgs and the combined weight of her twins was 502kgs at weaning at 252 days. That was on summer grass only-no added feed, except hay back in August/September when they were born.

So here are a few more cows, just weaned their August born 2010 calves in early April, now going into winter!
[
Tussock.jpg

Tussock, age going on 13 years, just weaned her eleventh

Nine year old Xalt just weaned her seventh calf and I just sold her 2009 born bull to another stud.
Xalt2-1.jpg

A three old with her second calf
Aug1st2009012.jpg

A general view of some of the girls after weaning, on the start of their autumn pasture.
CowsatPippasApril.jpg

Those are beautiful....! That last picture (of the group) is so pretty. Looks like you have a real nice herd yourself! My favorite is Xalt (though I'm partial to silver!haha). What are some of your bloodlines? I'm always curious to know who's "kids" I'm looking at, haha.

Thanks WF, always enjoy seeing MG's on your side too-same breed different conditions.
Our pasture is very much mixed with weeds and all sorts of grass, pretty much grows all year round except July/aug when we supplement with hay and baleage, so no special treatments!

Xalt is now our biggest cow, she weighed 826kgs when she weaned her 300kg heifer this year, which I think is around 1820lbs!

Her pedigree can be seen on http://www.murraygreys.co.nz then click on EBV enquiry and enter Yorkvale Xalt in the name. She has several Australian bulls in her background, including Orcadia Park Jac Man and O.P. Manhattan, Kaba Park Woof man, Robern Mr Muscle and Lochaeber Braes Diplomat. I'm sure you have probably heard of the last two.
27310012.jpg

Here she is with the the 09 bull calf at foot which we have just sold

and her bull calf Exalt at 17 months.
DSC05931-Copy.jpg

Yes he has a ring in his nose as we showed him as a yearling, but he has not been grain fed, our Shows tend to be one day,events with a bit of hay to keep them amused!
He weighed 722kgs (around 1476lbs?) on 2 April age 19 months.

His sire was Kotare Rambler, a NZ bred bull
RamblerDec09-1.jpg

who was very low birthweight EBV,s to counteract Xalts pretty high ones-but she has excellent Milk and growth ones-so you can't be ahead of the game all the time!
Rambler has Gilmandyke Park Frame Up, and Balmoral Elation on his sires side way back and also Woodbourn Fame and even further back Bimbadeen and Cadella Park blood on his dam side.

How neat! Thanks so much for adding more pics... LOVE, LOVE, LOVE that first one with her and her 09 bullcalf. I actually think that picture shows her even BETTER than the first one I saw ! Lovely female that I'd be proud to call my own!

Yes, most of the pedigree names you mention I have heard. My herd is primarily Willalooka Pharaoh, Willalooka Unity, Lindale Hobo, WCC Freightliner, Wee-Gun Tjandamara, Willow Creek Thunder, Temar Lotus, Orcadia Park Sundance, etc. My Sr. herdbull is out of Lindsay Elect. Funny story about that. His breeders said they bought a semen tank from an old breeder that had some older straws in it. They said the guy couldn't tell them anything about the semen so they decided to use them up and see what they got. Well, they wound up being pleased with the Lindsay Elect calves and my bull was one of those calves. Try as I might, I can't find any info on Lindsay Elect.

I've heard of some of the sires of your blood lines too, though haven't got any in our herd.
Did you look up Lindsay Elect on the Australian Murray Grey website? His full pedigree and EBV's are on there.
I know this is a MG cow thread, but I've just bought a new bull, from a DVD, haven't seen him in the flesh but have every confidence in the reports of him, and we have bought from the breeder twice before. He goes back to Tasmanian bloodlines.

Everest.jpg

He is 20 months, 676kgs grass fed !

Actual EBV BW +3.0 200d+17 400d+27 600d +44 Mat.+42 Milk +7 scr +0.4 - carcase +24
Breed Avg. EBVs for 2009 Born Calves +3.1 +18 +28 +41 +42 +3 +0.3 +24