The Latest 3 have been a pain

Help Support CattleToday:

FlyingLSimmentals

Reaction score
-The first of the three had twins, a bull and a heifer. The bull was born dead and the heifer is on the cow. It was a topic of another thread. Cow and the twin heifer are doing well, the cow just has way too much milk at the moment.
- The 2nd one had a bull calf and got up and ran off and left it. It was her 2nd calf. Buzzards had ate the white tender bottom portion of the hooves before I got back with some colostrum. Got cow and calf up in small pen. She has claimed the calf. Calf is really slow and or weak. Having to keep it penned up, where dam can be close by for it to nurse. Vet thinks he might have a heart problem. Seems to be normal just really slow. Have given it colostrum, bottles of milk, bottles of water, and electrolytes. Vet gave it a Selenium/Copper shot, and some LA 300. It is nursing the cow but gets tired really easily.
- The last one just had a dead bull this morning. Looked to be well over 100 lbs. which isn't very normal here. Figured the size of the calf may have gave her trouble and it died before getting all the way out. She is the cow whom has had repeated twins for me. Had about sold her after those twins but gave her another year, finally had a single bull last year whom did well and sold nicely. It bought her another year but now she has grown wheels with the loss of this one. Gonna do my best to have her out of here by Labor Day.
Lastly I have got a bad sinus cold or something that is keeping me down. Maybe if I felt well I could have found it soon enough to save it. Well, I guess I'm just asking for some better luck and some prayers for a better August than July was. Hope everyone else are having some good luck if not I'm wishing you some now. Been off the board awhile so I'm gonna do some reading and catch up on things here. Good Luck Folks!

You're due for some good luck! And you're making me nervous because we have a similar situation: Satan had twins 2 years ago, initially claimed both but 3 days later left the smaller one to die (both heifers). Searched 3 days & finally found the calf, amazingly still alive, and raised it as a bottle calf. Last year she had a dead bull calf; the Hoofometer Birthweight Tape said 117 lbs (error +/- 7 lbs) so I suspect the same thing as your cow even though she clocks in at 2000 lbs & this is definitely not her first rodeo. Gave her one more year. She's bagging and big as a barn so my plan is to bring her down to the barn, watch her like a hawk & hope for the best.

Sending good ju-ju - and maybe try a Z-Pack from your Dr for the sinus problem :)

Thank You! Wishing you the best with yours. I hate seeing Dr.'s on behalf of myself but I'm getting tired of tuffing it out, and yes it is usually a Z pack they will give me. Most of the time I can't really tell that it helps me any.

Hope August will be alot better for you . Seems like bad things go in bunches sometimes. Being sick on top of all the other sure doesn't help. Hope the new calves pull through ok and you get to feeling better.

Had 2 late ones this week - 130lb and 119! But both are out and healthy so far, and half way grown it seems. :?

Cows are really fat this time of year, so I'm just gonna blame that and hope for the best next calving season.

Good thing the calf got antibiotics quick, vultures get a nip in and infect the calf with bacteria. So if they dont get it while the cow is down, they get the calf later when it dies of infection....I hate those birds.. Keep an eye on it for joint swelling.

Latest posts