The Last Field

Help Support CattleToday:

HAY MAKER

Reaction score
IMG_0905.jpg

Just one cuttin off these sorgum sudan fields this year been way to dry,this little field is 26 acres and produced 137 4x5's..............good luck

skyeagle":2u1x1fth said:
What is hay going for in your area

Whatever the price is, you could get it here.

THERE IS NO HAY WHATSOEVER!

I put out my last bale a week ago and had to flip a coin to see which pasture to put it in.

skyeagle":o257ke8v said:

I have'nt kept up with hay prices,but I was reading the news paper this morning and saw where some one was selling square bales of sudan for $6 in the field,probably getting about $45 for a 4x5 round bale and the closer we get to winter the higher it will get.............good luck

skyeagle":48zytw5t said:

I can answer your question now,I did a lil checkin around and 4x5 sudan in the field $75 I dont know any way I could make a beef cow pencil paying that much money for hay,and I dont mind saying I have little use for a man that would gouge another cattle man,I dont believe I could look a man in the face if I was charging that much for hay............good luck

HAY MAKER":3ayikg2b said:
skyeagle":3ayikg2b said:

I can answer your question now,I did a lil checkin around and 4x5 sudan in the field $75 I dont know any way I could make a beef cow pencil paying that much money for hay,and I dont mind saying I have little use for a man that would gouge another cattle man,I dont believe I could look a man in the face if I was charging that much for hay............good luck
Well said, even though I am on both sides of that coin. Fuel hasn't gone up that much.

cfpinz":1tl6dyrp said:
Heritage_Farmboy":1tl6dyrp said:
MikeC":1tl6dyrp said:
skyeagle":1tl6dyrp said:

THERE IS NO HAY WHATSOEVER!.

there's a lot of hay here

That's funny. I'm just over an hour east of you and hay is scarcer than hen's teeth. :shock:

cfpinz

Plenty of hay in So. West Virginia - Summers and Monroe Co. Haven't priced any though. Of course, most of this hay is just grassy hay and doesn't have any thing fancy mixed with it. Then again, if you didn't have ANY hay it would be great.

Square bales here are $4-5 each in the field. Round bales are $55 & up depending on size/quality. I am partnering w/my hay guy to go to Louisiana and get round bales for $35.00. He is letting me have 10 bales per trip at cost and then he sells the rest to pay for the trip. Hope this works.

HAY MAKER":wr2zouzq said:
Bringing it in,lil to hot to haul much after 12 o clock tho...........good luck

Why ya'll turn the bottom row on it side?

I'm just a small timer hobby cattle farmer compared to the rest of you guys and usually am able to cut & bale more hay than I need each year for my cows. In years past, I have sold my excess hay but this yeat the drought we have been having has me worried. This week I rec'd a call from someone, that I didn't know, who was looking for hay. I felt guilty for not selling him hay but as I explained to him, we have been mostly out of rain and fields are getting really short. If we don't get rain soon, my fescue might not put forth the fall growing season like it usually does so I won't be able to stockpile the fescue. I think I will hold onto my hay and see what happens in next 5-6 months. Last year my cows had green fescue into Feb but this year it is not looking so good.

Heritage_Farmboy":355wl0uy said:
cfpinz":355wl0uy said:
Heritage_Farmboy":355wl0uy said:
MikeC":355wl0uy said:
skyeagle":355wl0uy said:

That's funny. I'm just over an hour east of you and hay is scarcer than hen's teeth. :shock:

cfpinz

Where do you live?...out near Staunton and Waynesboro?

Across Afton Mountain from Waynesboro. About 10 miles.

cfpinz":2xgzke5x said:
Heritage_Farmboy":2xgzke5x said:
cfpinz":2xgzke5x said:
Heritage_Farmboy":2xgzke5x said:
MikeC":2xgzke5x said:
skyeagle":2xgzke5x said:

cfpinz

Where do you live?...out near Staunton and Waynesboro?

Across Afton Mountain from Waynesboro. About 10 miles.

Last time I was out that way I thought the pasture looked pretty good...seen a good amount of hay some places...you know where Middlebrook and Greenville are?...I got a lot of hay from my land out there...it was tall and thick...a guy by the name of Terry Marshall baled it...he got about 1/8 of the hay and hauled all of the rest of it back here...just about all of it that i'm not using is sold now...you should have let me know yall didn't have any hay over your way...I would have sold some to you...that was the last cutting this year...aint going to plant any fall crops on it...next summer, if your in need of hay then let me know, it's more than I need and it's always more than enough for me to make it through the winter, so I sell it very cheap...we square bale it though, 4X4X8 squares...I aint sure if you prefer round or square bales, but I like squares better...stack em a lot better

Thanks for the offer, I'll keep that in mind. I've drug my poor equipment over every inch of ground in this county that looks good enough to cut, and some that wasn't, and think I've scrounged up enough, if we get a decent second cut. With the rain we've got recently, it looks promising. I usually have a few hundred rolls to sell myself each year, but this year I've already bought 100 or so. Not having that extra income from hay really puts a dent in the old budget. The areas around Stuarts Draft recieved a lot of rain that we didn't get back in May/June. The hay over your way didn't look near as thin as it was here. Funny how a half-hour drive can make a world of difference.

Thanks Again

cfpinz

cfpinz":3bowwm0i said:
Thanks for the offer, I'll keep that in mind. I've drug my poor equipment over every inch of ground in this county that looks good enough to cut, and some that wasn't, and think I've scrounged up enough, if we get a decent second cut. With the rain we've got recently, it looks promising. I usually have a few hundred rolls to sell myself each year, but this year I've already bought 100 or so. Not having that extra income from hay really puts a dent in the old budget. The areas around Stuarts Draft recieved a lot of rain that we didn't get back in May/June. The hay over your way didn't look near as thin as it was here. Funny how a half-hour drive can make a world of difference.

Thanks Again

cfpinz

I passed through Stuarts Draft about 4 days ago and I believe it just got done raining when I passed through...looked like their pasture were all in good condition...southern Virginia looked like they hadn't got much rain at all down there...I went down to my land in Danville to check it out...see if it was worth getting it baled...and it looked like crap...i'm glad I don't live down there...here in Highland County, our land is green as ever, I was getting worried for a few months though...then the rain started and it seems as if we get enough rain every week to keep everything growing here...and my neighbors grass was probably a little over 3 foot tall...he went over the top of it and cut it down a little bit then let all my cattle on his land...said he fenced off his land around his chicken houses and that he wasn't using the rest of the land for anything...so he told me I could put my cattle on it...I tried to pay him, but he wont take any money, so I have an extra 1,400 or so acres for my cattle this year...that was a big relief knowing they'd have plenty of land to graze on

Latest posts