The local Amish suing the city

Help Support CattleToday:

Bigfoot":1y0bhwhz said:
A couple of towns over actually. Seems frivolous to me. I guess if you don't have Amish in your area, then your not familiar with the way they do things. Itll be interesting to watch this thing unfold
http://www.wkdzradio.com/Amish-Sue-Aubu ... s/22972714

Interesting for sure BF and I agree it doesn't seem like they would argue against something that seems like common sense would prevail. I'm sure it hasn't dawned on them that not everyone is willing to stop to shovel up there horses own crap which led to this ordinance. I don't see a tag, though it could be there, to show they pay taxes on the road they are using. :hide:

I wonder if you check a horses diaper like you do a kids. Poke your finger down the back and sniff

I haven't heard of horse diaper ordinances. To my knowledge their aren't any Amish in this county, but have heard that some Mennonites have come into an area of it. There are some in some close by counties, some of the folks fuss about the horse manure on the roads. To me the biggest issue is the danger of accidents involving vehicles with the buggies.

OldCrow":df7ru9ia said:
Bigfoot":df7ru9ia said:
A couple of towns over actually. Seems frivolous to me. I guess if you don't have Amish in your area, then your not familiar with the way they do things. Itll be interesting to watch this thing unfold
http://www.wkdzradio.com/Amish-Sue-Aubu ... s/22972714

Interesting for sure BF and I agree it doesn't seem like they would argue against something that seems like common sense would prevail. I'm sure it hasn't dawned on them that not everyone is willing to stop to shovel up there horses own crap which led to this ordinance. I don't see a tag, though it could be there, to show they pay taxes on the road they are using. :hide:
No tags so they pay no taxes for road use. I have heard some people say they deed their farms to their church to avoid property taxes but not sure if it is true. There are Amish and Mennonites in this area, I really can't tell them apart. Some of them closer to Bigfoot run the roads in tractors pulling trailer hauling the family, some even run tractors with steel wheels, odd site to see a newer tractor with steel wheels.

They're swarming my county buying any and every acre they can get their hands on. Probably be the only neighbors I have in 5 - 10 years. I'll just say I hope they lose their suit. They run those horses until they die right on the side of the road. I believe a horse was created for more than just pleasure but you should try and take care of them and not work them to death.

I was raised Mennonite and my grandparents were Amish when they were young. I left it all when I turned 18. The groups I was raised in wouldn't have sued over anything, they didn't believe in it.

No Rest Farm":3meuda8n said:
I was raised Mennonite and my grandparents were Amish when they were young. I left it all when I turned 18. The groups I was raised in wouldn't have sued over anything, they didn't believe in it.
That had been my experience with them as well
They don't believe in suing

Never heard of them putting property in churches name
The ones I knew all had their farms in their own names not the churches

Amish will sue but do it under a business name. It's odd that two Amish men are doing it on their own. I wouldn't be surprised if the suit is filed in court under a business rather than the individual Amish men.

Amish is one of the fastest growing religions in this country. Ohio State estimates that a new Amish settlement pops up every 3 1/2 weeks. I live in one of the largest Amish settlements in the US and I can attest that they are growing fast and buying up everything. A doublewide on an acre of land will be bought up by a young Amish couple as a starter home with a one car garage turned into a horse stable. I used to be located right outside of their settlements but they have expanded way past me in just the last two years. I've contemplated selling my farm and making a good profit by selling it but, I've resisted but I don't know for how much longer.

The worse part of living around Amish is not the Amish themselves its the dang tourists that are drawn in.

rla442":14kmfial said:
Amish will sue but do it under a business name. It's odd that two Amish men are doing it on their own. I wouldn't be surprised if the suit is filed in court under a business rather than the individual Amish men.

Amish is one of the fastest growing religions in this country. Ohio State estimates that a new Amish settlement pops up every 3 1/2 weeks. I live in one of the largest Amish settlements in the US and I can attest that they are growing fast and buying up everything. A doublewide on an acre of land will be bought up by a young Amish couple as a starter home with a one car garage turned into a horse stable. I used to be located right outside of their settlements but they have expanded way past me in just the last two years. I've contemplated selling my farm and making a good profit by selling it but, I've resisted but I don't know for how much longer.

The worse part of living around Amish is not the Amish themselves its the dang tourists that are drawn in.
Around here it's the menonites and texas lawyers that are buying up everything. I prefer the menonites

Like a nest or bed of rabbits. One builds it and they just keep coming out and spreading. There is a lot about them that is all right most seem really nice but there is a lot about them I can't stand. One thing they'll bug you to death, can I get a ride or we got all the places around you when are you gonna sell. Get tired of all the asking. I will say if you do something for them charge them because they'll charge you for everything really well. There is no such thing as doing favors and receiving one back. I just got a mixed bag of feelings about them.

FlyingLSimmentals":3pu3wegt said:
Like a nest or bed of rabbits. One builds it and they just keep coming out and spreading. There is a lot about them that is all right most seem really nice but there is a lot about them I can't stand. One thing they'll bug you to death, can I get a ride or we got all the places around you when are you gonna sell. Get tired of all the asking. I will say if you do something for them charge them because they'll charge you for everything really well. There is no such thing as doing favors and receiving one back. I just got a mixed bag of feelings about them.
Most of the ones I've dealt with have a pretty good sense of humor. A little bent but still a good one.
The only thing that I've done that could be sort of considered a favor was one young guy left his hammer here when they finished a job. It had been a gift from his dad and it was an old one. He asked if I would mail it to him which I did. Cost me 5 bucks or so. A week later I got an envelope in mail from him with a 20 dollar bill in it.

rla442":u44fsmql said:
Amish is one of the fastest growing religions in this country. Ohio State estimates that a new Amish settlement pops up every 3 1/2 weeks. I live in one of the largest Amish settlements in the US and I can attest that they are growing fast and buying up everything.

sounds like they want to farm more than others. How are they out competing the English in Ohio?

I missed spoke there dun. It didn't surprise me he sent you some money for returning the hammer. They'll usually will pay really well for things like rides, and services you do for them. But had it been your hammer I'm not sure you would have got it back without paying for them to send it to you first.

Stocker Steve":1mtwd2oz said:
rla442":1mtwd2oz said:
Amish is one of the fastest growing religions in this country. Ohio State estimates that a new Amish settlement pops up every 3 1/2 weeks. I live in one of the largest Amish settlements in the US and I can attest that they are growing fast and buying up everything.

sounds like they want to farm more than others. How are they out competing the English in Ohio?

Not all Amish are farming. They got the money on the smaller/non farm properties. Buying up foreclosed houses that the English/Yankees might not be able to get a loan for. Buying farm land is a different story and they are in competition with everyone else. They are opening a lot of small businesses outside of farming. They have the market cornered on salvage groceries. There's Amish salvage grocery stores on every side road now.

rla442":1ee5o3ry said:

Even stranger is the fact that their church "doctrine" includes the prohibition of horse diapers. BTW they do pay taxes, property and FIT.

Latest posts