The Last Show for a Steer

Help Support CattleToday:

Bright Raven

Reaction score
This picture is worth a thousand words. This little guy is crossing a one-way bridge. The Last Show for his steer.

eagsx5.jpg

I've used to see that plenty back when. Broke my heart and misted my eyes for those kids (and some parents) saying their goodbyes.

I started another thread about my son's Livestock show last weekend. While he was the one that was showing the pigs and they were his project my little girl claimed the gilt we bought. She was going to show it in the Pee Wee Showmanship class and my son was going to show her in the breeding class. Long story short our best barrow started limping and we had to show the gilt in the market class. While my daughter was aware of this possibility there were several tears on Saturday as Speckle the gilt was sold. Broke this Dad's heart too Slick.

I was mowing Saturday and caught a baby rabbit. Brought it and showed my 5 yr old then took it back outside to release it. My daughter asked my wife: mommy can we had a pet rabbit....and NOT eat it?

That imo can either get them started on the right path to accept the business as what it is or either give them an unforgettably bad experience and he shy completely away from livestock.

If it ain't that steer, barrow or gilt it'll be Feefee the cat or Ralph the dog. Just a life step in learning how to deal with a loss.

wbvs58":1snv5g34 said:
Uggg, poor little fella, I feel real bad for him. I wonder what the outcome will be, will he be discouraged?

Ken

They all go through that. There is a picture in the office of Rocking P. It is from the Louisville Courier Journal of Chad Phillips when he was about 14. He is now about 50. The North American Stock Show was over and Chan is crying because his time showing his heifer was over. The relationship between people and animals is magnificent.

I went through it. Both of my kids have gone through it. But they now realize when we raise a market animal, it's end purpose is for the freezer. Food. That is why we do what we do. It is a part of growing up on a farm.
The nice thing about the heifers? They get to move forward and either stay in the herd or sold for someone else to use as a cow. So the kids get attached to the females, but not the males.
Growing up, my dad lessened the blow by calling our steers names like TJ (tender and juicy), or we had a Peanut (he was a char cross) and dad would walk by his pen, take a deep breath, and say "Mmmmm, smells like chunky PEANUT butter!"

slick4591":1tplzgzu said:
If it ain't that steer, barrow or gilt it'll be Feefee the cat or Ralph the dog. Just a life step in learning how to deal with a loss.

I have one sister and three brothers. My sister had a beagle named Jippy. She dressed her and loved her to death. Jippy got into the sickle of the mowing machine. It was awful. The whole family was devastated. To this day, we talk about that.

Bright Raven":jqdlmz6n said:
slick4591":jqdlmz6n said:

I have one sister and three brothers. My sister had a beagle named Jippy. She dressed her and loved her to death. Jippy got into the sickle of the mowing machine. It was awful. The whole family was devastated. To this day, we talk about that.

Gawd, that was a bit of a brutal ending Ron.

Ken

That's why I can't do the show thing. Especially the younger kids. Encouraged any to show heifers that could go home to the farm or to another to be bred. The older ones seem to get a handle on it for the steers to go in the freezer. First time kids seem to have the hardest time. I never had any show cattle and when showing the horse, it was never a problem that she was going back home. Yes the loss of a pet is tough too, and a lessen in life, but you can usually bury it and all that. Then a new one comes along and steals their heart and they can get by the pain.

We don't show cattle. Our kids enjoy cattle and absolute understand why we raise them. And they've not had this sort of crushing experience ...

At our place, our kids will ask, "Are we eating Blackberry tonight? I hope so because Blackberry is AWESOME!"

My youngest, when he was four, was watching a couple of steers graze with me. He asks me, "Dad, she are we gonna eat Rusty?"

I respond, "I don't know buddy? Why?"

"Because he looks TASTY!"

...no need to show cattle to learn what it's all about.

WalnutCrest":2yay8bop said:
We don't show cattle. Our kids enjoy cattle and absolute understand why we raise them. And they've not had this sort of crushing experience ...

At our place, our kids will ask, "Are we eating Blackberry tonight? I hope so because Blackberry is AWESOME!"

My youngest, when he was four, was watching a couple of steers graze with me. He asks me, "Dad, she are we gonna eat Rusty?"

I am amazed they handle it that well. I have what must be a different experience with my cattle. I could not eat one of my own. I am also particular about who I sell them to. I will not sell heifers to my next door neighbor and he has asked to buy. I don't want to look across the fence at a heifer I raised, took care of, played with and see her not treated as well as I prefer.

Bright Raven":2f33f37p said:
WalnutCrest":2f33f37p said:

I am amazed they handle it that well. I have what must be a different experience with my cattle. I could not eat one of my own. I am also particular about who I sell them to. I will not sell heifers to my next door neighbor and he has asked to buy. I don't want to look across the fence at a heifer I raised, took care of, played with and see her not treated as well as I prefer.

I teared up a bit when a steer named Crazy Man (because he was sooooooo laid back) stepped off the trailer. As he walked off, I whispered to him, "Thank you, buddy. I really appreciate this."

My kids still talk about a bull we ate named Xcalibor and how sweet tempered he was. He was my dad's favorite ... and sometimes when we reminisce dad, we reminisce his favorite bull, too.

We are thankful, to a person, for each member of our herd and for their contributions throughout their whole life.

The first one we ate everybody thought it was weird. My mom even questioned me if I'd be able to do it. I offered to give her some steaks off it and she refused them because she had fed it some. That was about 3 years ago and we have had homegrown meat ever since. We have pork right now that was my son's 4h pigs. Tasty. The kids take it like walnuts do. They never check up when eating.

Latest posts