The knife and the moon

Help Support CattleToday:

I don't think its BS. Whenever I have cut pigs "on the sign" there's been little to no bleeding and they run off, and go about their business like nothing happened. When I have cut not "on the sign", I've had some that bleed quite a bit, a bunch that run to a corner and set there for a while, generally not all will do as well, right away.

As for calves, I band at or as close to birth as possible, I don't cut 'em.

me. and dehorn and even band. New moon is the cutoff day. (no pun intended)
My nearest neighbor follows this as well, tho he told me last month he found a newly castrated steer dead the day after, with a good amount of blood under it and he cut him under a waning sign.

callmefence":1b0fma1k said:
Who cuts on the waning moon.?
Who thinks it's BS.?
I've always simply cut when I had it planned. Nothing to do with the signs. Never lost one yet. My dad always went by the signs. As far as I can remember he never lost one either. To each his own.

I just wean or cut when ever I get the chance. Last year by chance I weaned by the moon and things went much smoother. I think it has some effect. Animals work on a different clock than we do.

I know folks that swear by weaning and cutting in certain signs, me I don't know anything about it and just do those things when it works out best to get it done. Had an old friend that used to comment whenever he heard somebody speak of cutting by the signs he would say he cuts when the knife is sharp.

Knife cut calves at birth here for 3 generations and have never seen a difference. Might be something to it with colts though, can't say for sure.

I like to cut in the sign, secrets or lower, and dropping. Grandpa did it that way, that's good enough for me. I wean by the sign when it's close to when I have dry lots. If not, then I might wean anyway. There is always somebody that bawls for a week either way.

I'm with Farm Fence. Getting everyone together is tough enuf. I never even think to look if its a good day or bad according to the moon. Its a good day if everyone shows up and no one gets hurt.

I cut some Sunday that hardly bled a drop. Then thought I needed to look at the signs. It was the wrong time. I know the weaning is better in the right signs.

Latest posts