The Lasater Philosophy of Cattle Raising

Help Support CattleToday:

Stocker Steve

Reaction score
I am reading a copy on how the Beefmaster breed was developed, and I am stuck by that while the breeds are different - - but the CO geographical location and the hard cull'in criteria are so similar to Pharo Cattle Company.

Is Beefmaster registration growing or are they the wrong color for today?

Stocker Steve":1e2o0efv said:
I am reading a copy on how the Beefmaster breed was developed, and I am stuck by that while the breeds are different - - but the CO geographical location and the hard cull'in criteria are so similar to Pharo Cattle Company.

I thought Lasater and Pharo was right opposite.

Lasater was for bigger is better, where Pharo was looking for smaller and more economical.

Now I do see where they are together on culling and paying attention to nature.

:cowboy: & :drink: and don't come home at all!

Stocker Steve":1yweem2i said:

if folks would quit treating BM like longhorns, and got back to lasaters type of animal...... color wouldnt be a problem...

i had several bm cattle and liked them but bm calves even in a x dont sell good here n ks.nice calves but they dock them big time just bcause they can.1 got 1 bm cow left that will calve n oct.shes bred to a pied bull.

TennesseeTuxedo":2405t5ja said:
Reading what they have to say about these cattle they seem to be a "miracle" breed of some sorts.

Looking for them on The Cattle Range only produced this one.

http://www.cattlerange.com/106C764-201/106C764-201.html

I'm terribly excited about this bull.
looks like somebody might not of honored the trademark agreement
:cowboy:

ALACOWMAN":rb1x6w12 said:
TennesseeTuxedo":rb1x6w12 said:
Reading what they have to say about these cattle they seem to be a "miracle" breed of some sorts.

The trademark agreement says you can't cross em and sell the crossbreeds for bulls. That one is purebred.

3waycross":6c1itbb1 said:
ALACOWMAN":6c1itbb1 said:
TennesseeTuxedo":6c1itbb1 said:

The trademark agreement says you can't cross em and sell the crossbreeds for bulls. That one is purebred.

With bulls like that, maybe the agreement should make crossbreeding mandatory!

I have seen that cowherd and there are some incredible bulls there, Red included. If they don't come from Maurice or Guy then who knows how they messed them up.

I finished part 1 of the book and thought I was on the right track by following half of the principles. Then I read the part 2 - - leasing ranches and leveraging cattle to sell premium breeding stock w/o much equity. Looks like I may not become a professional cattleman after all.

They are still growing but at a slower rate, The cows have great longevity 14 plus years, colors hurt them in the past with the sb and the Angus Marketing Machine( Which is awesome). Some breeders are going for the Red phenotype. I do not believ the smaller breeders are following the culling practices that he instills. They work great for me going from birth to freezer, I have less inputs with BM than angus ( I have tried both).http://www.nolanryanbeef.com

The three breeds that make up Beefmaster have no black in them but once a Brangus bull got slipped into the mix-now you have Black Beefmasters..................imagine that.

Latest posts