the lone fall-calver

Help Support CattleToday:

angus9259

Reaction score
I'm in Michigan and started fall calving my commercial herd to avoid vacation conflicts. I think I might be the lone fall calver in Michigan. Anyone else out there???

Fall calving's been a dream. I still have to calve some of my registered stock in the spring to meet bull demands and this weather is brutal on calving. The cold, rain, mud, all dramatically increase the risk of calf loss and increase management costs. Plus, I have weanling calves (spring) when no one else in Michigan does (October). I do have to feed heavier in the winter which is the only (and significant) drawback. But I can still buy a lot of feed for the hours I spend watching calves in the rain.

Thinking of taking the whole group fall calving and selling 18 mo bulls.

angus9259":1btz047l said:
I'm in Michigan and started fall calving my commercial herd to avoid vacation conflicts. I think I might be the lone fall calver in Michigan. Anyone else out there???

Fall calving's been a dream. I still have to calve some of my registered stock in the spring to meet bull demands and this weather is brutal on calving. The cold, rain, mud, all dramatically increase the risk of calf loss and increase management costs. Plus, I have weanling calves (spring) when no one else in Michigan does (October). I do have to feed heavier in the winter which is the only (and significant) drawback. But I can still buy a lot of feed for the hours I spend watching calves in the rain.

Thinking of taking the whole group fall calving and selling 18 mo bulls.

If it works for you, go for it. We had just a few calve in the fall last year, but didn't re-breed them for fall this year. They're going to be bred for spring calves next year. Feeding nursing cows through the winter is expensive, plus I hate to be out heat checking in December. :p Then there's the cost of keeping those bulls longer. We calve in Jan-Feb which are usually the coldest months of the year here, but doubt they can compare with your winter up there.

There are pros and cons, main con being typically require more feed throughout the winter. Main pro being typically better weather as a whole for calving. I know some guys around me that "fall" calve in August/September, and then "spring" calve in Jan/Feb. Alot of people around me just calve in the spring, but there are a few that do both or strictly fall.

I think in an ideal world, I would like to have spring and fall calvers. That way I can get better use out of my bulls. They can breed twice as many cows as they are now. If some herd expansion takes place for me, I will move to a spring and fall calving system.

18 month old bulls are really a pretty good idea. They can handle a few more cows their first year.

the best thing todo is calve in whatever season that suits you.because your the 1 thats calving the cows out.

bandit80":3pc2z7jq said:
There are pros and cons, main con being typically require more feed throughout the winter. Main pro being typically better weather as a whole for calving. I know some guys around me that "fall" calve in August/September, and then "spring" calve in Jan/Feb. Alot of people around me just calve in the spring, but there are a few that do both or strictly fall.

I think in an ideal world, I would like to have spring and fall calvers. That way I can get better use out of my bulls. They can breed twice as many cows as they are now. If some herd expansion takes place for me, I will move to a spring and fall calving system.

18 month old bulls are really a pretty good idea. They can handle a few more cows their first year.

I've not had any problems with cow breedback or winter body scores on cows. I don't grain either. I don't know that the winters here are really that bad (worse than oklahoma :lol: ). My fall is exactly as you say (aug/sept) which means I'm breeding back in November. Typically a decent month for outdoor work yet.

Bull utilization is a big bonus. I typically don't need to run a bull pen. The ol boy just switches herds after AI is done. Bull procurement is also easier. Everyone in Michigan is trying to sell or lease out bulls at that point.

I think the buying public would prefer an 18 mo bull as well, but storing bulls any longer than I have to seems to be a drawback to me. I don't think people will actually pay that much more for an 18 mo bull than a yearling. Hard to say till you try.

angus9259":1mk5s9tb said:
bandit80":1mk5s9tb said:

I've not had any problems with cow breedback or winter body scores on cows. I don't grain either. I don't know that the winters here are really that bad (worse than oklahoma :lol: ). My fall is exactly as you say (aug/sept) which means I'm breeding back in November. Typically a decent month for outdoor work yet.

Bull utilization is a big bonus. I typically don't need to run a bull pen. The ol boy just switches herds after AI is done. Bull procurement is also easier. Everyone in Michigan is trying to sell or lease out bulls at that point.

I think the buying public would prefer an 18 mo bull as well, but storing bulls any longer than I have to seems to be a drawback to me. I don't think people will actually pay that much more for an 18 mo bull than a yearling. Hard to say till you try.

Really I think late August/September is ideal for fall calving. We will get a flush of growth from our cool season grasses in September. Of course, this is probably based on local. Different regions will obviously have different types of grasses. To me it is all about matching grass growth to when the cow needs it the most. For us, we can get that twice a year.

i used to calve in the fall with my grandfather. it worked really well till he passed and my new job is very hectic at that time of year. i changed to calving right now when i mam laid off. if thing were to change i would have calve at both times as to have a steadier supply of beef for customers.

Latest posts